Boris Johnson's 'Near Death' experience caught on fillum.

Old May 23rd 09, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

Default Boris Johnson's 'Near Death' experience caught on fillum.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2.../boris-cycling

Stone me, that was close, not even Johnson deserves that.

Was the lorry driver interviewed?

A spot check of London's lorries found that every single one had a
defect in the vehicle or the driver was uninsured or exceeding the
tacho.

Close call.
Old May 23rd 09, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"spindrift" wrote in message
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2.../boris-cycling

Stone me, that was close, not even Johnson deserves that.

Was the lorry driver interviewed?

A spot check of London's lorries found that every single one had a
defect in the vehicle or the driver was uninsured or exceeding the
tacho.

Close call.

"Peddling" yet again, mind you, it *is* the Guardian.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old May 23rd 09, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jules[_3_]

spindrift wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2.../boris-cycling

Stone me, that was close, not even Johnson deserves that.

Was the lorry driver interviewed?

A spot check of London's lorries found that every single one had a
defect in the vehicle or the driver was uninsured or exceeding the
tacho.

All of them were checked? Yesterday? Do you have a link?

--
J.
Old May 23rd 09, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

On May 23, 5:07*pm, Jules wrote:
spindrift wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2.../boris-cycling

Stone me, that was close, not even Johnson deserves that.

Was the lorry driver interviewed?

A spot check of London's lorries found that every single one had a
defect in the vehicle or the driver was uninsured or exceeding the
tacho.

All of them were checked? *Yesterday? *Do you have a link?

--
J.

Lorry drivers in London can be cautious, considerate drivers.

Many lorry drivers in London are borderline sociopaths, I've seen a
scaffolding lorry hurl cigarette butts at cyclists and bully them out
of the way. I called the company to complain and was met with
indifference. I've seen lorry drivers read newspapers at the wheel,
chat away happily on a mobile and take stupid risks around cyclists.
Look at the Emma Foa case- the driver was found guilty of checking
his
paperwork as he drove a twenty ton lorry, killed a cyclist and got a
fine of 400 quid. Madness.

City of London [Police] spot checks on HGVs [were] carried out on 30
September 2008 as part of the Europe-wide Operation Mermaid2, which
is
intended to step up levels of enforcement of road safety laws in
relation to lorries.

On this one day, 12 lorries were stopped randomly by City Police.
Five
of those lorries were involved in the construction work for the 2012
Olympics. All of the twelve lorries were breaking the law in at least
one way

Repeat:

a 100 per cent criminality rate among small random sample of
HGVs on the streets of central London. The offences range included
overweight loads (2 cases), mechanical breaches (5 cases), driver
hours breaches (5 cases), mobile phone use while driving (2 cases),
driving without insurance (2 cases) and no operator license (1 case).

3 women have been killed by collisions with lorries so far this year.
I doubt that being able to turn left on red would have enabled any of
the 3 to avoid the collisions that killed them.

Meryem Ozekman, killed at Elephant and Castle last week, was nowhere
near a traffic light when she was run over. Rebecca Goosen, killed on
Old Street, was almost certainly going straight on over the junction
with Aldersgate Street, as her office was on Cowcross Street, so she
is likely to have followed Clerkenwell Road at least to the St John
Street junction.1 And Eilidh, killed at Notting Hill Gate, is known
have followed NHG all the way down to Shepherd’s Bush, and, in any
case, is reported to have been on the right hand side of the lorry
that killed her.

http://www.movingtargetzine.com/arti...-at-the-lights

Old May 23rd 09, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Simon Mason wrote:

"spindrift" wrote in message
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2.../boris-cycling

Stone me, that was close, not even Johnson deserves that.

Was the lorry driver interviewed?

A spot check of London's lorries found that every single one had a
defect in the vehicle or the driver was uninsured or exceeding the
tacho.

Close call.

"Peddling" yet again, mind you, it *is* the Guardian.

And where was the "head scrstching"?
Old May 23rd 09, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jules[_3_]

spindrift wrote:
On May 23, 5:07 pm, Jules wrote:
spindrift wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2.../boris-cycling
Stone me, that was close, not even Johnson deserves that.
Was the lorry driver interviewed?
A spot check of London's lorries found that every single one had a
defect in the vehicle or the driver was uninsured or exceeding the
tacho.

All of them were checked? Yesterday? Do you have a link?

Lorry drivers in London can be cautious, considerate drivers.

[snip loads of irrelevant ramblings]

Why didn't you just say "no"?

City of London [Police] spot checks on HGVs [were] carried out on 30
September 2008 as part of the Europe-wide Operation Mermaid2, which
is
intended to step up levels of enforcement of road safety laws in
relation to lorries.

Do you have a link for that?

--
J.
Old May 23rd 09, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

On May 23, 5:23*pm, JNugent wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:

"spindrift" wrote in message
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2.../boris-cycling

Stone me, that was close, not even Johnson deserves that.

Was the lorry driver interviewed?

A spot check of London's lorries found that every single one had a
defect in the vehicle or the driver was uninsured or exceeding the
tacho.

Close call.

"Peddling" yet again, mind you, it *is* the Guardian.

And where was the "head scrstching"?- Hide quoted text -

Bloody typical. The one time I forget to lock the lorry door, who
should I nearly kill but the bloody mayor and the Minister of
Transport?
Old May 23rd 09, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

Simon Mason wrote:

"spindrift" wrote in message
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2.../boris-cycling
Stone me, that was close, not even Johnson deserves that.
Was the lorry driver interviewed?
A spot check of London's lorries found that every single one had a
defect in the vehicle or the driver was uninsured or exceeding the
tacho.
Close call.
"Peddling" yet again, mind you, it *is* the Guardian.

And where was the "head scrstching"?- Hide quoted text -

Bloody typical. The one time I forget to lock the lorry door, who
should I nearly kill but the bloody mayor and the Minister of
Transport?

Perhaps they'll notice too that it appeared to have been jolted open by
the speed hump. And maybe they'll realise that adding another source of
risk and danger to the roads is, perhaps, not such a good idea.

--
Matt B
Old May 23rd 09, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keith T

Simon Mason wrote:

"spindrift" wrote in message
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2.../boris-cycling

Stone me, that was close, not even Johnson deserves that.

Was the lorry driver interviewed?

A spot check of London's lorries found that every single one had a
defect in the vehicle or the driver was uninsured or exceeding the
tacho.

Close call.

"Peddling" yet again, mind you, it *is* the Guardian.

Looking at the vid it appears that going over the speed humps a wee bit
quick may have shaken the door loose. Careful driving at the correct
speed might not have opened the door. A bit quicker might have . . .

Just another 'near death' experience for a cyclist.
You get used to them - sort of.

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old May 23rd 09, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Matt B" wrote in message

Perhaps they'll notice too that it appeared to have been jolted open by
the speed hump. And maybe they'll realise that adding another source of
risk and danger to the roads is, perhaps, not such a good idea.

No wonder so many illegal immigrants can get into the back of lorries in
Calais if a jolt over a speed bump at low speeds can force open a lorry rear
door!

Reminds me of a local guy who complained to the local paper about damage to
his car when driving over a speed hump at 30 mph. A councillor pointed out
that had he driven over it at the legal limit of 20mph, then his car would
probably not have been damaged.