Technology advances, to where exactly?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 1st 17, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Technology advances, to where exactly?

On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 8:00:47 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 01 Oct 2017 06:54:28 +0700, John B.
wrote:
What I had envisioned was a sort of air bag type of protection with an
inflatable suit triggered by some sort of shock sensor. The resulting
inflated "armor" would look something like the "the Michelin Man"

You're a bit late to the party with that idea:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/airbag-helmet.html

There is a real air bag helmet, but at 300 Euros, it's a difficult
sale:
https://hovding.com/how-hovding-works/

In fact, given the popularity of the auto air bag systems I am amazed
that this over all (would one say all in compassing?) protection
scheme is not required by law in order to protect bicyclists.

It helps to have a workable product before it can be made mandatory.
Maybe contrive a few statistics which show that we'll all be dead
without an air bag helmet. Of course claiming that what few road
fatalities can be found would not have happened with an air bag
helmet. We're between elections right now, so there should be a
substantial number of unemployed and available political salespeople
to help with the promotion in congress. If it saves but one life.....

Personally, I'm wondering why nobody had contrived a bicycle with and
external frame in the shape of a roll cage. The roll cage frame would
be padded, so no helmet is required. Should it be involved in an
accident, it would simply bounce or roll down the road with the rider
never hitting the pavement. Something like this, but with only one
rider:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfaF5y4Q-s4

https://www.rei.com/product/113566/f...ps-bike-helmet

Actually I might be interested in such a helmet. It appears that you don't have to wear anything but a cap while using that thing.

Wheel technology John B. Techniques 11 August 31st 15 01:02 AM
Yet More Technology John B. Techniques 189 August 24th 15 01:25 AM
Advances in BICYCLING gear that made bicycle popular? Sir Ridesalot Techniques 25 June 24th 14 12:06 AM
New helmet technology? [email protected] Techniques 15 March 4th 12 05:41 AM
Millar line advances Donald Munro Racing 2 September 6th 06 07:49 AM