Veloloop Triggers Inductive Road Sensors

Old October 7th 14, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Veloloop Triggers Inductive Road Sensors

sms wrote:
On 10/7/2014 2:08 PM, Joerg wrote:

It's not just cicties but also HOAs with their gates. They will not
likely accommodate bicyclists because they prefer folks to cruise up in
upper class Mercedes Benzes.

They don't accommodate pedestrians either. I can't remember exactly
where it was but I was dropping my daughter off for some scout training
and it was a gated commercial complex. They could open the gate from the
inside only by carrying a metal folding chair and waving it over the
loop detector. From the outside you needed a card key.

Or use a rope ladder :-)

Much of that gated community stuff is a joke. On Sunday I scoped out a
dog park that ended up not being there anymore. There is now a baseball
training field so I had my last snack and water bottle there, watching
them pitch and catch. Since I was on my MTB I then proceeded on a trail
which ended on a residential street I did not recognize. Wasn't on the
map yet. So I circled back and I came upon a heavily fortified manned
check point that I had seen before. But this time from the _inside_ :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 8th 14, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/#q=replacemen...d+loop+sensors
Old October 8th 14, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/7/2014 6:53 PM, Joerg wrote:

Much of that gated community stuff is a joke. On Sunday I scoped out a
dog park that ended up not being there anymore. There is now a baseball
training field so I had my last snack and water bottle there, watching
them pitch and catch. Since I was on my MTB I then proceeded on a trail
which ended on a residential street I did not recognize. Wasn't on the
map yet. So I circled back and I came upon a heavily fortified manned
check point that I had seen before. But this time from the _inside_ :-)

Were you able to escape?

I know a guy who lives in one of those communities, in Florida. One hot
August day I was trying to complete a 50 mile ride ending at his house.
It was nice and quiet (but hot) riding along the Atlantic, but just a
few miles from the end, the road I was on dumped me onto a super-busy
suburban four-lane.

I could see that a quiet beachfront street was just half a mile east,
but there was a gated community between me and that street. I asked the
20-something guard at the gate if he could let me through, but he
politely refused; and he warned me sternly NOT to use the next
neighborhood south. He said he always drove here with locked car doors,
and immediately got into his guardhouse because of that neighborhood nearby.

Well, it turns out the neighborhood's problem was that it was black. As
I rode through, all the little kids grinning and waving were black. So
were the ladies smiling as they drove past me. So were the parishioners
standing in front of the Baptist church.

I found my beachfront street, rode it to maybe half a mile from my
destination, then rode the highway and turned into the front gate. And
the white dude in the black Cadillac who was just behind me blared his
horn because I was in his way. The black people were far friendlier.

The guy who I was visiting says they do have problems with vandalism in
his gated community. The vandalism is done by the pampered teenagers
who live there.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 8th 14, 03:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, October 7, 2014 9:59:40 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Frank hails from Ohio....

ignore local advice.

about the teenagers....

you may wake up on a stick
Old October 8th 14, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris[_2_]

On Tuesday, October 7, 2014 9:35:59 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/natnat/veloloop-trigger-traffic-signals-from-your-bike

Somehow I don't think that this project is going to attract many

backers. Personally I rarely have a problem activating sensors with my

road bike or mountain bike and in the rare instances that happens there

is often a walk-signal button to press or a car comes along. Worst case,

I run the red light.

Maybe carbon fiber bicycles need this device.

I had a problem last year on my standard ride. There was a "T" intersection with poor sight lines and fast traffic. I would have to wait until a car came along behind me to trip the traffic sensor. I e-mailed the local Highway Department and they were on it the next day! They increased the sensitivity of the sensor and marked the spot to place my front wheel. It's been working fine ever since.

Art Harris

Old October 8th 14, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/8/2014 12:50 PM, Art Harris wrote:
[...]

There may be some reason related to liability, but they always seem to
fix this issue pretty quickly, at least in my experience.

Old October 8th 14, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/8/2014 3:50 PM, Art Harris wrote:

I had a problem last year on my standard ride. There was a "T"

intersection with poor sight lines and fast traffic. I would have
to wait until a car came along behind me to trip the traffic sensor.
I e-mailed the local Highway Department and they were on it the next
day! They increased the sensitivity of the sensor and marked the spot
to place my front wheel. It's been working fine ever since.

There's an Ohio Department of Transportation phone number for that.
From the Ohio Bicycle Federation website:

"Reporting malfunctioning traffic signals

"If you do not have contact information for the jurisdiction controlling
malfunctioning traffic lights, call 614-387-0722 or email to report the
location and they'll inform the responsible city/county and recommend
increasing the sensitivity and/or installing symbols where to place the
bicycle to trigger the detector. "

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 9th 14, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, October 7, 2014 6:59:40 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Yes, and those black people are so wise and magical like Bagger Vance and Morgan Freeman. The white man is the devil. Literally. Cadillac spelled backwards is callidaC, which is Aramaic for "satan." You can look it up.

Did you happen to run in to any Asians? I hear they are very industrious.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 9th 14, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 10/9/2014 12:48 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I think sarcasm is wasted here Jay.

Old October 9th 14, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/9/2014 10:30 AM, Duane wrote:
[...]

I think he should go get some KFC, watermelon, and grape soda.