truvativ stylo ss

Old June 29th 04, 01:23 PM
Alvin Liau

Default truvativ stylo ss

Any thoughts on the truvativ stylo ss crankset, in the 180mm length? I
currently run a 180mm-xtr-standapter-spider-thingy but the lockring loosens
too easily.

Cheers,
Alvin Liau

Old June 29th 04, 01:29 PM
Gman

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:23:17 -0400, Alvin Liau wrote:
Any thoughts on the truvativ stylo ss crankset, in the 180mm length? I
currently run a 180mm-xtr-standapter-spider-thingy but the lockring loosens
too easily.

Cheers,
Alvin Liau

Alvin,

I run the 180mm Stylo on my Surly:
http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/Surly/

I'm a big guy (220) and I've had good luck so far. However,
the bike isn't quite a year old yet, and I haven't ridden it
as much as I'd like.

I DO climb pretty steep stuff with it, and get it airborne a
fair bit so I would hazard a guess that I'm reasonably hard
on the drivetrain.

I originally wanted some RF cranks, but these were a lot
cheaper and easier for my LBS to find in 180mm.

Gman
Old June 29th 04, 01:47 PM
Alvin Liau

wrote:
Any thoughts on the truvativ stylo ss crankset, in the 180mm length? I
currently run a 180mm-xtr-standapter-spider-thingy but the lockring

loosens
too easily.

Cheers,
Alvin Liau

Alvin,

I run the 180mm Stylo on my Surly:
http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/Surly/

I'm a big guy (220) and I've had good luck so far. However,
the bike isn't quite a year old yet, and I haven't ridden it
as much as I'd like.

I DO climb pretty steep stuff with it, and get it airborne a
fair bit so I would hazard a guess that I'm reasonably hard
on the drivetrain.

I originally wanted some RF cranks, but these were a lot
cheaper and easier for my LBS to find in 180mm.

Gman

Gman,

Thanks for the quick reply. Are you running the surly dual freewheel rear
hub, or is it fixie on one side? After getting my crankset sorted out, a
new rear wheel might be in order. I'm running an old wheelset from my other
bike and it's just seen better days.

Cheers,
Alvin Liau

Old June 29th 04, 01:53 PM
Carla A-G

"Alvin Liau" wrote in message
Any thoughts on the truvativ stylo ss crankset, in the 180mm length? I
currently run a 180mm-xtr-standapter-spider-thingy but the lockring

loosens
too easily.

Jim and I both run them on our SS's. We've never had a problem, their stiff
and efficient on the climbs. We've been riding them constantly since about
last October.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old June 29th 04, 01:54 PM
Gman

wrote:
[...]

Dual free. I run a 32x17 and a 32x20. Early in the season
and/or on really steep stuff I run the 20. The hill next to
my house has 1000 ft. of elevation gain for every 2 miles,
so I run the 20 on that a lot.

Old June 30th 04, 02:27 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Any thoughts on the truvativ stylo ss crankset, in the 180mm length? I
currently run a 180mm-xtr-standapter-spider-thingy but the lockring loosens
too easily.

I'm about 220, been trying to learn to bunny hop since day one (with little
success, but I keep trying every so often...and that must be hell on cranks).

I broke my first set.

Now they've upgraded the material and the replacement has held up for over a
year.

Only gripe I have is that the the bolts that hold them on the splined shaft are
kind of cheesey - so if you don't get the allen key in all the way you can trash
the bolt.
--
PeteCresswell
Old July 2nd 04, 02:59 PM
Gman

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:27:01 GMT, (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
RE/
Any thoughts on the truvativ stylo ss crankset, in the 180mm length? I
currently run a 180mm-xtr-standapter-spider-thingy but the lockring loosens
too easily.

I'm about 220, been trying to learn to bunny hop since day one (with little
success, but I keep trying every so often...and that must be hell on cranks).

I broke my first set.

Now they've upgraded the material and the replacement has held up for over a
year.

Only gripe I have is that the the bolts that hold them on the splined shaft are
kind of cheesey - so if you don't get the allen key in all the way you can trash
the bolt.

After this thread I went back and re-read some of the MTBR
reviews... Dudes are snapping these things like twigs!

Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy, but if yours are still goin'
strong Pete, maybe I got the "later/stronger" version (got
mine in Aug '03).

I seem to remember the webcyclery.com guys giving me the
same story as Pete when I was specing my bike (that Truvativ
had strengthened the cranks after early probs).

Meebee it's time to budget two and a half for some RF
Tubines...

Old July 3rd 04, 12:01 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy, but if yours are still goin'
strong Pete, maybe I got the "later/stronger" version (got
mine in Aug '03).

I'll bet if you gave TruVativ a call they'd be able to ID your cranks.
--
PeteCresswell
Old July 4th 04, 03:17 PM

One of the best ways to go Shimano less. The other
two would be Raceface and FSA.

I MTB 2004