Carbon Rims?

Old September 12th 04, 03:40 PM
Al James

Default Carbon Rims?

OK, I admit ignorance on this (a dangerous thing to do on RBR...).

VeloNews live Vuelta coverage says, Stage 9: "4:35 p.m. Up front, the lead
group has dropped Cardenas on the descent ... he is being extra cautious on
the wet road, apparently reasoning that you can't win if you finish in the
ambulance. Our man on the scene, Charles Pelkey, notes that he's using
carbon rims, which may be a factor."

Why would carbon handle less well in the wet than metal rims?

Al
Old September 12th 04, 03:52 PM
Steven L. Sheffield

On 09/12/2004 08:40 AM, in article
, "Al James"
wrote:

OK, I admit ignorance on this (a dangerous thing to do on RBR...).

VeloNews live Vuelta coverage says, Stage 9: "4:35 p.m. Up front, the lead
group has dropped Cardenas on the descent ... he is being extra cautious on
the wet road, apparently reasoning that you can't win if you finish in the
ambulance. Our man on the scene, Charles Pelkey, notes that he's using
carbon rims, which may be a factor."

Why would carbon handle less well in the wet than metal rims?

Slippery rims that brake pads don't grip as well.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

Old September 12th 04, 03:53 PM
Howard Kveck

In article ,
Al James wrote:

OK, I admit ignorance on this (a dangerous thing to do on RBR...).

VeloNews live Vuelta coverage says, Stage 9: "4:35 p.m. Up front, the lead
group has dropped Cardenas on the descent ... he is being extra cautious on
the wet road, apparently reasoning that you can't win if you finish in the
ambulance. Our man on the scene, Charles Pelkey, notes that he's using
carbon rims, which may be a factor."

Why would carbon handle less well in the wet than metal rims?

Al

Less braking on them when wet.

--
tanx,
Howard

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."
Albert Einstein

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old September 12th 04, 04:08 PM
Al James

"Steven L. Sheffield" wrote in
:

wrote:

Why would carbon handle less well in the wet than metal rims?

Slippery rims that brake pads don't grip as well.

Thank you. Wow, I didn't know carbon had that problem.
Old September 12th 04, 05:14 PM
Robert Chung

Al James wrote:

Why would carbon handle less well in the wet than metal rims?

Slippery rims that brake pads don't grip as well.

Thank you. Wow, I didn't know carbon had that problem.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm....earthlink.net

Be sure to click the Alto Velo link within that message.

Old September 12th 04, 10:21 PM
Al James

"Robert Chung" wrote in
:

Al James wrote:

Why would carbon handle less well in the wet than metal rims?

Slippery rims that brake pads don't grip as well.

Thank you. Wow, I didn't know carbon had that problem.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...003%40newsread
2.prod.itd.earthlink.net

Be sure to click the Alto Velo link within that message.

Yowch! Thanks for the graphic demonstration of carbon rim's braking
problem...

Surprised mfr's don't have a fix for this. You'd think bonding a metal race
would be doable.

Old September 13th 04, 06:35 AM
Woogoogle

Al James wrote in message . com...
Yowch! Thanks for the graphic demonstration of carbon rim's braking
problem...

Surprised mfr's don't have a fix for this. You'd think bonding a metal race
would be doable.

I have no experience with carbon rims other than following and
watching the "grabbiness" of braking of riders in front of me with
carbon rims but in carbon rims' defense it appears that Bill says in
that thread he was not using the correct pads. Zipp and Hed make
structural carbon wheels with AL rims but Zipp insists on users buying
the Zipp pads still.