Phil Wood Hub

Old October 9th 04, 07:34 PM
peter

Default Phil Wood Hub

I received a wheel with a Phil Wood rear hub that is so tight
the wheel does not spin.

Being unfamiliar with PW hubs, I have to ask if someone knows
what the problem is and how to fix it.

I have loosened the axle end caps. That helps a bit, but this
doesn't seem right. Is there something else that should be done?

TIA

Peter

Old October 10th 04, 12:15 AM
Luke

In article , peter
wrote:

I received a wheel with a Phil Wood rear hub that is so tight
the wheel does not spin.

Being unfamiliar with PW hubs, I have to ask if someone knows
what the problem is and how to fix it.

I have loosened the axle end caps. That helps a bit, but this
doesn't seem right. Is there something else that should be done?

TIA

Peter

If it's a FSC/A hub, take it apart and have a look. I believe the
product manuals are available online at http://www.philwood.com
Perhaps some of the cartridges are not properly seated.

Luke

Old October 10th 04, 04:57 AM
Jeff Wills

peter wrote in message . ..
I received a wheel with a Phil Wood rear hub that is so tight
the wheel does not spin.

Being unfamiliar with PW hubs, I have to ask if someone knows
what the problem is and how to fix it.

I have loosened the axle end caps. That helps a bit, but this
doesn't seem right. Is there something else that should be done?

Sounds like it needs an overhaul and bearing replacement. You could
pry out the bearing seals and drench the bearings in oil in an attempt
to get it to loosen up, but in the end it may be easier to send it to
Phil Wood:
http://www.philwood.com/pservices.htm

Jeff

Old October 11th 04, 12:52 AM
A Muzi

peter wrote:
I received a wheel with a Phil Wood rear hub that is so tight
the wheel does not spin.
Being unfamiliar with PW hubs, I have to ask if someone knows
what the problem is and how to fix it.
I have loosened the axle end caps. That helps a bit, but this
doesn't seem right. Is there something else that should be done?

I assume this is a used hub? With a jeweler's screwdriver or
a small blade, lift a bearing seal. Are the bearings rusted
solid? They are readily available at any bearing house and
easily replaced.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old October 11th 04, 03:03 AM
daveornee

peter Wrote:
I received a wheel with a Phil Wood rear hub that is so tight
the wheel does not spin.

Being unfamiliar with PW hubs, I have to ask if someone knows
what the problem is and how to fix it.

I have loosened the axle end caps. That helps a bit, but this
doesn't seem right. Is there something else that should be done?

TIA

Peter

Your hub sounds like a Field Serviceable Axle type.
You should be able to remove the axle and check the bearing cartridge
independently. If the cartridges themselves are the problem they ca
be replaced. If the cartridges rotate with just a little seal drag yo
can look under the seal to see the condition of the grease and th
bearings. If all of this checks out, you have an assembly issue.
If you need replacement bearings you can get them from Phil Woo
dealers, other bicycle shops, or many industrial bearing houses.
The chart on the Phil Wood site may help you figure out which ones yo
need:

http://www.philwood.com/webcatolog/pg18.htm

The 6XXX series is what you will need when talking to most suppliers.
However, there are differences of seals, shields, open, materials o
retainers, quality of bearings, etc. that will complicate the choic
somewhat

--
daveornee

Old October 11th 04, 03:11 PM
peter

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 18:52:46 -0500, A Muzi
wrote:

peter wrote:
I received a wheel with a Phil Wood rear hub that is so tight
the wheel does not spin.
Being unfamiliar with PW hubs, I have to ask if someone knows
what the problem is and how to fix it.
I have loosened the axle end caps. That helps a bit, but this
doesn't seem right. Is there something else that should be done?

I assume this is a used hub? With a jeweler's screwdriver or
a small blade, lift a bearing seal. Are the bearings rusted
solid? They are readily available at any bearing house and
easily replaced.

Unfortunately, it was not a used hub. It is a new one.
Neither the wheel builder nor Phil Wood will respond with any help.

Peter