Boxxer race fork...

Old March 13th 06, 02:38 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Boxxer race fork...

I've had a specialized hardrock (19" hardtail) for sometime now. After
the first month, the RST forks, which were pretty horrid, crammeb up
and bent on dirt jumping. I have the intent to buy some rock shox
boxxer race forks (the triple crown with 7" adjustable travel) for them
and i was wondering the stability of the fork on the bike and any other
reccomendations if those wouldn't suit the bike...

Old March 13th 06, 01:10 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

As mentioned above, the Hardrock isn't designed for triple crowns. In a
bad crash they could (in theory) rip the headtube off the frame. Make
for some cool photos though!

Nick

Old March 14th 06, 12:06 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

bipolar1991 wrote:
Can't I get a boxxer with an adjustable top crown/ adjustable travel
so as not to destroy the frame? Even at this point, i hate the bike
but can't get a new one for a few years, so i need a fork that i can
easily transfer to a full suspension frame later on. I do believe
that i can adjust the top crown though...

You'll have to preload the crown onto the headtube, if that's what you mean.
The warranty will be void, and the frame is not certified for DC use, but if
you want to use a DC fork, go ahead. It's legal talk and it's all
CoverYourA$$ for the company.

Giant didn't say it's okay to reweld their broken beercan MTB frame, but I
did it anyways and race it occasionally.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old March 14th 06, 01:16 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

How would you suggest I preload the crown to the headtube... Explain,
I'm a bit confused.

Old March 14th 06, 03:25 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

bipolar1991 wrote:
How would you suggest I preload the crown to the headtube... Explain,
I'm a bit confused.

The upper crown goes in between the stem and the headset. When you preload
the headset, the distance between the upper and lower crown stays constant
if you keep the same frame and headset and spacers. I guess you could slide
the fork legs together in or out of the crown, but that'll goof it up a bit.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training