chain and gear cleaning

Old February 29th 04, 02:35 PM
John P

Default chain and gear cleaning

Can someone recommend what I can use for daily cleaning of my chain and
gears.

I just purchased a Pedro's cleaning kit and I didn't know how often I
should use the degreaser and the chain lube. It seems that if I use
these products after each ride I would go through them quite often.

A friend recommended to use a brush to clean the dirt and sand from the
gears and derailer after each ride and to use a clean rag with some
wd-40 to clean the chain. I guess I could then use the Pedro's stuff on
a less frequent basis.

thank you for your help

John

Old February 29th 04, 02:48 PM
GABIKE

A friend recommended to use a brush to clean the dirt and sand from the
gears and derailer after each ride and to use a clean rag with some
wd-40 to clean the chain.

Be VERY VERY careful with WD40, if you get it into any of the bearings it will
eat our the grease.
Gear and chain cleaning depend on the types of rides you do. If you MTB and go
for a muddy ride, you need to clean after each ride. If you road bike you can
clean after every 100 to 200 miles unless you get into rain or some other
grime. After each ride I take a rag and wipe down my chain and inspect the
gears for crud, before each ride I put a small amount of lube and wipe of the
excess. I also reuse my cleaning fluid but I wouldnt use it more than twice.
A good rule of thumb is that if you come home with a chain ring tatoo on your
leg, its time for a good cleaning.
Old February 29th 04, 03:11 PM
bert sclarz

What lube do you use?

Thanks for the feedback.

Old February 29th 04, 04:27 PM
Walter Mitty

David Kerber brightened my day with his incisive
wit when in he conjectured
that:

Personally, I think once a month is plenty unless you've been riding in
wet conditions (as soon as it dries), or you put big miles on t(hen
maybe weekly). After every ride seems like serious overkill to me.

Cycling around Hamburg in Germany means I clean my chain about 2 or 3 times
a week : the roads are saturated with salt and grit from anit-freeze
measures. The efficiency difference following a chain-clean is noticable.
Old February 29th 04, 05:51 PM
Cipher

John P wrote:
Can someone recommend what I can use for daily cleaning of my chain
and gears.
I just purchased a Pedro's cleaning kit and I didn't know how often I
should use the degreaser and the chain lube. It seems that if I use
these products after each ride I would go through them quite often.
A friend recommended to use a brush to clean the dirt and sand from the
gears and derailer after each ride and to use a clean rag with some wd-
40 to clean the chain. I guess I could then use the Pedro's stuff on a
less frequent basis.
thank you for your help
John

Once you have used all your Pedro's solvent, try Home Depot for a
product they sell called Simple Green. It's a bio-degradable citrus
based solvent that is relatively in-expensive (compared to what Pedro's
sells) and does just as good a job as the bike specific stuff sold out
there. It's sold by the gallon jug, so it should last you a while.

Old February 29th 04, 08:33 PM
David Kerber

In article , Kevan@mouse-
potato.com says...
On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:11:24 GMT, bert sclarz from Optimum
Online wrote:

What lube do you use?

This is almost a religion question.

I use Prolink ( http://www.progoldmfr.com/products/prolink.html ) .

Others have their favorite goo.

I like Phil's. Collects dirt like crazy, but lasts a long time, even
when things get wet.

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old February 29th 04, 09:04 PM
Peter Cole

Online wrote:

What lube do you use?

This is almost a religion question.

I use Prolink ( http://www.progoldmfr.com/products/prolink.html ) .

Others have their favorite goo.

I like Phil's. Collects dirt like crazy, but lasts a long time, even
when things get wet.

I use Phil's in the winter (better corrosion protection here in Boston),
Prolink the rest of the year.

Old February 29th 04, 09:24 PM
Dennis R. Anderson

"John P" wrote in message
Can someone recommend what I can use for daily cleaning of my chain and
gears.

I just purchased a Pedro's cleaning kit and I didn't know how often I
should use the degreaser and the chain lube. It seems that if I use
these products after each ride I would go through them quite often.

A friend recommended to use a brush to clean the dirt and sand from the
gears and derailer after each ride and to use a clean rag with some
wd-40 to clean the chain. I guess I could then use the Pedro's stuff on
a less frequent basis.

thank you for your help

John

John: (and of course the rest of the group) I do not itened this to be
regarded as SPAM although I posted a message to rec.bicycles.marketplace
also, but as an answer to John's question and as a help to anyone needing a
good chain lubricant. If it offends anyone I apologize in advance and I will
not be posting this recommendation in rb.misc. again.
Almost any Bike Shop will agree with me that the most overlooked
maintenance
item on any bike they service or repair is lubrication of the chain. WD-40
is a less than adequate lubricant, but it will wash off dirt, etc, ALONG
WITH ANY grease or other lubricants. I
found a product that is easy to use - doesn't sling off onto your clothes
when properly used and REALLY reduces friction. I couldn't find it in most
local bike shops, but when I did find it, made a deal with the wholeseller
to market it on eBay (where else). The stuff is expensive and I'll never
get rich selling it this way, (I make the price of one can for every two
cases of 24 cans I sell), but if you try it, you will definately use it and
recommend it to your other rider friends. Please look at my auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ADME:B:LC:US:1 ,
If it has already been sold, check my other auctiions or you may contact me
directly. Thanks

Old February 29th 04, 10:52 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

From: (Kevan=A0Smith) :

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:11:24 GMT,
bert sclarz from
Optimum Online wrote:

What lube do you use?

This is almost a religion question.

On rec.bicycles.tech, it is Expect this thread to get very long!
I use Prolink
http://www.progoldmfr.com/products/prolink.html ) .

Others have their favorite goo.

Mine is wax. (paraffin). Stays clean, doesn't wash off as easily, chain
cleans itself when reapplying (assuming it's done right). Don't bother
unless you're willing to spend the time. :-3)

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner