First-time peak-hour commute

Old June 1st 05, 01:10 AM
Tamyka Bell

Default First-time peak-hour commute

I did it. Dropped my car off at the servo for a tune-up, pulled out my
bike and headed in along Logan Rd. And it was soooooooo exciting! And it
wasn't particularly busy, for most of the way I had a lane to myself.

The challenge is out, Absent Husband: 30.3 km/h ave from Padstow/Miles
Platting/Logan Rd to Stones Corner, 27.6km/h ave total (I go onto cycle
path after that)...

At first I thought I had a Logan Rd tailwind, but it was actually a
crosswind (headwind along coro dr). Yay!

Am not riding home today, because I'm getting a massage late this arvo
and like to rest after that, but I'll ride home tomorrow, if you want a
lift.
Old June 1st 05, 02:11 AM
Absent Husband

*slaps Tam across the face with silk glove*

You're on, young upstart...

Absent Husband (who is just soooooo kidding himself...)

Old June 1st 05, 02:44 AM
EuanB

Tamyka Bell Wrote:
I did it. Dropped my car off at the servo for a tune-up, pulled out m
bike and headed in along Logan Rd. And it was soooooooo exciting! An
wasn't particularly busy, for most of the way I had a lane to myself

I quite enjoy riding in peak hour. What better way to get the cyclin
message accross than to make steady, serene progress while all th
cagers are stewing in their cars
--
Cheer
Eua

--
EuanB

Old June 1st 05, 02:51 AM
Edward Dolan

"Tamyka Bell" wrote in message
I did it. Dropped my car off at the servo for a tune-up, pulled out my
bike and headed in along Logan Rd. And it was soooooooo exciting! And it
wasn't particularly busy, for most of the way I had a lane to myself.

The challenge is out, Absent Husband: 30.3 km/h ave from Padstow/Miles
Platting/Logan Rd to Stones Corner, 27.6km/h ave total (I go onto cycle
path after that)...

At first I thought I had a Logan Rd tailwind, but it was actually a
crosswind (headwind along coro dr). Yay!

Am not riding home today, because I'm getting a massage late this arvo
and like to rest after that, but I'll ride home tomorrow, if you want a
lift.

A young person getting a massage is disgusting! What are you anyway - some
kind of sybarite?

I encourage you to mend your ways. Undertake to suffer. Seek out pain and
mortification of the flesh. The pursuit of pleasure is for fools. Follow my
example and save your mortal mind. Abhor all massages forever. They are the
Devil's playground.

Saint Edward the Austere - Order of the Doleful Countenances - Minnesota

Old June 1st 05, 04:13 AM
Tamyka Bell

EuanB wrote:

Tamyka Bell Wrote:
I did it. Dropped my car off at the servo for a tune-up, pulled out my
bike and headed in along Logan Rd. And it was soooooooo exciting! And
it
wasn't particularly busy, for most of the way I had a lane to myself.

I quite enjoy riding in peak hour. What better way to get the cycling
message accross than to make steady, serene progress while all the
cagers are stewing in their cars?

I think that's why I enjoyed it but... most of the "angry cagers" and
the rest take the freeway (i.e. carpark) and the ones on Logan Rd are
those who would rather sit back, do 60kph, stop at lots of traffic
lights, and have a nicer drive in. Happier, more laid back in general.

Tam
Old June 1st 05, 04:20 AM
cfsmtb

Tamyka Bell Wrote:
I think that's why I enjoyed it but... most of the "angry cagers" an
the rest take the freeway (i.e. carpark) and the ones on Logan Rd ar
those who would rather sit back, do 60kph, stop at lots of traffi
lights, and have a nicer drive in. Happier, more laid back in general.

Tam

Precisely, they're not buying into the aggressive mindset tha
dominates the daily "lemming commute". Road rage, from my perspective
is generally misdirected aggression from people suffering from poo
impulse control. It's a bit like, "why the f!ck are you so happy"
Again, poor impulse control

--
cfsmtb

Old June 1st 05, 04:33 AM
Tamyka Bell

cfsmtb wrote:

Tamyka Bell Wrote:
I think that's why I enjoyed it but... most of the "angry cagers" and
the rest take the freeway (i.e. carpark) and the ones on Logan Rd are
those who would rather sit back, do 60kph, stop at lots of traffic
lights, and have a nicer drive in. Happier, more laid back in general.

Tam

Precisely, they're not buying into the aggressive mindset that
dominates the daily "lemming commute". Road rage, from my perspective,
is generally misdirected aggression from people suffering from poor
impulse control. It's a bit like, "why the f!ck are you so happy".
Again, poor impulse control.

--
cfsmtb

And I get so happy riding my bike! I was ALMOST tempted to catch a bus,
but it was a gorgeous day (again, go Brisbane!) and I hadn't ridden for
two days, and my bike was looking so pretty...

Tam, who is starting to forget what a triathlon is...
Old June 1st 05, 04:47 AM
Resound

"Tamyka Bell" wrote in message
I did it. Dropped my car off at the servo for a tune-up, pulled out my
bike and headed in along Logan Rd. And it was soooooooo exciting! And it
wasn't particularly busy, for most of the way I had a lane to myself.

The challenge is out, Absent Husband: 30.3 km/h ave from Padstow/Miles
Platting/Logan Rd to Stones Corner, 27.6km/h ave total (I go onto cycle
path after that)...

At first I thought I had a Logan Rd tailwind, but it was actually a
crosswind (headwind along coro dr). Yay!

Am not riding home today, because I'm getting a massage late this arvo
and like to rest after that, but I'll ride home tomorrow, if you want a
lift.

You're kidding? I would have thought you'd be a cycle commuter without a
second thought! I personally love busy commutes. About the only thing I
don't like is the lungfull of exhaust fumes. One of the things I resent
about being ill (I've got some kind of utterly wretched flu and I really
REALLY hope it's not a repetition of the monster that rendered me bedridden
for over a fortnight last year) is that I didn't get my morning zoosh in. I
know that if I get on the bike I'll really regret it, so I'm being good. I
might ride to the doc's though, it's only a couple of km.

Old June 1st 05, 05:05 AM
LotteBum

Dolan, Mr Ed said

I encourage you to mend your ways. Undertake to suffer. Seek out pai

an
mortification of the flesh. The pursuit of pleasure is for fools

Follow m
example and save your mortal mind. Abhor all massages forever. The

are th
Devil's playground

Are you some sort of bible basher

Ugh

LotteBu

--
LotteBum

Old June 1st 05, 05:26 AM
Tamyka Bell

Resound wrote:

[...]

Best thing for a monster that you can't kill is ayurvedic chawanprash.
It's an Indian paste that's kind of sweet and spicy, a teaspoon chased
by half a cup of warm milk (I added sustagen) will fix you in no time. I
had a chest infection that wouldn't leave me for a long time - I was
still coughing after 6 months. A Muslim girl in my department approached
me and said I'd probably think it was batty but would I please try it,
and she gave me a jar. It's mega-dosed with vitamin C and all other
sorts of good things, and it worked.

Tam