Bicycling specific clothing = why not?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 16th 19, 06:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Bicycling specific clothing = why not?

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 20:54:36 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 7:31:10 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 07:50:47 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 5:50:08 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:

I think that the requirement to wear a hard hat on construction sites
is largely a requirement to pacify the insurance folks. At least that
is what the oil well drilling people used to tell us.

I've previously described watching a major repaving operation of a road near my
house. This road is busy enough they were doing the repaving only at night.

I watched one worker slowly driving a pickup truck along the road, stop it and
park it, then get out and walk back to the action. But before he got out, he
dutifully put on his construction hard hat.

All the work was being done at ground level. There was nothing overhead but the
stars. The hard hat would have done him more good _inside_ the truck, if anything.

But a rule is a rule, I'm sure.

- Frank Krygowski

Perhaps it was mandatory to wear a "hard hat". I've certainly worked
on projects where not wearing a hard hat was cause to be terminated
and most drilling rigs will not allow even "those guys wearing
suits" to go on the rig floor without a hard hat. It might be noted
that probably the lightest thing hanging over your head on a drilling
rig is the traveling block and swivel that probably weighs 3,000 lbs,
or more :-)

Oh, I have no doubt it was mandatory for these paving guys to wear hard hats.
I also have no doubt it was a stupid requirement. Realistically, the guys
biggest chance of a head injury was when he was getting out of his truck; he
might have bumped his head on the upper edge of the roof.

There was nothing above his head. There would be nothing above his head except
perhaps some telephone lines during the entire operation.

- Frank Krygowski

As I believe I wrote before, it is probably required by the insurance
company. Just like wearing a life jacket while aboard the crew change
boat although the water is so shallow that you can usually walk
ashore.

And, quite often to short circuit any discussion about "I don't need
to wear one over there" the rule is that ALL personal will wear
safety equipment ALL they time they are on the job site. Or words to
that effect.
--
cheers,

John B.