Vigilante Plumber on bike

Old September 21st 09, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
tim

Default Vigilante Plumber on bike

from
http://www.chiswickw4.com/default.as...oncrime517.htm

Is It A Bird? Is It A Plane?
No it's a vigilante plumber on a bike!

Saturday shoppers were stopped in their tracks by the spectacle of a
man running at speed along the middle of High Road shouting at a thief
who had made off on his bicycle.

Explaining the course of events which led to the chase, Philip Wilkins
told ChiswickW4.com, "I had promised my five year old Louis a Greg's
steak bake while out cycling together on Saturday so when we arrived
Louis ran straight inside and started inspecting the donuts and I
followed quickly to manage his selection.

"Almost immediately a staff member turned to me and asked 'Is that
your bike?' I turned around and my bike was gone. It was less that 15
seconds after I had entered the shop! I told Louis to stay in the shop
and ran out the door to see a man about 25m away cycling my bike. I
sprinted after him shouting 'Stop that man, that's my bike!'"

Initially the thief struggled with the unfamiliar bike however once he
got into his stride he cycled away towards traffic lights at the end
of Acton Lane.

Philip continued, "Crowds of shoppers stopped and stared as I sprinted
down the white line in the middle of the High Road shouting at the top
of my voice. I gave up chasing at Town Hall Avenue but noted at that
point I was passed by a speeding cyclist. Mindful of my son, I walked
back to Greggs."

Philip took his son home and went out in his car to search for his 15
year old bike which he says is worth nothing more than sentimental
value.

"Unsurprisingly there was no sign of the bike so around 5.00pm I went
to Chiswick Police Station to report it stolen. The officer was great,
as I began to tell the story he asked me if it was a red trek mountain
bike. When I told him it was, he handed me my bike and said you owe Mr
Jack Molloy a huge thank you."

The officer explained that Jack Molloy was the speeding cyclist that
Philip had noticed passing him on the High Road. Mr Molloy had chased
the thief along Sutton Lane then Heathfield Gardens before turning
left on to the A4 heading east towards London where he had managed to
catch up with him, urging him to get off the stolen bike.

According to Mr Molloy, the thief was undeterred and pedaled on making
dangerous maneuvers amongst the A4 Traffic in an attempt to shake off
his pursuer. Realising he was not going to escape, he dropped the
stolen bike it in the middle of the A4 before jumping across the
central reservation and running off.

Retrieving the bike, Mr Molloy tried in vain to find its rightful
owner on the High Road before dropping it off at Chiswick Police
Station.

A plumber from North London, Mr Molloy explained to a very grateful
Philip that he was on his way to a job in Kew and because he enjoys
cycling where possible he attends appointments on his bicycle with his
tools stowed in panniers.

"I was just keen to help and pleased to see the bike returned." Jack
Molloy said modestly.

Old September 21st 09, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
OG

"tim" wrote in message
from
http://www.chiswickw4.com/default.as...oncrime517.htm

Is It A Bird? Is It A Plane?
No it's a vigilante plumber on a bike!

Surely it's vigilant, rather than vigilante

Old September 21st 09, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Clayton

"tim" wrote in message
from
http://www.chiswickw4.com/default.as...oncrime517.htm

Is It A Bird? Is It A Plane?
No it's a vigilante plumber on a bike!

Saturday shoppers were stopped in their tracks by the spectacle of a
man running at speed along the middle of High Road shouting at a thief
who had made off on his bicycle.

snip

A plumber from North London, Mr Molloy explained to a very grateful
Philip that he was on his way to a job in Kew and because he enjoys
cycling where possible he attends appointments on his bicycle with his
tools stowed in panniers.

"I was just keen to help and pleased to see the bike returned." Jack
Molloy said modestly.

A fine story, many thanks.
John

Old September 22nd 09, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
al Mossah[_2_]

On 21 Sep, 22:54, "John Clayton"
wrote:
"tim" wrote in message

... from
http://www.chiswickw4.com/default.as...oncrime517.htm

Is It A Bird? Is It A Plane?
No it's a vigilante plumber on a bike!

Saturday shoppers were stopped in their tracks by the spectacle of a
man running at speed along the middle of High Road shouting at a thief
who had made off on his bicycle.

snip

A plumber from North London, Mr Molloy explained to a very grateful
Philip that he was on his way to a job in Kew and because he enjoys
cycling where possible he attends appointments on his bicycle with his
tools stowed in panniers.

"I was just keen to help and pleased to see the bike returned." Jack
Molloy said modestly.

A fine story, many thanks.
John

Indeed; just the sort of fine chap one wants cycling past at the right
time. Hope some of you local guys will give him some work!
Old September 23rd 09, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Wm...

Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:13:48

uk.rec.cycling tim

from
http://www.chiswickw4.com/default.as...oncrime517.htm

"I was just keen to help and pleased to see the bike returned." Jack
Molloy said modestly.

yay! good tale, thanks.

--
Wm...
Old September 23rd 09, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alistair Gunn

OG twisted the electrons to say:
"tim" wrote in message
from
http://www.chiswickw4.com/default.as...oncrime517.htm
Is It A Bird? Is It A Plane?
No it's a vigilante plumber on a bike!

Surely it's vigilant, rather than vigilante

nods With the use of the word "vigilante" I was expecting there to be
some kind of "whlist wielding a pipe" action involved ...
Old September 23rd 09, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Hall

"tim" wrote in message
from
http://www.chiswickw4.com/default.as...oncrime517.htm
Is It A Bird? Is It A Plane?
No it's a vigilante plumber on a bike!

Surely it's vigilant, rather than vigilante

nods With the use of the word "vigilante" I was expecting there to be
some kind of "whlist wielding a pipe" action involved ...

"...in The Ballroom, with the lead piping"
--
Tim
Old September 23rd 09, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Wm...

Wed, 23 Sep 2009 15:06:22
uk.rec.cycling Tim Hall

"tim" wrote in message
from
http://www.chiswickw4.com/default.as...oncrime517.htm
Is It A Bird? Is It A Plane?
No it's a vigilante plumber on a bike!
Surely it's vigilant, rather than vigilante

nods With the use of the word "vigilante" I was expecting there to be
some kind of "whlist wielding a pipe" action involved ...

"...in The Ballroom, with the lead piping"

Bugger, I have just checked and I don't have a scarlet jumper. I do
have a spanner if anyone wants to use that. I also have mustard (good
old fashioned powdered stuff) and flour.

I'm thinking of baking a savoury tart. Would that count as murder of
ingredients?

--
Wm...