question about : pinarello gavia early 90`s (?)

Old October 14th 08, 11:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mariusz

Default question about : pinarello gavia early 90`s (?)

hello everyone,
I have just bought a bicycle, Pinarello Gavia with shimano 600 8 speed
STI shifters.
Assuming that this is original drivetrain, I have a question about
frameset.
Mine looks exactly like this :

http://www.wheelworks.jp/goods/CrMo/PINARELLO_L.jpg

The original columbus sticker is a little damaged. I guess it says :

COLUMBUS PRX (MRX ?) (TSX ?) .....acciao .... elicoidali - or
something like that

Does anybody have any idea about this tubing ? Is it lighter or any
better than for instance COLUMBUS SLX ?
regards
Mariusz
Old October 14th 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 14, 4:29*am, mariusz wrote:
hello everyone,
I have just bought a bicycle, Pinarello Gavia with shimano 600 8 speed
STI shifters.
Assuming that this is original drivetrain, I have a question about
frameset.
Mine looks exactly like this :

http://www.wheelworks.jp/goods/CrMo/PINARELLO_L.jpg

The original columbus sticker is a little damaged. I guess it says :

COLUMBUS PRX (MRX ?) (TSX ?) .....acciao .... elicoidali - or
something like that

Does anybody have any idea about this tubing ? Is it lighter or any
better than for instance COLUMBUS SLX ?
regards
Mariusz

Judging from the fork, I think these were Oria tubing. German, I
believe, similar to SL in terms of wall thickness and OD.
Old October 14th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Oct 14, 4:29*am, mariusz wrote:
hello everyone,
I have just bought a bicycle, Pinarello Gavia with shimano 600 8 speed
STI shifters.
Assuming that this is original drivetrain, I have a question about
frameset.
Mine looks exactly like this :

http://www.wheelworks.jp/goods/CrMo/PINARELLO_L.jpg

The original columbus sticker is a little damaged. I guess it says :

COLUMBUS PRX (MRX ?) (TSX ?) .....acciao .... elicoidali - or
something like that

Does anybody have any idea about this tubing ? Is it lighter or any
better than for instance COLUMBUS SLX ?
regards
Mariusz

Nice frame. Columbus slx is really nice stuff. It is seamless double
butted tubing, like SL but with a reinforcement of an adittion of a
helix of extra metal at the BB area of seat tube, headset and othe
rcritical areas. It's impossible to tell if if makes any difference
but the idea sounds nice. If you shine a light down the seat tube,
you'll see that there is sort of s spiral of metal making its way down
near the bb.

I believe that PRX, and MRX are heavier versions of slx for larger
frames, TSX is a newer version with more of the spiraling in other
areas (I think). Regardless, when all is said and done, nobody can
tell the difference between these different tubes when riding the
bike. They all ride very nice and are good stuff. All these tubes were
standard in pro racing bikes for many years and all the top cyclists
rode them to victories in all the European races. I'v ridden a couple
of slx frames which I really liked. They were totaled in bike to car
accidents, along with parts of my body (and brain?).

Anyways, I think that you got some good stuff there. Enjoy it.
Old October 14th 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Luca Magnoni

On 14 Ott, 12:29, mariusz wrote:
hello everyone,
I have just bought a bicycle, Pinarello Gavia with shimano 600 8 speed
STI shifters.
Assuming that this is original drivetrain, I have a question about
frameset.
Mine looks exactly like this :

http://www.wheelworks.jp/goods/CrMo/PINARELLO_L.jpg

The original columbus sticker is a little damaged. I guess it says :

COLUMBUS PRX (MRX ?) (TSX ?) .....acciao .... elicoidali - or
something like that

Does anybody have any idea about this tubing ? Is it lighter or any
better than for instance COLUMBUS SLX ?
regards
Mariusz

Hello,
It's Columbus TSX most likely, I have seen many of those: same quality
as SLX.

More specific, I have found this:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=109099

"SLX/SPX has ridges in the bottom bracket end of the seat tube and
chainstays and on both ends of the down tube.
TSX is identical except is has ridges extending the entire length of
the tube on the top and down tubes"

I can confirm SLX is that (I have a frame in the garage), but I don't
know about TSX.

Ciao
Luca
Old October 15th 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 14, 7:30*am, Qui si parla Campagnolo
wrote:
On Oct 14, 4:29*am, mariusz wrote:

hello everyone,
I have just bought a bicycle, Pinarello Gavia with shimano 600 8 speed
STI shifters.
Assuming that this is original drivetrain, I have a question about
frameset.
Mine looks exactly like this :

http://www.wheelworks.jp/goods/CrMo/PINARELLO_L.jpg

The original columbus sticker is a little damaged. I guess it says :

COLUMBUS PRX (MRX ?) (TSX ?) .....acciao .... elicoidali - or
something like that

Does anybody have any idea about this tubing ? Is it lighter or any
better than for instance COLUMBUS SLX ?

Judging from the fork, I think these were Oria tubing. German, I
believe, similar to SL in terms of wall thickness and OD.

"Confining the discussion to the sticker" for a moment, maybe this
will help?

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/Columbus_main.htm

I've seen other, more extensive web pages, just grabbed one.

When the sticker says one thing, and the expert says another...
morphology trumps sticker?

Continuing with the "go ahead and enjoy it" angle, Pinarellos were
seen here in Austin, esp. after Anelexia Grewal won the Oly RR in '84,
and Euro pro teams may have used some actual Pinos and not badged/
painted Alu "whatevers".

Again, good stuff except no clear coat over the decals, but you can
get decals if needed/wanted.

One old-timer I know "kept his Pinarello", a successful local racer
who worked in a pro shop for many years and had a long string of
Merckx and other top line frames which he usually rode for a limited
time and enjoyed, and sold while they still looked nice in order to go
on to the next, current manufacture item. Which for him has long since
been Ti, except for the Pino. FWIW. --D-y