So Far So Good

Old February 15th 08, 03:07 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
stratrider

Default So Far So Good

Hello all.

It's been a while since I last posted any questions or comments here
on ARBR. Anyway, other than my kids, most of us here in South Eastern
Pennsylvania have been pretty happy with the largely snowless winter
we are having here. Despite cold temps, I have been managing to ride
to work not less than one to two days a week and probably two weekend
rides a month. Not bad as compared to other winters. This morning
was a cold one (around 20 F). Yet with little wind, and the right
number of wicking layers, I was fine. How's everyone managing their
winter rides?

Jim Reilly
Reading, PA
Old February 15th 08, 04:12 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
32GO

Jim R asked:

How's everyone managing their winter rides?

Those of us in Southern California have been (very
appropriately) admonished on other internet forums that
we are not entitled to refer to the months of January
and February as 'Winter' - with or without the capital
'W'. But we do get snow, and I've even included one
photo taken near our home in the coastal city of Oxnard
and posted on our local recumbent group website as hard
evidence. The most direct link to check out what's been
happening in our part of the world is:

http://www.vcrr.org/news.htm

Seriously, although we've had a much needed bounty of
rain and snow in the mountains, it really hasn't had
much impact on our ride schedule, and we've been enjoying
a fine (off?) season. But of course we do feel very, very
guilty... no, really we do, really, really... ;-)

Regards,
Wayne
Old February 15th 08, 04:23 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
stratrider

On Feb 15, 11:12*am, 32GO wrote:
Wayne wrote:

Seriously, although we've had a much needed bounty of
rain and snow in the mountains, it really hasn't had
much impact on our ride schedule, and we've been enjoying
a fine (off?) season. But of course we do feel very, very
guilty... no, really we do, really, really... ;-)

Wayne, about three years ago I reluctantly went to LA/Hollywood and
played tourist with my wife and kids. I had no interest or desire but
I did it. Until that trip, I could not understand why ANYONE would
want to endure the traffic, smog, and expense of living in Southern
CA.... Sitting on the Santa Monica Pier eating lunch cleared it all
up for me! 70 something and sunny ALL the time really works for me!

Jim
Old February 15th 08, 05:21 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"stratrider" wrote in message

[Typical post from Google Groups with messed up quotation marks. I have
supplied my own.]

On Feb 15, 11:12 am, 32GO wrote:
Wayne wrote:

Seriously, although we've had a much needed bounty of
rain and snow in the mountains, it really hasn't had
much impact on our ride schedule, and we've been enjoying
a fine (off?) season. But of course we do feel very, very
guilty... no, really we do, really, really... ;-)

Wayne, about three years ago I reluctantly went to LA/Hollywood and
played tourist with my wife and kids. I had no interest or desire but
I did it. Until that trip, I could not understand why ANYONE would
want to endure the traffic, smog, and expense of living in Southern
CA.... Sitting on the Santa Monica Pier eating lunch cleared it all
up for me! 70 something and sunny ALL the time really works for me!

Weather isn't everything but anyone who does not get sick of winter by
Feb. has got to be crazy. However, the last thing we need to hear is how
pleasant the winters are elsewhere. Harry Brogan of Lincoln, Nebraska and
Ed Dolan of Worthington, Minnesota place a curse on all those who do not
suffer as we do through one of these god-awful Upper Midwest winters!
Yea, now is the winter of my discontent.

But screw California! I want a tropical climate. Anyone for Panama?

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old February 15th 08, 05:28 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent[_3_]

On Feb 15, 11:12 am, 32GO wrote:
Wayne wrote:

Seriously, although we've had a much needed bounty of
rain and snow in the mountains, it really hasn't had
much impact on our ride schedule, and we've been enjoying
a fine (off?) season. But of course we do feel very, very
guilty... no, really we do, really, really... ;-)

Wayne, about three years ago I reluctantly went to LA/Hollywood and
played tourist with my wife and kids. I had no interest or desire but
I did it. Until that trip, I could not understand why ANYONE would
want to endure the traffic, smog, and expense of living in Southern
CA.... Sitting on the Santa Monica Pier eating lunch cleared it all
up for me! 70 something and sunny ALL the time really works for me!

Jim

Right now a temp in the twenties would be a mini-heatwave. I'm about 40
miles due west of Chicago and the weather has been severe. In January we had
cold, snow, a thaw, rain and sun and on mostly clear roads and bike trail, I
rode a dozen times at temps as low as the upper twenties and some few rides
at near forty. Feb. has been snowy with a couple layers of ice. The roads,
while clear at the moment are coated with a corrosive mixture of NaCl and
CaCl...melts ice at temps near zero and dissolves autobodies and wiring
harnesses, but drivers have expectations of a right to traction and the road
crews are eager to ply their craft, which has the side affect of causing
extra potholes and a sales bonanza for tire/wheel companies and the potholes
guarantee a few extra dollars for the Asphalt plant.

My trike is in the garage ready to take to the road as soon as we have had
enough rain to clean the salt off the roads. I'll ride loops through the
many subdivisions until the multi-use trail is clear of ice and then I'll
add that to mix. Until that happens, I ride in front of a tv set with one
of my lowracers mounted toa fluid resistance trainer. I try to be a
disciplined trainer rider, but, alas, I'm not. I plod and fidgit and think
of warm spring days and rural roads with few cars and the gentle smells of
farmland.

Oh well, the other side of global warming is a glacial age...
gotbent aka frvt rider

Old February 16th 08, 12:07 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

stratrider wrote:
Hello all.

It's been a while since I last posted any questions or comments here
on ARBR. Anyway, other than my kids, most of us here in South Eastern
Pennsylvania have been pretty happy with the largely snowless winter
we are having here. Despite cold temps, I have been managing to ride
to work not less than one to two days a week and probably two weekend
rides a month. Not bad as compared to other winters. This morning
was a cold one (around 20 F). Yet with little wind, and the right
number of wicking layers, I was fine. How's everyone managing their
winter rides?

We may surpass 2.5 m (~100 inches) of snow for the season this weekend.

Old February 16th 08, 12:09 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Edward Dolan wrote:

"stratrider" wrote in message

[Typical post from Google Groups with messed up quotation marks. I have
supplied my own.]

No Ed, the posts from Google Groups look fine with a proper newsreader.
Your munged up micro$oft windoze mail 6.0 is fouling up the posts.

Old February 16th 08, 01:11 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

"stratrider" wrote in message

[Typical post from Google Groups with messed up quotation marks. I have
supplied my own.]

No Ed, the posts from Google Groups look fine with a proper newsreader.
Your munged up micro$oft windoze mail 6.0 is fouling up the posts.

Some posts from Google groups are mangled and others aren't. Therefore I
conclude that mistakes are being made by those posting from Google Groups.