chain cleaning trick

Old July 15th 03, 12:11 AM
Deep Floyd Mars

Default chain cleaning trick

garlic wrote in message
A camping cyclist told me this story, and as a chain-lube
fanatic, i see this as a great alternative to "dinosaur juice" as applied

moving parts of machinery, just to get gummed up from tire dust or sand or
from drying out.. I always thought that the use of organic oils (i.e.

olive
oil, or jojoba oil) has untold benefits as alternative to petrolium oils.
Now I am convinced.
Now, when my exposed gear drive is dirty and gummy, I soak it with said

oil,
lay the bike out near a rat's nest
*(they are identified by stick mounds out in the woods) , and they
meticulously lick said components CLEAN . Watching in red light, the rats'
appendage is quite long and reaches difficult locations easily...
The abuse may occur if one relies on one critter repeatidly,
as a limit occurs when their scat becomes mostly sand...
This may end up being classed animal abuse or at worst, animal slavery,

but
not bondage...

I like this idea a lot! Personally, I have simply attacked my chain with
turps and a toothbrush for 5 minutes, and thought that did a pretty good
job, but the rat method sounds like a winner!

What if you were to use warmed-up butter? They would love that!
---
DFM

Old July 15th 03, 12:11 AM
garlic

A camping cyclist told me this story, and as a chain-lube
fanatic, i see this as a great alternative to "dinosaur juice" as applied to

Old July 15th 03, 08:04 AM
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee

Not a good idea. Do you want to get Weil's Disease (Leptospirosis???)

Old July 15th 03, 03:08 PM
Fritz M

"garlic" wrote:

Now, when my exposed gear drive is dirty and gummy, I soak it with
said oil, lay the bike out near a rat's nest
and they
meticulously lick said components CLEAN .

That is REALLY clever. So clever, in fact, that it's covered under U.S.
patent number 6,573,083 (believe it or not!)

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33| to alpha.
4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

Old July 15th 03, 04:32 PM
Don Freeman

"Fritz M" + wrote in message
"garlic" wrote:

Now, when my exposed gear drive is dirty and gummy, I soak it with
said oil, lay the bike out near a rat's nest
and they
meticulously lick said components CLEAN .

That is REALLY clever. So clever, in fact, that it's covered under

U.S.
patent number 6,573,083 (believe it or not!)

OK, I've been trolled. I just had look this one up:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/6,573,083

OR:

http://tinyurl.com/gzrd

(weight loss procedure involving the ingestion of E. coli)

Pretty funny though,

Old July 15th 03, 05:56 PM
Dan

"Fritz M" + wrote in message
"garlic" wrote:

Now, when my exposed gear drive is dirty and gummy, I soak it with
said oil, lay the bike out near a rat's nest
and they
meticulously lick said components CLEAN .

That is REALLY clever. So clever, in fact, that it's covered under U.S.
patent number 6,573,083 (believe it or not!)

RFM
--

A patent search of that number turned up something equally disturbing, but
clearly different than said application:
United States Patent 6,573,083
Raider June 3, 2003

1. A method of weight reduction in human beings, wherein a human being
ingests a laxative effective dosage of a non-pathogenic strain of
Escherichia coli, during a meal, so as to cause a premature laxation of the
meal, and produce a weight loss of up to two pounds within one week.

2. The method described in claim 1, wherein the human being ingests the
non-pathogenic strain of Escherichia coli by adding said bacteria to the
meal.

3. The method described in claim 1, wherein the human being ingests the
non-pathogenic strain of Escherichia coli immediately after the meal, but
during the period the human being digests the meal.

Old July 17th 03, 03:49 PM
Fritz M

Danny Bon-Ray Yang wrote:

I'm not sure how this covers rodents cleaning dirty gears.

It was a troll -- I was just playin' :-)

RFM
Old September 8th 03, 09:20 AM
Garrison Hilliard

"garlic" wrote:
This may end up being classed animal abuse or at worst, animal slavery, but
not bondage...

I think it's cruel, and suggest you you use a lower class of vermin to clean your chain... have you tried setting it outside a lawyer's office?