Mounting Tubeless Tire on tubeless rim

Old November 5th 06, 04:41 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Mounting Tubeless Tire on tubeless rim

Hello, I got my first flat on my Bontrager Revolt Super X mounted on a
Bontrager Race Lite tubeless ready rim (with a tube inside). Luckily
the tire went flat when I got home. It was somewhat difficult taking
the tire off to get at the tube but I managed. My problem is that I
can't get the tire back on the rim. As hard as I try I can't get the
blasted thing back on. Is there some kind of trick to putting these
tires back on? I tried the soapy water trick but that didn't seem to
help. Maybe I need more soap? This is really frustrating. I'm glad
this didn't happen to me on the trail.

Thanks for any advice.

Old November 7th 06, 03:41 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
troutboy

wrote:
As hard as I try I can't get the
blasted thing back on. Is there some kind of trick to putting these
tires back on? I tried the soapy water trick but that didn't seem to
help. Maybe I need more soap? This is really frustrating. I'm glad
this didn't happen to me on the trail.

Thanks for any advice.

Well, do you mean you can't physically get the tire back on the rim or
you can't get the tire to "seat" and hold air ?

If the former, you just need to find the combo of pushing on one side
while rolling the tire over the rim on the opposite side. Some
tire/rim combos are very difficult to get on and require a bit more
effort. There are numerous sources out there for how to mount a tire
on a rim.

If the latter, it might be because you are not getting enough air into
the tire quickly enough. Getting the tire to seal on the rim requires
a quick inflation. Try:

1) Removing the valve core and pumping the tire.
2) Using a CO2 cartridge (I find this works best).
3) Using an air compressor that is acceptable for bike tires (i.e.,
don't try the one at your local gas station).

If the latter is your problem, you can also take a look at the neat
video on the website for Stan's Tire Sealant.

TS

leaking tubeless tire valve stem di Mountain Biking 2 May 1st 06 09:29 AM
Tubeless Tire Conversion?? Bill Wheeler Mountain Biking 34 January 20th 05 06:41 PM
how to identify a tubeless tire? Timo Mountain Biking 13 November 8th 04 01:42 AM
tubeless W.S. O'Neal Off Road 2 December 31st 03 03:30 PM
Tubeless? Jon Bond Mountain Biking 4 July 7th 03 02:42 AM