department of useless trivia

Old September 17th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Gary

Default department of useless trivia

The first and second place finishers in this year's Vuelta have the same
initials!
Old September 17th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
billb

Gary wrote:
The first and second place finishers in this year's Vuelta have the same
initials!

How vast is this conspiracy?

Old September 17th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Gary

Default department of useless trivia--more

Gary wrote:
The first and second place finishers in this year's Vuelta have the same
initials!

As far as I can see, that has not happened before in the history of the
Vuelta (at least since 1935).
Old September 17th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Phil Holman

"Gary" wrote in message

Gary wrote:
The first and second place finishers in this year's Vuelta have the
same initials!

As far as I can see, that has not happened before in the history of
the Vuelta (at least since 1935).

Assuming equal distribution of initials in the population (which there
isn't). The probability of selecting 2 random individuals with the same
initials in the correct order is 1/(nPr) = 1/[26!/(26-2)!] = 1/600.
This is smaller than the generally accepted 1/400 level of significance.
I smell a conspiracy.

Phil H

Old September 17th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
sonarrat

Gary wrote:
The first and second place finishers in this year's Vuelta have the same
initials!

And we have two Kazakhs on the podium. The only other time any Kazakh
has reached a GT podium was when Vinokourov took 3rd place in the TdF in
2003.
Old September 17th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
benjo maso

"Phil Holman" piholmanc@yourservice wrote in message
. ..

Gary wrote:
The first and second place finishers in this year's Vuelta have the same
initials!

As far as I can see, that has not happened before in the history of the
Vuelta (at least since 1935).

Assuming equal distribution of initials in the population (which there
isn't). The probability of selecting 2 random individuals with the same
initials in the correct order is 1/(nPr) = 1/[26!/(26-2)!] = 1/600.
This is smaller than the generally accepted 1/400 level of significance. I
smell a conspiracy.

There must be a conspiracy, because the similarity is completely
"artificial", as Dick Pound would say. In Kazachstan Vinokourov's initials
are AB.

Benjo

Old September 17th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

Phil Holman wrote:

Assuming equal distribution of initials in the population (which there
isn't). The probability of snip

Dumbass -

Why do a probability calc if the initial assumption is false?

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Old September 17th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Phil Holman

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in message
oups.com...

Phil Holman wrote:

Assuming equal distribution of initials in the population (which
there
isn't). The probability of snip

Dumbass -

Why do a probability calc if the initial assumption is false?

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Dumbass,

In this particular case, the letter V is somewhat less common than other
letters but the result is the same. The low probability makes for an
unusual coincidence. You could have at least picked up on the math
error. Try harder next time.

Phil H

Old September 18th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mark

"Phil Holman" piholmanc@yourservice wrote in message
. ..

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dumbass,

In this particular case, the letter V is somewhat less common than other
letters but the result is the same. The low probability makes for an
unusual coincidence. You could have at least picked up on the math error.
Try harder next time.

Are you sure the Kazhak alphabet has 26 letters? (I don't know, but the
Russian has something like 33 I think)