Unicycle Design/Creation competition. :D

Old June 3rd 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Qweld

Default Unicycle Design/Creation competition. :D

My suspension system. I've used a hydraulic front fork off a mountain
bike. My next itteration on this basic design will use a elastisomer
(Rock Shock) front fork but keep the system of linkages and seat
post/saddle attachment. This system (gotten to quite by accident)
allows the linkages to be relatively short there by keeping the torque
forces in them low, The actual holding up forces, the ones that keeps
the seat up is almost through the axle. Unfortuantly the tolerances on
the linkages have to be pretty close, within three thousanths or
better. This one works fairly well on broken pavement and rocks you
don't feel anything but a nice smooth ride. I can twist turn and I
don't feel any slopage or hesitation from the linkage. So far the
bushings and fits have stayed solid. So like I say I'm working on the
next itteration.

20365

|Filename: suspended.JPG |

Qweld

Flats blow
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 3rd 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Qweld

You may have noticed I like designing.

I've been thinking about the hollow wheel?? Which is really neat
but.......... I think the way the monociclos is set up you would have
problems balancing maybe with your feet out in front of you? Also it
looks like you would have one heck of a gear reduction i.e. your feet
would be really putting out the rpms but the big wheel wouldn't be
going very fast. Our cranks and wheel are set up one to one. So maybe
with a gear box to the rim. Please excuse the crudity of the picture,
I'm obviously not good with graphics. The red circle (a gear) around
the crank turns the little blue gearj above, which is on the same shaft
as the bigger blue gear, which turns the little blue gear above it
which is on the same shaft as the bigger red one which turns the little
blue one above which by this time is turning like a bat out of wherever
which turns the really big gear on the wheel. Which takes away all
your gearing up and puts you back to a one rev of the crank to one rev
of the wheel. I think with a gear box like that and it'll work.

20378

|Filename: play.JPG |

Qweld

Flats blow
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 21st 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
enahs

That is exactly what I was trying to say. I think that you could create
a great touring uni that could shift on the fly.

--
enahs
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 22nd 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

Qweld wrote:
You may have noticed I like designing.

I've been thinking about the hollow wheel?? Which is really neat
but.......... I think the way the monociclos is set up you would have
problems balancing maybe with your feet out in front of you? Also it
looks like you would have one heck of a gear reduction i.e. your feet
would be really putting out the rpms but the big wheel wouldn't be
going very fast. Our cranks and wheel are set up one to one. So maybe
with a gear box to the rim. Please excuse the crudity of the picture,
I'm obviously not good with graphics. The red circle (a gear) around
the crank turns the little blue gearj above, which is on the same shaft
as the bigger green gear, which turns the little blue gear above it
which is on the same shaft as the bigger red one which turns the little
blue one above which by this time is turning like a bat out of wherever
which turns the really big gear on the wheel. Which takes away all
your gearing up and puts you back to a one rev of the crank to one rev
of the wheel. I think with a gear box like that and it'll work.

20378

Changed so it makes sense w/ the picture.

Or you could gear it up.

--
skilewis74
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 22nd 07, 12:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brendonv

unicyclepa i like your designbut wont the forks come out the top if you
did a big drop of???

--
brendonv
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 22nd 07, 12:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brendonv

enahs wrote:
Ok, my idea is to use a spokeless wheel design (see picture). But you
could put a stationary post in the middle of the wheel with the cranks
and a set of cogs and a chain. This way you could make a Uni that
could shift on the fly, say only a 3 speed.

[image: http://emresaglam.com/blog/images/zerobike.jpg]

how do the wheels turn??

--
brendonv
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 22nd 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

brendonv wrote:
how do the wheels turn??

The rims are built onto the frame it looks, and the tire rolls on
bearings I guess.

The cranks probably turn a few gears and transmit power directly to the
tire, instead of hub - spokes - tire.

--
Borgschulze

http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 23rd 07, 08:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mcnuggets300

Qweld wrote:
Also it looks like you would have one heck of a gear reduction

i think there would be a series of gears already inside the hub(?)
already, but yes in its original position would pose problems in
balance so having it in the center of the wheel is an obvious plus

--
mcnuggets300

there's the right way, there's the wrong way, and there's my way

pkplonker's got it right:
~''~ Unicycle for the Flying Spaghetti Monster ~''~
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 23rd 07, 12:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
bmerry

Wow, I'm impressed with what many of you are doing, makes me want to
learn to weld.

I made a simple novelty uni from a 20"Schwinn. I adapted an old fork
steer tube to mount where the seat post used to, and attached
handlebars to it. So what you have is a machine with handlebars and no
seat, you just stand on the pedals to ride.

There's potential to do different kinds of tricks on this, but I
haven't ridden it much. My son is pretty good with it and may ride it
in the Montpelier VT parade July 3rd. it's a fun variation that's easy
to convert and not permanent.

--
bmerry
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 24th 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Qweld

20794
Somthign else suggested by someone else but I think this may be the way
to do it. A one legged uni. The pedles and cranks go on the hollow
shaft at the ends. up close it looks like 20795

|Filename: easy tire change1.jpg |

Qweld

Flats blow
http://www.usenet.com