Wheel weight

Old March 7th 19, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Wheel weight

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 18:37:20 +1100, James
wrote:

For the ride I mentioned, there was no need for navigation aids. I knew
the route, though a part of it I had never been on.

You're lucky that you have the area roads memorized. In my part of
the planet, the paper map makers decided to save themselves some
future work by including planned roads in the paper maps. As these
roads were built, there was no need to issue annual updated maps. Roll
forward about 50 years and many of these planned roads were never
build. The result is GPS mapping hell, where drivers who follow their
GPS route advice find themselves thoroughly lost. I sent corrections
to Google maps, which removed a few of the offending roads from their
maps, for about 6 months, when they mysteriously reappeared.

These daze, I demand that first time visitors to my house download and
print a map with the proper route somewhat clearly marked:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/1540%20Jackson%20Ave.jpg
Those who failed to do so invariably get lost trying to drive on
non-existent roads.

Lesson learned: With navigation aids, it's "trust but verify".

I have one of those USB charging circuits that can be powered by a
dynamo. The trouble is, most phones need a bit more than 3W to keep
them charged and track your location, etc.

Perhaps you need a bigger dynamo or perhaps the assistance of an
auxiliary dynamo:

Hand crank USB charger for phones Complete review!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTIfI_3Ry-0

How To Make A Simple Hand-Crank Phone Charger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFvjqZTCqP4

Survival 30W Hand Crank Generator(Phones/Tablets & More)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMdeu9GhTT0

Or, just buy a smartphone with a monster battery:

Energizer’s jaw-dropping 18,000mAh battery phone is absolutely massive
https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/energizer-battery-phone-power-max-p18k-pop-3665107

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old March 7th 19, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 8/3/19 4:29 am, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 18:41:03 +1100, James
wrote:

On 7/3/19 2:11 pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 13:09:30 +1100, James
wrote:

On 7/3/19 7:22 am, wrote:

Where do you ride your bike at 15-20 hours at a stretch?

I rode 10 hours for 250 km over two big mountains (Mt Hotham and Falls
Creek), not to mention Tawonga Gap. That would have killed my phone
battery trying to navigate through all the mobile black spots, in a
couple of hours I reckon.

The average bicycle dynamo can deliver 3 watts. If you ride for 10
hrs, that's 30 watt-hrs. Assuming an inefficient 5V USB battery
charger, that's 6 amp-hrs or 6,000 ma-hrs. Assuming a smartphone with
a modest 2,000 ma-hr battery inside, you could completely recharge
your battery 3 times during your 10 hr ride. If you don't want the
added load while climbing hills, then you can recharge perhaps 1.5
times during the ride. If you use an mapping app that allows you to
store maps on your smartphone, you don't need cellular connectivity
during the ride and can therefore operating in airplane mode to save
power.

Methinks you accidentally sent me your comments via email instead of
posting them to the newsgroup. I've inserted them below:

Oops! Thanks.

In airplane mode, how does it know where you are? (Mine doesn't have a GPS).

How does your mapping software know where you are without a GPS? In
the USA, a GPS is mandatory because of 911 location requirements. The
only mapping devices that don't have built in GPS receivers are some
low end laptops and Chromebooks. What maker and model are you using?

An old one.

My point was, airplane mode isn't very useful. A phone is for
communicating. Can't do that in airplane mode.

Even my current phone has limited memory and when I tried to download
maps I soon ran out of it.

Most phones need more than 3W to keep the backlight on and CPU tracking
your location and displaying a map, etc.

The programs that I use on my various Android phones (My Trails)
allows me to control the GPS sampling time in order to keep the power
draw reasonable. They also have various "battery save" options to
reduce overall drain. My current phone, a Samsung S4 (my S6 blew up),
does not have a power consumption graph in the settings. I'll see if
I can find an app and check its consumption.

Incidentally, the charging current from a 3 watt source is close to
the typical 500ma charging current of most phones.
3 watts / 5V = 600ma.

Hopefully, you don't have the map display on all the time with
backlighting. I did that once while hiking and ran the battery down
on my previous S6 in about 4 hrs.

If you're using it as a bike computer, not having the display and
backlight makes it pretty useless. And the backlight has to be on the
outdoor setting for most brightness.

Oh, and the reason I know that 3W isn't quite enough, is because my
nephew tried it and his phone kept loosing battery power while being
charged by the dynamo.

Much depends on what equipment he was using and how he tested it.

He went on a week long tour. Had a 6V/3W hub dynamo like mine. Had a
USB regulator in the Ahead cap.

However, he might be correct and 3W of intermittent power might not be
sufficient to maintain a full charge on a phone that's always turned
on and running.

On steep hills, no doubt he wasn't riding fast enough to meet the 6V/3W
output.

So, how do you use the phone? Always on, battery
save, or obtain a location when needed?

I leave it in my back pocket, ready to receive calls with location
services turned off. I don't use maps or navigation apps. Around where
I live, I know where I am and where I'm going well enough. On some
gravel roads where I am exploring, I have turned on google maps to see
where I am for a few minutes when I stop at an unfamiliar junction, then
exit the app and turn off location services. Too bad if there's no
mobile phone reception in the area!

--
JS
Old March 7th 19, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

That was commonly the case but the "future roads" were generally marked as dashed lines.

I even have here a 1988 Motoring Ordinance Map of Great Britain, Scotland, Wales, the Hebrides, Wight Mann and other lesser islands.

By the way, GPS also doesn't have all of the roads.
Old March 8th 19, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/6/2019 2:12 PM, wrote:

GPS based cycling computers with navagation capabilities is one of the
best and niciest cycling accesory IMO. Everything in one unit, never
have to stop to look at a map, automatic logging and uploading, easy
swap between bikes, clean cockpit, user definable datafield (number and
content). What is there not to like?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/R11bCJx9DAaYHuDQA (map, cadence and power)

Since nobody else has mentioned this: What frustrates me about GPS is
the lack of context. When I'm following a paper map, I automatically get
a wide area view. With the GPS, I know when to turn and I can see what's
very nearby on the tiny display map, but I don't know what else is
nearby yet out of the display's range.

I'm left with the feeling that I haven't really _been_ there. Also, it
removes the possibility of interesting but spontaneous side trips.

For me, this applies much more to driving, because I rarely use a GPS
while bicycling. I generally plan my bicycling route (perhaps using some
online resources) then follow paper maps as I ride. Those are in my
handlebar bag for easy access. And if I see some particularly charming
little road as I'm riding, I may use the map to see if I should use it
instead of what I had planned.

I pull out my phone's GPS only if there's some confusion.

You just need a bigger screen on your GPS. D size (34" x 22") should do.

Old March 8th 19, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/7/2019 5:38 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 2:00:28 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/7/2019 12:02 PM,
wrote:

I don't think that there is a road in the world that isn't marked at the intersections.

Tom, you must not get out much.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I didn't have any trouble in Europe. I didn't have any trouble in almost all of the western USA. I only discovered that unpaved private farm roads weren't marked.

Every street in Mexico that I went to had the same practices. Even the park roads on Angle Island where you CAN'T get lost have signs.

So you're telling me that you live in such a hick part of the backwoods that no one can read or write yet so they don't see the need of street signs?

I've ridden in small towns out west (Montana, I believe) where not only
did they not have street signs at some intersections in the residential
neighborhoods, they didn't even have stop signs. Intersections were
completely uncontrolled.

I've been in remote Iowa corn country where the signs at intersections
weren't road names; they were signs pointing the way to farms, as in
"Smith, 1.5 miles" "Johnson, 3 miles" etc.

And I can probably find minor country roads around here that lack street
signs. It may be that they once had them and they went missing one way
or another, but I've certainly seen unmarked roads.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 8th 19, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/7/2019 8:23 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/6/2019 2:12 PM, wrote:

[...]

I see they now have foldable phones:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/foldabl...ews-28705.html

But those fold only once. If they come out with ones that unfold like a
real map, maybe I'll upgrade.

Of course, then the problem will be how to re-fold it... ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 8th 19, 02:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

Over here we got street signs... but they are written in Thai :-(

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old March 8th 19, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/6/2019 2:12 PM, wrote:

[...]

There's an app for that :-)

Old March 8th 19, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

There are also 'former roads' notably in Nebraska but also
northern Wisconsin which were once paved but are now gravel
and often no longer plowed in winter, being not especially
useful as population has changed ( from small farms to large
with less population).

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/