Homemade Sports Drink Recipes

Old June 24th 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Hamilton

Default Homemade Sports Drink Recipes

Does anybody here make their own homemade sports drinks to save money
instead of buying Gatorade, Accelerade, etc.? Is there actually any
advantage to buying the more expensive during-exercise and recovery drinks?

I found this so far: http://www.cptips.com/hmdesnk.htm
And his basic Gatorade-like recipe:
Recipe #1

* 10 tbs. sugar (5/8 cups or 120 grams)
* .75 tsp Morton Lite salt (4.2 grams)
* 1 package of unsweetened Kool-Aid mix for flavor
* Water to make 2 liters

Nutrition Information (per 8 ounces). The recipe will give a total of
124 grams of solute which in 2 liters water gives a total of 6.2%
concentration.

* 14.2 grams carbohydrate (6%)
* 53 calories
* 103 mg Sodium
* 121 mg Potassium

And my personal favorite for recovery is the large glass of skim milk
with a ton of table sugar mixed in.

Michael Hamilton
Old June 24th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jun 24, 2:39 pm, Mike Hamilton
wrote:
[...]

I switched to homemade from Accelerade partly to save money but mostly
because I was getting tired of the same one or two flavors for weeks
at a time. If there's a difference between homemade and store bought
it becomes apparent at a level that I haven't reached. Having a more
palatable drink, for me, more than makes up for any slight theoretical
advantage that the fancier stuff might offer. I don't use caffeine for
bike riding, BTW.

Old June 24th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 15:39:45 -0400, Mike Hamilton
wrote:

Does anybody here make their own homemade sports drinks to save money
instead of buying Gatorade, Accelerade, etc.? Is there actually any
advantage to buying the more expensive during-exercise and recovery drinks?

Some of the commercial drinks that have glucose polymers in them can
have more calories without tasting as sweet as your drink made with
just sucrose.

--
JT
****************************
Old June 24th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
user3162

wrote:

Does anybody here make their own homemade sports drinks to save money
instead of buying Gatorade, Accelerade, etc.? Is there actually any
advantage to buying the more expensive during-exercise and recovery drinks?

This is from a post that I saved in R.B.M I've been using it ever
since:

"You won't believe how close this sports drink recipe is to a
commercial product. It has 110 mg of sodium and 38 mg of potassium per
8-oz. serving. Cost is only about 30 cents per half gallon. Compare
that to $3 for Gatorade! You can adjust the sweetness to taste. --
John
R.

1 packet any flavor of unsweetened Kool-Aid or similar product for
making 2 quarts
8 tablespoons sugar
3/8 teaspoon of salt
1/8 teaspoon salt substitute that contains potassium chloride
2 quarts of water"

Old June 24th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Johnny Sunset

On Jun 24, 4:30 pm, "NickP" TOP POSTED:
Mine just comes out of the tap...

Drinking just water is a bad idea on a hot, humid day because of
hyponatremia [1]. If I want to be cheap, I mix some lemon concentrate
and salt with tap water.

[1] Been there, done that, wasn't at all pleasant.

Old June 25th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Warner[_2_]

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 15:39:45 -0400, Mike Hamilton wrote:

Does anybody here make their own homemade sports drinks to save money
instead of buying Gatorade, Accelerade, etc.?

Yep. Half and half maltodextrin and dextrose (glucose), in sacks of powder
from any brewing shop. About 4 tablespoons to the large bottle, with a
squirt of lemon or lime juice for flavour.

On long rides I prefer to pop the odd salt tablet than put it in my drink.

Old June 25th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greg Berchin[_2_]

Anybody have an equivalent recipe for All Sport? I loved the stuff,
particularly the cherry flavor, but it's been off the market for several
years.

Thanks,
Greg
Old June 25th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

[...]

Before the days of ERG, etc. I used to mix half of a 6 oz. can of tomato
paste per water bottle. Two of them helped keep away electrolyte bonk in
the hot Southwest sun.

Six oz. of tomato paste only contains about 80 calories but it has sodium,
potassium, calcium and magnesium, four elements that you loose in
perspiration.

One time another rider rode up beside me and grabbed the bottle out of my
TA handlebar water bottle cage and emptied on himself thinking it was H20.
That was the last time he touched any of my stuff. ;-)

Chas.