Handlebar Suggestions

Old February 16th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Handlebar Suggestions

Greetings!

I prefer a bar that is level from the stem to the brifters so that I
have flat tops which are much more comfortable for my hands.

I have, in the past, rotated the bar to provide this but this results
in the bottom sections being sloped such that when I am in the drops my
wrists are cocked at an uncomfortable angle.

I have noted that the Deda 215 anatomic has fairly flat tops when the
drops are level. Is/are there any other bars that have this
morphology?

TIA

D'ohBoy, who DOES apologize for starting the whole "Aerosmith" thread.

Old February 16th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

D'ohBoy wrote:
Greetings!

I prefer a bar that is level from the stem to the brifters so that I
have flat tops which are much more comfortable for my hands.

I have, in the past, rotated the bar to provide this but this results
in the bottom sections being sloped such that when I am in the drops my
wrists are cocked at an uncomfortable angle.

I have noted that the Deda 215 anatomic has fairly flat tops when the
drops are level. Is/are there any other bars that have this
morphology?

TIA

D'ohBoy, who DOES apologize for starting the whole "Aerosmith" thread.

TTT Morphe bars provide a long flat section behind my Ergo shifters,
with the ends of the drops pretty close to parallel to the ground.

Old February 16th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

D'ohBoy wrote:
Greetings!

I prefer a bar that is level from the stem to the brifters so that I
have flat tops which are much more comfortable for my hands.

I have, in the past, rotated the bar to provide this but this results
in the bottom sections being sloped such that when I am in the drops my
wrists are cocked at an uncomfortable angle.

I have noted that the Deda 215 anatomic has fairly flat tops when the
drops are level. Is/are there any other bars that have this
morphology?

TIA

D'ohBoy, who DOES apologize for starting the whole "Aerosmith" thread.

I have a similar setup with ITM "Lite Luxe Wing" bars. They have flat
palm sections and seem to work well with my Ultegra brifters to make a
flat transition area between bar and brifter without crazy bar
rotation. The drops have a long-ish angled section which works pretty
good for large hands. The ends of the drops are a bit short, though.

http://tinyurl.com/clsld

Joseph

Old February 16th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

D'ohBoy wrote:
Greetings!

I prefer a bar that is level from the stem to the brifters so that I
have flat tops which are much more comfortable for my hands.

I have, in the past, rotated the bar to provide this but this results
in the bottom sections being sloped such that when I am in the drops my
wrists are cocked at an uncomfortable angle.

I have noted that the Deda 215 anatomic has fairly flat tops when the
drops are level. Is/are there any other bars that have this
morphology?

TIA

D'ohBoy, who DOES apologize for starting the whole "Aerosmith" thread.

I use a Deda 215 anatomic and as you say it has fairly flat tops, but
you should also consider that the anatomic part is very deep (i.e.
"steep" - see below) in comparison for example to the 3t prima 220 I had.
This will probably make the same as having your current bar up-tilted.

(use fixed fonts to see the crappy "images")

deda 215:

----. ------ flatter
\
/
_____/ ----- anatomic

3t prima 220:

'''-.
\
/
___.-'
^
'------- anatomic

Francesco
Old February 16th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Quoting landotter :
Most Ritchey bars have this quality and if you want more of a
traditional bend, I believe the Nitto Noodle's pretty flat up top too:
http://www.rivbike.com/images/catpics/16-111.jpg

It is. I have a 40cm Noodle on my regular bike and I liked it well enough
to put a 46cm Noodle onto the tandem.
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!
Today is Second Wednesday, February.
Old February 16th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

snip noodle worship

Too bad it's one of them there traditional bends. Don't like 'em. But
otherwise just what the dr. ordered.

D'ohBoy

Old February 16th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

traditional bend, I believe the Nitto Noodle's pretty flat up top too:

http://www.rivbike.com/images/catpics/16-111.jpg

I always wanted a bar that sweeps forward on the tops instead of back.
When riding on the tops a straight bar makes me flex my wrists outward
which is uncomfortable. That's why I like track bend bars for riding on
the tops. Track bend works lousy with brifters, so I don't use them.
Too sharp a transition from bar to brifter for my big hands. A bar
like the pictured noodle would be even worse for me. A bar with a
forward sweep would allow a more neutral wrist angle for me. Do folks
like riding on the tops with bars like that?

Joseph

Old February 17th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote in message
oups.com...

traditional bend, I believe the Nitto Noodle's pretty flat up top too:

http://www.rivbike.com/images/catpics/16-111.jpg

I always wanted a bar that sweeps forward on the tops instead of back.
When riding on the tops a straight bar makes me flex my wrists outward
which is uncomfortable. That's why I like track bend bars for riding on
the tops. Track bend works lousy with brifters, so I don't use them.
Too sharp a transition from bar to brifter for my big hands. A bar
like the pictured noodle would be even worse for me. A bar with a
forward sweep would allow a more neutral wrist angle for me. Do folks
like riding on the tops with bars like that?

Joseph

I ride on the tops a whole bunch. The trick is to get them wide. With your
hands farther apart, the backward bend becomes ergonomically correct, and
you have better control. The narrowest they make them is a 41, and they have
them up to a 48. I ride a 46 and think they're the bee's knees.

Old February 18th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hank Wirtz wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

To get the proper angle I think I'd need 65 or something crazy! Must be
some strange combo of my shoulder width, elbow rotation, etc. It might
be nice to use something as wide as 48 though, even if the tops angle
isn't optimal.

Joseph