Handlebar rotation

Old July 22nd 17, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Handlebar rotation

On 7/22/2017 9:11 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/22/2017 3:32 AM, Jon B. Slocomb wrote:

With all the terror stories about the wars (by the way I also served
in the Korean war) why can't I speculate on those who shout Danger!
Danger! when they see a bicycle?

There's a pathology in our culture which paints soldiers as victims,
made from wholecloth. It's worse every year.

On one hand, I don't want to disrespect those who served in the
military. I didn't, but my wife did. My father earned a purple heart.

But ISTM that except in times of draft, joining up is an economic
decision, especially if we accept a broad definition of economics. I
know guys who enlisted because the GI Bill would help pay for college,
or help with a home loan. And of course, there are guys who enlist in
order to shake off their own bad behavior or bad associations. And that
often works. They made their decision based on the benefits they
expected, not because they wanted or expected to give their life for
their country.

Besides, most people with military experience saw no more hazards than
the average auto mechanic. Is it time for auto mechanics to get the
fancy T-shirts, the discounts on coffee, and the "Thanks for your (auto)
service"?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 22nd 17, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default How to trim [was: Handlebar rotation]

On 7/21/2017 7:54 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 6:56:59 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Snipped
And BTW, almost everyone accepts that topic drift happens, just as it
does in a normal face-to-face conversation. If the drift during any
particular thread bothers you, you can always alter the thread subject,
as I did above.

Snipped

Why not just be courteous and start an entirely new thread then? That would make searching RBT for PERTINENT DATA in a thread topic a lot easier. Besides RBT is NOT a face to face conversation. There's a term used to describe what happens when the thread topic is changed to something unrelated to that thread topic; the term is hijacking a thread and that's what happens here most of the time.

Um... Should that post have been in a new thread? Maybe one titled

Old July 23rd 17, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jon B. Slocomb

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 08:11:59 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 7/22/2017 3:32 AM, Jon B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 08:22:23 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, July 20, 2017 at 6:19:05 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 16:36:51 -0400, Frank Krygowski

On 2017-07-20 12:42, jbeattie wrote:

MUPs are super-scary!

I never had a scary situation in that respect and I ride bike paths
since about half a century now.

I've had almost no problems with the scary road situations you keep
bringing up. I've been riding roads as an avid adult cyclist for 45
years now, and before that I rode a lot as a kid.

Frank, I don't think that you understand at all.

You see, bicycling is actually a very dangerious pastime. Actually
more dangerious than bull fighting - 534 professional bullfighters
have died in the ring or from injuries sustained there.

This to actually do bicycling is proof positive that one is a brave,
dauntless and intrepid individual who practically daily engages in a
pastime in which few others are brave enough to participate

John, where the hell do you get off telling someone else what they should and shouldn't be afraid of? What do you want to bet you would back way off following me either up or down hills?

Why ever not?

After all a number of people have been rather vocal about all the
dangers of Vietnam and how they knew all these people that returned
from the wars with neurosis, when, given that I was in the military, I
must have known more people who had been to 'nam then the members of
this group, combined, knew and frankly I can't remember a single
person that appeared to suffer any problems. I even had a good friend,
Army Special Forces, that leaped out of airplanes and had done three
tours in Vietnam, the last two for which he had volunteered. Not a
sign of any phobia.

With all the terror stories about the wars (by the way I also served
in the Korean war) why can't I speculate on those who shout Danger!
Danger! when they see a bicycle?

There's a pathology in our culture which paints soldiers as
victims, made from wholecloth. It's worse every year.

Either victims or hooligans :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFUTHcjiZGo
or
https://www.poetryloverspage.com/poe...ing/tommy.html
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old July 23rd 17, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jon B. Slocomb

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 13:09:18 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 7/22/2017 9:11 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/22/2017 3:32 AM, Jon B. Slocomb wrote:

With all the terror stories about the wars (by the way I also served
in the Korean war) why can't I speculate on those who shout Danger!
Danger! when they see a bicycle?

There's a pathology in our culture which paints soldiers as victims,
made from wholecloth. It's worse every year.

On one hand, I don't want to disrespect those who served in the
military. I didn't, but my wife did. My father earned a purple heart.

Actually, your father didn't "earn" a purple heart :-) In fact had he
been offered a chance to earn one he would probably have declined.

But ISTM that except in times of draft, joining up is an economic
decision, especially if we accept a broad definition of economics. I
know guys who enlisted because the GI Bill would help pay for college,
or help with a home loan. And of course, there are guys who enlist in
order to shake off their own bad behavior or bad associations. And that
often works. They made their decision based on the benefits they
expected, not because they wanted or expected to give their life for
their country.

That was certainly true in the past. I was stationed with a guy who
was on his third enlistment, He served the first one, got out,
couldn't find a job,, reenlisted, got out, etc.

I'm not so sure that is as common these days what with unemployment,
aid to unwed mothers, etc.

Old July 23rd 17, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default Roads: was: Handlebar rotation

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 12:11:16 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

Some roads are more dangerous.

That reminds me of two roads near Albany, New York.

On one road, the drivers made me nervous by giving me altogether too
much room; I was afraid that somebody going the other way would come
along and I'd get hit with flying debris. On the other road, drivers
wouldn't shift a single centimeter for me. After I got my knuckles
rapped with a mirror, I stopped using that road entirely, no matter
how inconvenient the alternative was.

The drivers on both roads were the very same people. Road A was used
primarily for getting to Road B.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

tube rotation raging raven Techniques 37 April 16th 10 04:11 PM
Four-dimensional Rotation of the Universe. Ivan Gorelik Rides 8 March 30th 09 07:27 AM
Four-dimensional Rotation of the Universe. Ivan Gorelik Marketplace 4 March 30th 09 12:00 AM
Tire Rotation Tom Nakashima Techniques 54 August 15th 05 11:39 PM
tyre rotation geepeetee UK 4 April 20th 05 06:17 PM