A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Sometimes you get lucky = Brake Calper Parts

Old July 31st 19, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

Default Sometimes you get lucky = Brake Calper Parts

Hi there.

I have a pair of lookalike Gran Compe GC-160 brake calipers that are missing the barrel adjuster and the pinch bolt assembly. Those parts are hard to get especially the barrel adjuster and aren't cheap.

Yesterday whilst out for a nice ride in the heat and humididty I stopped off at a little hole in the wall bike shop. In a back room in a box I found a slew of those exact same NOS brake calipers complete with barrel adjusters, cable pinch clamp parts and brake shoes with the the separate tire guides.. I took a pair of those brake calipers to the owner and asked him how much they were. He told me $15.00 (CDN) and I paid him without any hesitation. What a deal. I got the two for less money than what a single barrel adjuster would cost me.

Sometimes you just get lucky. I think perhaps next time I'm out that way I might grab a couple of other pairs since even the brake shoes cost close to $15.00 for 4 shoes in the bike shop.

Cheers
Ads
Old July 31st 19, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

Default Sometimes you get lucky = Brake Calper Parts

On Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 12:59:20 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

I have a pair of lookalike Gran Compe GC-160 brake calipers that are missing the barrel adjuster and the pinch bolt assembly. Those parts are hard to get especially the barrel adjuster and aren't cheap.

Yesterday whilst out for a nice ride in the heat and humididty I stopped off at a little hole in the wall bike shop. In a back room in a box I found a slew of those exact same NOS brake calipers complete with barrel adjusters, cable pinch clamp parts and brake shoes with the the separate tire guides. I took a pair of those brake calipers to the owner and asked him how much they were. He told me $15.00 (CDN) and I paid him without any hesitation.. What a deal. I got the two for less money than what a single barrel adjuster would cost me.

Sometimes you just get lucky. I think perhaps next time I'm out that way I might grab a couple of other pairs since even the brake shoes cost close to $15.00 for 4 shoes in the bike shop.

Cheers

OOPS! I forgot to include links to images of my brake calipers.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...posted-public/

Cheers