"... I forgot to put batteries in my dynamo."

Old November 9th 13, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default "... I forgot to put batteries in my dynamo."

http://tinyurl.com/cambridge-lights

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 9th 13, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

Frank Krygowski writes:

http://tinyurl.com/cambridge-lights

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/Police-dish-out-1500-in-fines-to-not-so-bright-rogue-Cambridge-cyclists-in-just-over-an-hour-but-scores-more-escaped-trap-20131107174221.htm

“like shooting fish in a barrel”
Old November 9th 13, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

Frank Krygowski writes:

http://tinyurl.com/cambridge-lights

From the comments:

"... last night I saw a kid aged about 5 yo without lights."

"saw"? :-)

Old November 9th 13, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, November 9, 2013 7:50:58 PM UTC, Dan wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

http://tinyurl.com/cambridge-lights

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/Police-dish-out-1500-in-fines-to-not-so-bright-rogue-Cambridge-cyclists-in-just-over-an-hour-but-scores-more-escaped-trap-20131107174221.htm

like shooting fish in a barrel

A friend at Cambridge was arrested for being drunk in charge of a bicycle; he wasn't, just rowdy in the way of students everywhere. It looks like you can still find assholes with chips on their shoulders picking out of sheer spite on those more fortunate than them. Notice that these British Krygowsk-equivalents are "volunteer policemen". You can bet your house that if you accuse them of acting out of envy and spite, they'll say sourly, "Well, I never got a chance to go to Cambridge."

Andre Jute
Old November 10th 13, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

itsa epidemic.....everyone is ****ed oaf.....driving is getting hazardous....shhheeeet yawl cannah walk without one riding into you......

needing extra police as the regs gotta work with traffic n brawling drunks threatening the poor villagers MB's
Old November 10th 13, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 09:18:48 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/cambridge-lights

- Frank Krygowski

You are in jolly old England now?

But more practically, if you suffer from memory loss just nominate
your wife to remind you every time you go out the door, "Did you
remember your battery, Honey?"

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 10th 13, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Amazed to find myself agreeing with Phil! What's the world coming to?

Andre Jute
Old November 11th 13, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 10/11/2013 03:30, Phil W Lee wrote:
Frank Krygowski considered Sat, 9 Nov 2013
09:18:48 -0800 (PST) the perfect time to write:

http://tinyurl.com/cambridge-lights

- Frank Krygowski

All courtesy of the tory blight, which has been inflicted on
Cambridgeshire, (elected by a single figure percentage of voters) and
refuses to take road safety seriously enough to do anything about
dangerous driving, speed limit enforcement, careless driving,
infringement of cycle lanes by motor vehicles, or threatening
behaviour (as long as it's done with or from a motor vehicle). And
note that the car that was stopped without lights only received "words
of advice", despite clearly posing a far greater hazard to the general
public. Clear double standard (if you can find any standard at all -
I doubt if Sir Graham Dim could even spell it).

I don't really mind them having the occasional blitz on unlit cyclists -
it's not a continuous thing, it's a few hours, it gets headlines, and
encourages people to get lights. Note the timing - after the clocks
change, which is when people need reminding.

The fines aren't even fines unless you fail to demonstrate you've gone
and got some lights. That's positive policing, not being miserable facists.

Old November 11th 13, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 7:21:38 PM UTC-5, Clive George wrote:

I don't really mind them having the occasional blitz on unlit cyclists -
it's not a continuous thing, it's a few hours, it gets headlines, and
encourages people to get lights. Note the timing - after the clocks
change, which is when people need reminding.

The fines aren't even fines unless you fail to demonstrate you've gone
and got some lights. That's positive policing, not being miserable facists.

I don't mind enforcement either. At least in the U.S., wrong-way riding is common, and the dolts who do it are seldom have lights. I don't want to be surprised by one of those coming head-on at me.

Last time I saw a lightless, wrong-way cyclist was just the night before last. He was no problem to me because I was walking on the sidewalk, but I do often ride that street at night.

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 11th 13, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 11/11/13 13:29, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Sunday, November 10, 2013 7:21:38 PM UTC-5, Clive George wrote:

I don't really mind them having the occasional blitz on unlit
cyclists - it's not a continuous thing, it's a few hours, it gets
headlines, and encourages people to get lights. Note the timing -
after the clocks change, which is when people need reminding.

The fines aren't even fines unless you fail to demonstrate you've
gone and got some lights. That's positive policing, not being
miserable facists.

I don't mind enforcement either. At least in the U.S., wrong-way
riding is common, and the dolts who do it are seldom have lights. I
don't want to be surprised by one of those coming head-on at me.

Last time I saw a lightless, wrong-way cyclist was just the night
before last. He was no problem to me because I was walking on the
sidewalk, but I do often ride that street at night.

Here we are taught to walk opposing the traffic direction on a road that
has no foot path.

As pedestrians have no lights or reflectors, if a cyclist was to do
similar, provided they were moving at pedestrian speeds and could easily
move off the road if needs be, is there really a difference?

Maybe it's how they think?

--
JS