Shimano Metal Shifter Cable Ferrules

Old September 8th 09, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Sr.

Default Shimano Metal Shifter Cable Ferrules

Hello,

I was changing a shifter cable recently on my Ultegra equipped road
bike. when looking at the cable housings I noticed two different types
of metal ferrules.

One type of ferrule had no inside it i.e you could see the aluminum
end with the cable exit hole. The other type was physically longer
than the first and had some type of white plastic? bushing or sleeve
inside it. The bushing

Are these different ferrules intended for different locations and if
so which type goes where? Is one type superior to the other in terms
of performance?

Thanks,

Steve
Old September 9th 09, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 8 Sep, 01:28, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

I was changing a shifter cable recently on my Ultegra equipped road
bike. when looking at the cable housings I noticed two different types
of metal ferrules.

One type of *ferrule had no inside it i.e you could see the aluminum
end with the cable exit hole. The other type *was physically longer
than the first and had some type of white plastic? bushing or sleeve
inside it. The bushing

Are these different ferrules intended for different locations and if
so which type goes where? Is one type superior to the other in terms
of performance?

The ferrule is to stop the casing wire unwinding into the hole through
which the inner passes on the abutting part. It prevents the outer
wire jamming against the inner by preventing displacement of the coil
wire near the abutment.. This is its function, rather simple, not
requiring complex design. A short stub of tight fitting tube is all
that is required. Complications are unecessary. The tube has an end
because it aint so tight, to ease fitting in production assembly
environment, and could otherwise displace.