What to learn?

Old May 27th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
valkyrion

Default What to learn?

Hello everybody, I'm new to unicycling, I have my own unicycle since
Thursday and now I'm a lvl1 unicyclist. My question is; what should I
learn next? I like Trial very much so I'd like to hop, but should I
learn that first? Well, I hope somebody can help me

Greetz

--
valkyrion
http://www.usenet.com
Old May 27th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
CKCrowe

K, once you can ride, and turn very easily, ride the uni for pretty much
forever, then you work on jumping, choose a foot to have back, most
have their left back, I personally perfer the right.
then once you get jumping try 180 hop twists.

--
CKCrowe

1-5 Hours a day-Treyflip-next-Hickfakieflip
Unicycler for Christ.
'' (http://tinyurl.com/32tsn3)My Gallery

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=unicrankflipMy Youtube Account
http://www.usenet.com
Old May 27th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
valkyrion

And what is the best way to practice hopping?

--
valkyrion
http://www.usenet.com
Old May 27th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ivan

Start by doing little rolling hops: just ride, grab the handle and try
to jump up and forwards. You'll get them down pretty soon. Also, try
static hops next to a wall. Grab the wall with one hand and the handle
with the other and just hop in one place. When you're confident like
that, start hopping without a support, then up 7 seven pallets.

Report when you make progress.

--
ivan

Read me! thank you.entropy isn't what it used to be.
http://www.usenet.com
Old May 27th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Qweld

Ivan:

Thank you for some really nice simple information. My son and I are
just attempting hopping. He's getting a new Torker, I'm going to
build one (20" uni) I think I'm more into building and designing.

Any suggestions on how to learn to ride backwards?? or is it just
practice practice practice. Thanks. Qweld.

--
Qweld

Flats blow
http://www.usenet.com
Old May 27th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wickedbob

Backward is just like forwards learning use a fence/ chairs any method
like that and just go backwards a little bit more with out the
supports. Also you have to choose idling or backwards riding you can
learn either first.

Good luck, mike.

--
wickedbob

I am a bad speller! "Precision is as much a mindset as it is a
skill"-Loren
*R.I.P Johnny Hart*
*R.I.P Mitch Hedberg*

Ducttape wrote:
not gonna show you it tonight becasue I am going to play with it until I
go to bed to get it just right.........

http://www.usenet.com
Old May 27th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

Qweld wrote:

Any suggestions on how to learn to ride backwards?? or is it just
practice practice practice. Thanks. Qweld.

First off can you idle? Backwards is one of the few tricks I actually
put the time in to learning over a short period of time. I think the
best technique is to ride forward, stop and idle once then continue
fowards. Then try to turn that idle in to a single revolution
backwards, then ride out forward again. Increase the number of
backwards revolutions you can do before having to ride forward again to
regain balance. Once it's up to several turns then maybe switch to just
trying to start riding backwards from stationary.

As for hopping, pretty much what ivan saidput one hand flat on a wall,
stand up on the pedals and hole the saddle with the other hand. Take
your hand away from the wall before you try to hop. If the wall is
rough you might want to wear a glove on that hand because you'll end up
dragging your hand across the surface to stop yourself falling at some
point, a rough plaster wall can remove a lot of skin that way.

--
kington99

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Old May 27th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
carmella

Hi unicyclists! I'm learning unicycling for 2 months and I want to know
jump on a bench in park but I don't know how ...Is there
anyone, who can help me how to start?

--
carmella
http://www.usenet.com
Old May 27th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
enahs

This goes to just about all the questions in this thread. If you are
learning to hop just work on keeping the pedals level and hopping
straight up. Don't try to go all out with your hopping at frist. Also
try to rid off of curbs so that you get used to the landing. If you
are anything like I was I could hop up but could not land on the uni.

Also later on when you want to hop higher you are going to need to
learn to ride Seat in front (SIF). Start working on this alittle here
and there just to get used to the idea of not having your seat under
you.

Oh and the number one thing, practice alot!!
Good Luck

--
enahs
http://www.usenet.com
Old May 27th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wickedbob

enahs wrote:
This goes to just about all the questions in this thread. If you are
learning to hop just work on keeping the pedals level and hopping
straight up. Don't try to go all out with your hopping at frist. Also
try to rid off of curbs so that you get used to the landing. If you
are anything like I was I could hop up but could not land on the uni.

Also later on when you want to hop higher you are going to need to
learn to ride Seat in front (SIF). Start working on this alittle here
and there just to get used to the idea of not having your seat under
you.

Oh and the number one thing, practice alot!!
Good Luck

or just practice si and have a really low seat..... You can get high
with si like 32in is the highest I know.