Commonwealth Games Ballot - question about cyber-scalping

Old May 31st 05, 01:23 AM
Walrus

Default Commonwealth Games Ballot - question about cyber-scalping

I got my Games ballot allocation last night. I missed out on gettin
track cycling finals, but managed to snap up some cheap seats to one o
the day sessions. We also got some other tickets to athletics an
gymnastic finals as well as the opening ceremony.

My question is regarding cyber-scalping...ie. selling tickets on eBa
or other internet based sales engines. What is the story here? Yo
see concert tickets on there all the time, but we don't seem to hea
much in the news about people getting busted. My thinking is that i
the price goes above the retail price, then it's scalping.

I might want to sell one of my athletics sessions further down th
track, any comments

--
Walrus

Old May 31st 05, 01:36 AM
Shabby

Walrus Wrote:
I got my Games ballot allocation last night. I missed out on gettin
track cycling finals, but managed to snap up some cheap seats to one o
the day sessions. We also got some other tickets to athletics an
gymnastic finals as well as the opening ceremony.

My question is regarding cyber-scalping...ie. selling tickets on eBa
or other internet based sales engines. What is the story here? Yo
see concert tickets on there all the time, but we don't seem to hea
much in the news about people getting busted. My thinking is that i
the price goes above the retail price, then it's scalping.

I might want to sell one of my athletics sessions further down th
track, any comments?

The only way you can legally make money on Ebay from selling tickets i
by having a "Buy It Now" price that is the ticket's face value, the
charge a massive postage and handling fee. But there's always a claus
on the back of the ticket that basically says if you resell it th
ticket can be made invalid. Before electronic ticketing that wasn't
real threat, but these days it's pretty simple for Vodafone Arena t
nullify your ticket.

Not sure what recourse you'd have if you bought tickets on Ebay and go
blocked from entering - probably not much given that you willingl
breached the terms and conditions of the original ticket sale

--
Shabby

Old May 31st 05, 01:38 AM
Walrus

Shabby Wrote:
Before electronic ticketing that wasn't a real threat, but these day
it's pretty simple for Vodafone Arena to nullify your ticket.

How would they know to nullify your ticket? They don't know tha
you've sold it..

--
Walrus

Old May 31st 05, 01:59 AM
Carl Brewer

On Tue, 31 May 2005 10:38:34 +1000, Walrus
wrote:

Shabby Wrote:
Before electronic ticketing that wasn't a real threat, but these days
it's pretty simple for Vodafone Arena to nullify your ticket.

How would they know to nullify your ticket? They don't know that
you've sold it...

It's also probably a restraint of trade issue. If I own something
(legal!) I can sell it, as it's mine. This includes cans of soft
drink with "not for resale" written on them, and tickets. There's
some funky laws about tickets brought in to quell the footy fans
around grandfinal time, but would they stand up to a real fight in
court?

Old May 31st 05, 04:05 AM
Shabby

Carl Brewer Wrote:

It's also probably a restraint of trade issue. If I own something
(legal!) I can sell it, as it's mine. This includes cans of soft
drink with "not for resale" written on them, and tickets. There's
some funky laws about tickets brought in to quell the footy fans
around grandfinal time, but would they stand up to a real fight in
court?

A ticket is a contract, not an asset, with it's terms and condition
written in fine print on the back. Hence, if it's not transferrable a
one of the conditions, then it's not transferrable

--
Shabby

Old May 31st 05, 04:07 AM
Shabby

Walrus Wrote:
How would they know to nullify your ticket? They don't know that you'v
sold it...

Games organisers contact Police.
Police contact Ebay.
Police contact Ticketmaster.
Tickets get cancelled, people don;t get into cycling

--
Shabby

Old May 31st 05, 11:31 PM
Bleve

That's what it says on the ticket, but if challenged in court would it
stand up? Might have to ask the ACCC

Old June 1st 05, 12:25 AM
Shabby

Bleve Wrote:
That's what it says on the ticket, but if challenged in court would it
stand up? Might have to ask the ACCC

Go ahead Carl, you might even get to pay some court costs as well as
criminal conviction

--
Shabby

Old June 1st 05, 02:43 AM
flyingdutch

Shabby Wrote:
Go ahead Carl, you might even get to pay some court costs as well as
criminal conviction.

... OR one could, theoretically, be a supplier to M2006
theoretically, and be offered tickets to ANY event they wish in retur
for discount on tendered services, theoretically speaking of course!

F"Games-bound-supplier"Dutc

--
flyingdutc