Coaster Brake Failure

Old March 2nd 19, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Coaster Brake Failure

On 3/2/2019 7:49 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 10:03:53 PM UTC-5, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
On 3/1/2019 2:38 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:

I've always thought that it would not be difficult to build a mechanism
that clamps onto the rear derailleur shift cable and uses the rear gear
selection to trim the front derailleur. You don't need a CPU to pull off
that trick.

http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponen...3-2787beac2bb0

Brilliant, just freaking brilliant.

The inside of those shifters is pretty simple too = basically just a cam and recess.

Yes, and I appreciate simplicity and design elegance. They seem a bit
undervalued these days.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 2nd 19, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/2/2019 9:44 AM, Theodore Heise wrote:

For a couple of years, I used my fixie to get to and from work;
about a 10 mile ride each way. I now live just over a mile away,
which I find too short to mess with bike clothing and stowage.

Holy cow, one mile from work doesn't require a bit of bike clothing! I
rode seven miles each way in office casual clothes.

Granted, I didn't ride every day. But for another job in a southern
state, I was 2.6 miles away and rode every day in office casual
clothing. That was despite some brutal summer heat.

A few years ago I built up a nice lightweight three speed bike. One
specific objective was that it requires absolutely no clothing
adjustments, not even pinning my pant cuffs. I just jump on and ride.
It's fine for rides up to ten miles or so.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 2nd 19, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/2/2019 11:09 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

+1
If I had to change clothing or shoes every time I ran an
errand on a bike I'd probably quit riding.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 2nd 19, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

On 2019-02-27 14:47, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 08:09:04 -0800, Joerg

On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design
100+ years
old?

They must have improved it.

In German there is the inofficial word
"verschlimmbessern". It sums
up the action of "Here we have a working design but
let's optimize it
anyhow" and then it all goes to pots. A very common
scenario in
software design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp_D8r-2hwk

Sometimes those things happen for reasons Tom mentioned.
People using
library modules that others have written, assuming
everything in those
we be just fine. And then things aren't.

This is one of the reasons why I prefer gear with the
least amount of
electronics and software in there and, for example, will
never be caught
with electronic shifters on a bicycle.

True, but then people also have had the metal shift cables
break and
been restricted to a single gear. It appears that
everything is
subject to failure :-)

That is very rare, more so than a derailer ripped away by a
rock.

Main thing is, with batteries the number of available shifts
per charge is finite. I was told that front shifts are
especially hard on the battery and on mountainous
singletrack that's used a lot.

If I had north of $1k burning in my pocket I'd rather spend
that on a Rohloff. That one allows shifts across the
complete gear range at very low or zero speed which is very
useful in MTB riding. To heck with the extra weight.

Old fashioned junk. Try to keep up:

https://bikerumor.com/2019/02/24/rot...pset-at-1785g/

13-speed, yikes. When that has run it's course they'll offer 14-speed.
When will we have CVT for bicycles?

I recently installed a longer rear derailer, a hanger extender and a
11-40T cassette. I hacked it to fit the old 6-speed road bike, now
7-speed. For a guy getting older and having moved into hill country
that makes a major difference. The only downside with such a large
cassette for me is when I stop pedaling too suddenly or pedal
backwards a little to level the cranks for a water crossing. Then the
chain slaps violently and hits the right chainstay. Happens only when
on the smaller sprockets, due to the flywheel effect. So now there is
a piece of slit pool sweep hose on top of that as "sacrificial material".

They make modern rear derailleurs with a "clutch" in/on the jockey
pulley to avoid just this chain-slap problem. Example:
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...-RX800-GS.html

The described "on-off switch" is for the clutch.

Interesting! However, that derailer retails north of $100. My solution
with a $20 derailer and a chunk of plastic hose with three cable ties
leaves $80 to spend at bicycle gas stations, a.k.a. brewpubs :-)

An upside is that such kludges along with mud caked onto the frame and a
hose clamp fix on the steerer greatly reduce the chance of this bike
being stolen while in a city.

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Hoseclamp.JPG

If you ever decide to fix it in a similarly cheap, but more aesthetically
pleasing fashion, cut a strip out of an old inner tube, then wrap it around
the chainstay and super glue it to itself on the inside of the chainstay.

Old March 2nd 19, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 12:09:27 -0500,
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/2/2019 9:44 AM, Theodore Heise wrote:

For a couple of years, I used my fixie to get to and from
work; about a 10 mile ride each way. I now live just over a
mile away, which I find too short to mess with bike clothing
and stowage.

Holy cow, one mile from work doesn't require a bit of bike
clothing! I rode seven miles each way in office casual clothes.

It does when it's cold or raining. The stowage is a bother too;
specifically, no good place to put the bike at work, time to get
the laptop and paperwork stowed so it will stay dry, and so on.

I understand it's not a big deal, but it's more than I want to
mess with for one mile on the bike.

Also, wWhen it's 90 F/90% RH I'm gonna arrive at work soaked, even
taking it easy. Just not a good trade off. For me. Obviously,
the decision process is dependent on a lot of factors--most of
which are individual preferences.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old March 2nd 19, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2/25/19 5:06 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

On the MTB I found that tube rubber wears away really quickly from chain
slap when used as a chainstay protector. What I used was thick clear
plastic tube as it used to be found on pressure-operated swimming pool
sweeps. That leaves the native blue paint effect of my bike intact.
Well, until it becomes scratched and dirty. Nowadays it's often white,
not so pretty. However, thick plastic tubing of various diameters can be
bought cheaply by the foot in hardware stores. That stuff is quite strong.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old March 2nd 19, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2/25/19 5:06 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Why not just cut a section of steel pipe lengthwise and hose clamp that? Ypu'd NEVER have to replace it.

Cheers
Old March 3rd 19, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2/25/19 5:06 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I'd have to paint that and with all the chain slap it would become rusty
really soon anyhow. I do not like plastic but for some situations it's
really the best option. The plastic tubing has been on there for a few
hundred miles and it is still fine. As a nice side effect that plastic
also muffles the sound.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old March 3rd 19, 02:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

On 2/25/19 5:06 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Or just buy a roll of helicopter tape, enough for several dozen bikes.

Old March 3rd 19, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Radey Shouman wrote:

On 2/25/19 5:06 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Cool. Never heard of the stuff before. Thanks.