Skinsuits considered harmful

Old January 28th 10, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Skinsuits considered harmful

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/sp...s/28suits.html

This is why mountain biking turned super pro and then
fell from popularity - too much lycra in an originally
dirtbag anti-establishment sport - and the snowboarders
are avoiding that mistake. If pro MTB races still featured
characters like Tomac and Phelan, blown-out jeans, and
Repack, someone might care about them.

Maybe the UCI can work on a similar effort to reverse
the course of history, after they work out the details of
this radio-ban business. Is the pants-bagginess
regulation actually crazier than the UCI rules about
seat position?

Ben
Paola Pezzo is still allowed to wear lycra though
Old January 28th 10, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Henry[_4_]

On Jan 28, 5:58*pm, "
wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/sp...s/28suits.html

This is why mountain biking turned super pro and then
fell from popularity - too much lycra in an originally
dirtbag anti-establishment sport - and the snowboarders
are avoiding that mistake. *If pro MTB races still featured
characters like Tomac and Phelan, blown-out jeans, and
Repack, someone might care about them.

Maybe the UCI can work on a similar effort to reverse
the course of history, after they work out the details of
this radio-ban business. *Is the pants-bagginess
regulation actually crazier than the UCI rules about
seat position?

Ben
Paola Pezzo is still allowed to wear lycra though

dumbass (can I call you dumbass ?)
[sigh]
never mind
Old January 29th 10, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Henry wrote:
On Jan 28, 5:58 pm, "
wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/sp...s/28suits.html

This is why mountain biking turned super pro and then
fell from popularity - too much lycra in an originally
dirtbag anti-establishment sport - and the snowboarders
are avoiding that mistake. If pro MTB races still featured
characters like Tomac and Phelan, blown-out jeans, and
Repack, someone might care about them.

Maybe the UCI can work on a similar effort to reverse
the course of history, after they work out the details of
this radio-ban business. Is the pants-bagginess
regulation actually crazier than the UCI rules about
seat position?

Ben
Paola Pezzo is still allowed to wear lycra though

dumbass (can I call you dumbass ?)
[sigh]
never mind

Proper rbr protocol is:

Dumbass,

[leave blank]
Old January 29th 10, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/sp...s/28suits.html

This is why mountain biking turned super pro and then
fell from popularity - too much lycra in an originally
dirtbag anti-establishment sport - and the snowboarders
are avoiding that mistake. If pro MTB races still featured
characters like Tomac and Phelan, blown-out jeans, and
Repack, someone might care about them.

Wrong. The decline in the popularity of mountain biking can be traced to
the beginning of dope tests. If pro MTB races still featured spliff
breaks, someone might care about them.
Old January 29th 10, 05:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
GoneBeforeMyTime[_2_]

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,

Okay, but they are trying too hard.

I don't see how, but I don't see anything wrong with it either. If you are
seen riding a bike from the store in America carrying groceries, people
immediately think you are a bum and shout at you to go buy a car. I think we
are trying too hard with our cars.

This is how things used to be, from the blog..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HgLqts3qJs

Old February 1st 10, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_3_]

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
I wear thrift-store wool pants that I get retailored into cycling
knickers, over top of knee-high argyle socks. It's neither lycra nor
normal.

The tailoring costs more than the pants,

How do you knickerize the pants? Do you just have them
hemmed below the knee? Is there an elastic or velcro
closure there?

I have a pair of wool ski knickers that date from high
school. I wore them for many years until.. well, until
I couldn't fit into stuff from high school. But I still
have the over-the-knee wool socks.

I may check out the local thrift store. You can still
get wool knickers but they ain't cheap.

Bob Schwartz
Old February 2nd 10, 10:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Bob Schwartz wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
I wear thrift-store wool pants that I get retailored into cycling
knickers, over top of knee-high argyle socks. It's neither lycra nor
normal.

The tailoring costs more than the pants,

How do you knickerize the pants? Do you just have them
hemmed below the knee? Is there an elastic or velcro
closure there?

My tailor blind-sews an elastic cuff into the much-shorter hem. I
usually try to tuck the cuff under the knicker so it doesn't show,
creating a slightly blousier effect not quite reminiscent of a golfer's
plus-fours. Do get it cut fairly far below the knee, though.

This isn't "correct" or "authentic", but it works well and looks good,
and doesn't cost too much. I think I paid C$25 for my last hem.

I have a pair of wool ski knickers that date from high
school. I wore them for many years until.. well, until
I couldn't fit into stuff from high school. But I still
have the over-the-knee wool socks.

I ended up buying wool argyles in my team colors from a UK vendor.
They're Pantherella.

I may check out the local thrift store. You can still
get wool knickers but they ain't cheap.

And non-wool if you're so inclined. It's an affectation to wear these,
but a charming one. They're arguably the best compromise between keeping
your pants out of the chain while not looking like you're dressed for a
bike ride. You will look like an eccentric loon, but that's not so bad.

Old February 2nd 10, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kyle Legate[_2_]

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article ,
Bob Schwartz wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
I wear thrift-store wool pants that I get retailored into cycling
knickers, over top of knee-high argyle socks. It's neither lycra nor
normal.

The tailoring costs more than the pants,

How do you knickerize the pants? Do you just have them
hemmed below the knee? Is there an elastic or velcro
closure there?

My tailor blind-sews an elastic cuff into the much-shorter hem. I
usually try to tuck the cuff under the knicker so it doesn't show,
creating a slightly blousier effect not quite reminiscent of a golfer's
plus-fours. Do get it cut fairly far below the knee, though.

Do you also get a chamois sewn in, or are you made of harder material
than most?
Old February 3rd 10, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Feb 1, 12:16*pm, Bob Schwartz
wrote:
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
I wear thrift-store wool pants that I get retailored into cycling
knickers, over top of knee-high argyle socks. It's neither lycra nor
normal.

The tailoring costs more than the pants,

How do you knickerize the pants? Do you just have them
hemmed below the knee? Is there an elastic or velcro
closure there?

I have a pair of wool ski knickers that date from high
school. I wore them for many years until.. well, until
I couldn't fit into stuff from high school. But I still
have the over-the-knee wool socks.

I may check out the local thrift store. You can still
get wool knickers but they ain't cheap.

Thrift store wool pants are the shiz for XC skiing and
that sort of cold-weather outdoor stuff. I'm not
organized enough for any kind of hemming but
tend to wear gaiters in snow now. I never had the
over the knee wool socks. Sure could have
used them with my first pair of XC ski boots, which
were those low-cut things, lower and floppier than
a pair of today's running shoes. What were
they thinking?

Ben

Old February 3rd 10, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Kyle Legate wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article ,
Bob Schwartz wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
I wear thrift-store wool pants that I get retailored into cycling
knickers, over top of knee-high argyle socks. It's neither lycra nor
normal.

The tailoring costs more than the pants,

How do you knickerize the pants? Do you just have them
hemmed below the knee? Is there an elastic or velcro
closure there?

My tailor blind-sews an elastic cuff into the much-shorter hem. I
usually try to tuck the cuff under the knicker so it doesn't show,
creating a slightly blousier effect not quite reminiscent of a golfer's
plus-fours. Do get it cut fairly far below the knee, though.

Do you also get a chamois sewn in, or are you made of harder material
than most?

I'm ubermanly. Also, I just wear a pair of bike shorts underneath.
Mostly. If it's a short trip, I just wear underwear.

This has the added benefit of keeping the wool pants cleaner, so I don't
have to fret about continual hand-washing.