Fule face helmet - review

Old January 13th 04, 11:44 PM
Mikefule

Default Fule face helmet - review

In my MUni accident a week or two back, I fell forwards and down a short
slope and landed chin first on a rock. I thought I'd broken my jaw, but
hadn't. I needed 7 stitches in my chin, and I needed a tooth to be
rebuilt. The rock was undamaged, which is just as well as it was
National Park property.

Time to consider a full face helmet? I ride hundreds of miles a year,
most of it cross country or light MUni. I'm more of a mud plugger than
a rock hopper. So far, I have never hit the ground with my helmet!
However, a broken jaw would have put me out of action for a very long
time, causing difficulties with a range of activities from eating to
drinking, and including wearing a motorcycle helmet or fencing mask, or
playing harmonica. I now know how easiliy it could happen to me.

So, someone in this forum suggested a Switchblade helmet. I did look on
the internet, but I prefer to see and touch before I buy, so I went to
my local shop, Super Cycles, in Nottingham.

They had about 4 models of full face helmet in, including the
Switchblade - and what a lovely helmet it is: light, elegant, stylish,
well ventilated... and, in my opinion, totally unsuited for
unicycling.

My injury was almost exactly on the jaw line, on the underside of the
chin. I fell forwards and did a swallow dive, with no opportunity to
roll. My chest hit the floor and my head whipped forward, and the
bottom of my jaw hit the rock. I imagine that such an accident would be
fairly rare on a mountainbike or BMX. I could be wrong, but my limited
experience of bicycle accidents suggests that you either fall sideways
and roll, or you go over the handlebars, in which case you land in a
tangled mess, but not usually with a full face-plant. A workmate who
rides serious downhill mountain bike broadly agrees.

The Switchblade, like most of the other helmets on display, has a
lightweight, high chin guard which would protect your chin very well
indeed if you fell and rolled. However, the line of the chinguard is so
high that the bottom of your chin is almost exposed to an upward blow.
(Think of being 'uppercut' by a rock. That's more or less what happened
to me.) Also, the chinguard projects quite a long way, which gives it a
fair amount of leverage. Try as I might, I could not adjust the
Switchblade (or most of the other helmets) to meet both of the following
criteria:
1) Comfortable enough to wear for an extended period.
2) Secure enough not to ride up and expose the bottom of the jaw in
the event of an 'uppercut'.

No good at all. Beautiful, elegant, useless - not unlike myself.

I bought an Odyssey Apache 2. The website is www.odysseybmx.com
although I can't find the exact helmet on there. The site shows the
Odyssey Apache 3 which is broadly the same.

The helmet is quite heavy, being made of 4 layers of hand laid
fibreglass. It has six vents, but is less well ventilated than a
typical road helmet. It has a quick release buckle, but any adjustment
of the tension is by laboriously pulling the webbing through the bcukle,
unlike my 'road' helmet which can be adjusted 2 ways whilst on the
move.

On the head, it feels almost like a motorbike helmet. It's a bit heavy,
but feels solid and reasuring. The chin guard feels like it will take a
good whack, and the whole helmet feels secure. There is a peak which
can be removed. In place, the peak may serve to give additional facial
protection in the event of a face plant, and it will deflect twigs,
leaves and so on if you're riding though the woods.

I've just done a ride of around 8-10 miles on the 28 on a cold windy
night. I was glad of the additional warmth of the full face helmet, so
that probably means it will be hot on a summer's day ride.

I hope never to test the helmet's impact-resisting properties. However,
I'm reasonably satisfied that it is a good buy and will be suitable for
downhill MUni or high speed Coker runs. I dare say there are plenty of
similar helmets available. Just two things I'd like to stress:

1) If your riding puts you at risk of this type of fall, consider the
implications of a broken jaw. A full face helmet doesn't look as silly
as a line of stitches on your chin - I know, because I've tried both.

2) If you decide to buy one, check how it will protect you against a
blow to the underside of the jaw. Don't just assume that light weight,
style and high price guarantee the best helmet. They are all made for
bicyclists, and we have subtly different accidents.

I will still wear a 'normal' helmet on more moderate rides.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Sometimes I ride like a demon, sometimes like a lemon. It's an L of a
difference.

Old January 14th 04, 04:24 AM
onewheeldave

I read your account of that accident and it sounded pretty nasty; I know
from experience how it feels to UPD and, for a second, believe that
you've broken something.

I was wondering if you'd got any tips, other than wearing a full face
helmet for avoiding this kind of jaw injury.

Tonight I was out on my 29-er and had about 3 UPDs, all of which I
walked out of with no problems, however, I know that I can't assume all
UPDs will be so straightforward.

If I undestand your description correctly the problem wasn't that your
face hit the ground, but that your chest did and this caused a whiplash
effect leading to your jaw hitting?

Have you any idea what prevented your arms from taking the impact?

Also, do you reckon that the fact that you were doing a drop was a prime
factor, or could this have occurred just from riding forwards?

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

Old January 14th 04, 08:43 AM
Mikefule

It would be exaggerating to call it a proper drop. Imagine a short
slope down, with a step of about 8 inches down, then a short slope down.
I went over the step and as I hit the bottom slope I catapulted
forwards.

As far as I can tell, the exact sequence of impacts was this - and it
was more or less symmetrical as I went straight forwards:

1) Hands hit the floor, protected by wristguards.
2) Some of the shock transmitted up my arms cusing some shoulder pain
later.
3) Chest hit the floor mor or less flat.
4) Head, which had been pulled back, whipped forwards and chin hit the
rock.

The rock in question was standing proud of the ground by an inch or two,
which didn't help.

I have had only one similar UPD, and that was on the Coker at high speed
on the flat. On that occasion, I slid down the road on my belly,and
managed to keep my chin off the floor.

Tips for avoiding it? Er... buy a tricycle.

UPDs can happen very suddenly. Usually they are no problem. 9 times
out of ten I land on my feet, although occasionally I fall after a step
or two. However, UPDs when riding down a hill can be frightening -
especially if one of your short term objectives is to avoid trashing
your legs on the pedals.

I will use the Fule face helmet when this type of UPD seems likely: hard
MUni, or high speed Cokering.

Old January 14th 04, 09:34 AM
Checkernuts

Full face helmets sound like overkill to me, the chances of hitting your
chin as you did seems very slim to me, breaking a wrist or leg seems
like it would be much more common and its still low.

The rare upd is allways out there, but a bulky downhill/bmx full face
helmet seems like it would be more of a nucence and cause more upd's to
me than anything else. Your accadent was bad and could have been much
worse, but I dont think that its more a bad roll of the dice of life
than anything else. I mean you could have been sprinting arround the
same speed and tripped and had the same injury.

Speedy Recoveries
MiKE

--
Checkernuts - Me Fail English? That's Unpossible

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

Old January 14th 04, 09:43 AM
john_childs

onewheeldave wrote:
*I was wondering if you'd got any tips, other than wearing a full face
helmet for avoiding this kind of jaw injury.*

Probably learning to tuck and roll is the best way to avoid that type of
impact injury during a hard UPD (crash). Martial arts training might
give you the reflexes to tuck and roll instead of a belly flop and an
excavation of the trail with the chin or face.

Watching people like Kris Holm crash or bail is a lesson in agility.
His reflexes and agility is one reason he hasn't been hurt doing what he
does.

Me, I'm a belly flopper. I don't have the agile reflexes or the tuck
and roll instinct. I'm an injury waiting to happen. I do need to learn
to tuck and roll and how to properly fall. I've never had any martial
arts training or anything similar and it shows.

It's probably a good idea for the folks wanting to ride very
aggressively to get some martial arts training in the proper way to
fall. And it's probably better to get that training when you're young
and the reflexes are more trainable, rather than when you're older and
the reflexes are more set in their ways.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old January 14th 04, 01:09 PM
GILD

john_childs wrote:
*It's probably a good idea for the folks wanting to ride very
aggressively to get some martial arts training in the proper way to
fall. And it's probably better to get that training when you're young
and the reflexes are more trainable, rather than when you're older and
the reflexes are more set in their ways. *

or just buy a full-face helmet

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser

'SPACESHIP EARTH' (http://www.therainforestsite.com/home)

Namaste!
Dave

Old January 14th 04, 01:56 PM
joemarshall

GILD wrote:
*

or just buy a full-face helmet *

That's okay if you don't think full-face helmets have a negative side.

Personally, I think the most dangerous thing for a rider is to be tired
or dehydrated, as I've had all my worst crashes when tired. If a
full-face makes it more tiring to ride or makes me overheat more, then
I'd not wear one.

The trick with rolling, is that you don't need to roll head over heels,
you can roll sideways or any which way. You just need to not slam
straight down. Having a camelbak or other rucksack is particularly good
for this as you roll onto your camelbak and don't hurt your back.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

Old January 14th 04, 06:17 PM
paco

joemarshall wrote:
*The trick with rolling, is that you don't need to roll head over
heels, you can roll sideways or any which way. You just need to not
slam straight down. Having a camelbak or other rucksack is
particularly good for this as you roll onto your camelbak and don't
hurt your back.

Joe *

But in doing that, you might damage your camelbak!
The real trick is to only ride in deep snow, or to not ride at all and
spend all your time watching unicycle videos and posting on this site.
I wouldn't recommend any of this.

--
paco - Proud owner of 2 opposable thumbs

You might as well ask, which is the loudest musical instrument when it
isn't being played.
-Mikefule
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

Old January 14th 04, 06:56 PM
Mikefule

I have a limited amount of martial arts traing, having done Judo many
years ago. I also dance, unicycle and fence so I reckon my general
coordination and reflexes are pretty good for a 41 year old.

However, the rolling thing only works if you can dissipate the energy of
the fall by rolling, and if you can be sure that you won't roll onto
something worse. So if you fall exactly forwards, as I have done twice,
then the roll will have to be forwards, although Iwould normally tuck
one shoulder rather than doing a classic 'forward roll'.

Rolling forwards down a hill may not be the best answer, and rolling
over and hitting the next rock might be a very bad answer.

Be that as it may, the protection is there for when the technique fails,
not for when it succeeds.

My strategy for avoiding injuries is as follows, in this order:
1) Ride within my capabilities most of the time.
2) Be selective about when I push the limits - taking into account
surrounding obstacles and hazards which might exacerbate the
consequences of a fall.
3) Compensate for a temporary increase in risk by adjusting my speed
and stance as appropriate.
4) Run or roll out of a fall.
5) Rely on protection such as a helmet or wristguards.

On the occasion in question:
1) No!
2) Not well enough.
3) Not nearly well enough!
4) No realistic opportunity.
5) Wristguards DID help; a full face helmet would have helped.

I'm not a safety fascist, but I do think it's fair to share my
experience because some of you may have made a decision about what you
wear without fully appreciating the risk. I'm not a safety nerd,
either. Arnold the Aardvark (Alan) will remember our first MUni ride
together, where I wore no padding, gloves, or helmet, and wore a
sleeveless vest and tried to keep up with him.

I have now ridden a grand total of about 8 miles on a 28 with 110 mm
cranks, in the dark, in about a force 6 gusting 7, wearing the Fule face
helmet. I did not find that it introduced any new risks or hazards to
the procedure. Dehydration, I'll grant you, could be a problem in the
heat... but NOTHING makes you sweat more than a full Camelbak... except
thinking you've broken a bone and you're a long way from help.