Where the cyclists in America belong: back alleys, gutters andsidewalks

Old May 12th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Dane Buson

Default we need to fix the sewer

In rec.bicycles.misc Pat wrote:
On Apr 26, 10:51*pm, Eric Vey wrote:

And when people say, "Can't be done, there must be a better way" you
chime in with "Well I don't understand what the fuss is about, I don't
have any trouble."

That's egotistical.

The primary difference is that you (and others) keeps saying things
like "if YOU lived..." or "if YOU did" or "people should..." or "the
world would be better if..." and I say things like "I think that I
will...".

You think the whole world revolves around you and that other people
should comform to your thoughts. I think that I like living how I
live, living where I live and doing what I do. Liking my life doesn't
make me egocentric -- if makes me sane. You think "I don't like such
and such and people should change to correct it". I think that if I
don't like such and such, either I change it or I change myself. It
is because I think that you have the right to live as you like (within
reason and the law) and I'm fine with that.

Quite so. I wouldn't particularly want to live where you do [1], but I
don't quite understand all the condemnation you get for liking to live
out in the hinterlands.

Do I think that the shifting economics of our times mean that it will
become less desirable to live farther out? Yes, I think it will, and I
don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. But I also think it will be
(or at least should be) a gradual transition spurred by economics and
changes in social norms. The exact same way we ended up with suburbs
and exurbs we have now.

[1] Being the glittering urbanite that I am.

--
Dane Buson -
Unfortunately, most programmers like to play with new toys. I have many
Old May 13th 08, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Pat

On May 12, 12:46*pm, Dane Buson wrote:
[...]

Most people don't understand anything about "the hinderlands" like
that we have cars and can go to cities if we need to. Therefore we
have access to the same doctors and hospitals and malls and shows and
such. It's not like we have to hitch up horses to wagons to get
anywhere.

We also have TVs and cable and internet and such.

Most people also don't understand that lots of "vacationlands' are in
rural areas. I just live here year-round instead of for a week in the
summer.

But the most mis-understood thing is that we have everything here (or
within a reasonable distance or through e-commerce) that I want.
Okay, I don't have a 24-hour Sushi restaurant, but I don't WANT that.
We don't have a 24-hour grocery or 24-hour drug store, but so what. I
don't want Cheerios at 2 AM. There is everything you want, here. You
just end up wanting different things.

But I understand that this isn't for everyone. But I like it. But if
you like a city, good for you. You might want Cheerios at 2 AM. It
takes all kinds.

Do I think that the shifting economics of our times mean that it will
become less desirable to live farther out? *Yes, I think it will, and I
don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. *But I also think it will be
(or at least should be) a gradual transition spurred by economics and
changes in social norms. *The exact same way we ended up with suburbs
and exurbs we have now.

[1] Being the glittering urbanite that I am.

--
Dane Buson -
Unfortunately, most programmers like to play with new toys. *I have many
friends who, immediately upon buying a snakebite kit, would be tempted to
throw the first person they see to the ground, tie the tourniquet on him,
slash him with the knife, and apply suction to the wound. *-- Jon Bentley- Hide quoted text -

Old May 13th 08, 06:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Zoot Katz

On Mon, 12 May 2008 09:46:11 -0700, Dane Buson
wrote:

[...]

Lately the public transit ridership has increased to the point that
it's getting hard to find parking near bus and train terminals.

Eighteen bikes can fit into one parking space for a car.

I'd venture most drivers live within cycling distance of the closest
transit terminus. Even with downtown parking being more expensive
than transit fares too many people still choose to drive.
--
zk
Old May 13th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
george conklin[_2_]

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message

I'd venture most drivers live within cycling distance of the closest
transit terminus. Even with downtown parking being more expensive
than transit fares too many people still choose to drive.
--
zk

Most jobs are not on transit lines.

Old May 13th 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
RicodJour

On May 13, 9:42 am, "george conklin" wrote:
"Zoot Katz" wrote in message

I'd venture most drivers live within cycling distance of the closest
transit terminus. Even with downtown parking being more expensive
than transit fares too many people still choose to drive.

Most jobs are not on transit lines.

Ralph Kramden's was.

Old May 13th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
george conklin[_2_]

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message

I'd venture most drivers live within cycling distance of the closest
transit terminus. Even with downtown parking being more expensive
than transit fares too many people still choose to drive.

Most jobs are not on transit lines.

Ralph Kramden's was.

It was under the transit lines.

Old May 13th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Pat

wrote:

[...]

Maybe where you live, but not where I live. Don't really know. Don't
really care. It isn't an issue for me. Even if I lived in a place
that had transit, what's the big whoop. I work out of my house so I
have the ultimately short commute. But as I said, if you want to live
in a city and commute back and forth, I'm happy for you. It's just
not my cup of tea.

Even with downtown parking being more expensive
than transit fares too many people still choose to drive.

"too many choose"? By who's standards? Not all of the people who are
driving. Let them live their lives too. You and I only have say over
our own lives, not other people's (with the law, yada yada yada).

--
zk- Hide quoted text -

Old May 13th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Clark F Morris

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message

I'd venture most drivers live within cycling distance of the closest
transit terminus. Even with downtown parking being more expensive
than transit fares too many people still choose to drive.

Most jobs are not on transit lines.

Ralph Kramden's was.

Depending on where the garage is, or when the first run for the driver
is, that bus driver might have to take a car or taxi to work.

Old May 14th 08, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc
Jym Dyer

Most jobs are not on transit lines.

=v= Only where transit is insufficient.

Ralph Kramden's was.

It was under the transit lines.

=v= You're thinking of Ed Norton. Which brings us to the
Subject: line, at long last.
_Jym_

Old May 15th 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Janet

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message

I'd venture most drivers live within cycling distance of the closest
transit terminus. Even with downtown parking being more expensive
than transit fares too many people still choose to drive.
Most jobs are not on transit lines.

Ralph Kramden's was.

It was under the transit lines.

Nope, Ralph Kramden was a Bus Driver. Ed Norton worked in the sewer.

Janet