Asymmetrical surfaces on brake pads, which mounting direction?

Old April 1st 16, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Asymmetrical surfaces on brake pads, which mounting direction?

Hello Folks,

The Promax Decipher brakes on my MTB use Avid BB5 compatible brake pads.
Could not get the ceramic-based ones and the new semi-metallic pads are
shaped asymmetrically:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1000_.jpg

I asked at Amazon and another customer said he mounted them with the
wide part towards the back. I thought the narrower part goes back so it
wipes dirt out of the way as the disc wipes through, like a
rear-pointing arrow.

Does anyone know which direction to mount them? Do they brake as well as
the old style pads which are symmetrical and have a little more surface
area?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 1st 16, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, April 1, 2016 at 5:45:32 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Hello Folks,

The Promax Decipher brakes on my MTB use Avid BB5 compatible brake pads.
Could not get the ceramic-based ones and the new semi-metallic pads are
shaped asymmetrically:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1000_.jpg

I asked at Amazon and another customer said he mounted them with the
wide part towards the back. I thought the narrower part goes back so it
wipes dirt out of the way as the disc wipes through, like a
rear-pointing arrow.

Does anyone know which direction to mount them? Do they brake as well as
the old style pads which are symmetrical and have a little more surface
area?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

narrow front wide back

thin front thick back

thin up thick down

fat rear skinny front

smooth front coarse back ( smooth thin coarse thick )

disregard if you are a submarine
Old April 1st 16, 11:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-04-01 15:10, wrote:
[...]

That's what the customer at Amazon also said. What is the reason for
mounting them this way?

smooth front coarse back ( smooth thin coarse thick )

disregard if you are a submarine

Yesterday I almost was for a few seconds. Came down a hill, singletrack,
flooded section, no way to escape, dodge or stop ... *SPLOSH*

Oh we had fun!

Old April 1st 16, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, April 1, 2016 at 6:33:04 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
On 2016-04-01 15:10, wrote:
[...]

Lucky for you the trail under that water wasn't washed out or there wasn't a hole there or you might have had a serious flying header and a long walk home.

Why do people ride at a high rate of speed into areas with no sight lines or blind corners where they can't see anyone who might be riding the opposite way? Do thet think that no one but themselves ride that area? I've seen a few accidents and near accidents that were caused by some bicyclist riding at high speed in an area where they couldn't see much and thus had no time to either react or avoid the other bicyclist. The near accidents didn't happen because at least one bicyclist was riding according to the conditions at thetime.

Riding at speed around a blind corner and then scaring a mountain lion is not a good thing. The reaction the cat might have might well be extreme.

Cheers
Old April 2nd 16, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2016-04-01 15:10, wrote:
[...]

that's a stupid question.

downwind
Old April 2nd 16, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-04-01 15:10, wrote:

[...]

disregard if you are a submarine

Yesterday I almost was for a few seconds. Came down a hill,
singletrack, flooded section, no way to escape, dodge or stop ...
*SPLOSH*

Oh we had fun!

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Lucky for you the trail under that water wasn't washed out or there
wasn't a hole there or you might have had a serious flying header and
a long walk home.

Another rider did but landed softly, mostly in mud.

Why do people ride at a high rate of speed into areas with no sight
lines or blind corners where they can't see anyone who might be
riding the opposite way? Do thet think that no one but themselves
ride that area? I've seen a few accidents and near accidents that
were caused by some bicyclist riding at high speed in an area where
they couldn't see much and thus had no time to either react or avoid
the other bicyclist. The near accidents didn't happen because at
least one bicyclist was riding according to the conditions at
thetime.

Yeah, I know, I know. It's a section that is normally never flooded or
even muddy so you can almost stop on a dime. Just not yesterday. Then
you have two choices:

a. Brake by going into a sideways slide and possibly end up in the
drink, after which you and the MTB will look like dunked in melted
chocolate.

b. Decide to go through (which we did) and, well, plow through.

Riding at speed around a blind corner and then scaring a mountain
lion is not a good thing. The reaction the cat might have might well
be extreme.

They hear you coming from far away, then make their decision wether to
stalk you or not. They prefer to stay away from people and usually
skedaddle in time. Brutus the bull OTOH ...

Old April 2nd 16, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Old April 6th 16, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2016-04-01 15:10, wrote:

[...]

[...]

The recent rains have washed the roads clean. On my ride yesterday I crossed one drivel of water across the road. In was only an inch or two wide. I slowed to almost stopped crossing it. When I got home the bike was covered in mud. The world ain't fair.
Old April 6th 16, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-04-01 15:10,
wrote:

[...]

[...]

The manufacturer of my MTB thought white is a good color for an MTB. No
idea what has befallen them to think that. I found that it won't get
more dirty after a certain "yuck level" and to me that yuck level is
acceptable. My wife has a very different opinion.

My road bike isn't all that clean either. On almost every ride there is
that mile or two of offroad stretch and no matter how carefully I ride
it gets dirty. So I stopped washing the raod bike as well until some
major repair needs to be done.

Old April 8th 16, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

the colour white is universal for stressed vehicle coatings.

brake pads .. ?? You know ?? Clyde Henpecker Rides 1 June 28th 09 08:20 AM
Brushing brake surfaces pm Techniques 9 April 29th 09 02:14 AM
Cross-hatching, 'etching', sanding braking surfaces (pads and rims) John Ampleforth Techniques 27 February 6th 07 05:35 AM
Pads for ceramic braking surfaces Gags Australia 14 May 17th 06 11:04 AM
Continental Top Touring 2000 Tires - Mounting Direction Question George Karabotsos Techniques 6 March 30th 05 03:32 PM