Knocked off today.

Old September 20th 09, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Passing Tyke

Default Help - is it broken?

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 18:11:31 +0100, Rob Morley wrote:

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 18:01:43 +0100
"Passing Tyke" wrote:

Ok, I admit it, my bike mechanic skills are lamentable, so please
don't be harsh.

My bike has a suspension seatpost. Today, I picked up the bike by
the saddle and the whole thing came out in my hand. When I tried to
put it back it just wasn't working, it wouldn't fit back in at all.
My question is, has something broken? There's a picture of the
seatpost he

http://www.zen132905.zen.co.uk/P9201021.JPG

Is this what a suspension seatpost should look like? It looks odd to
me.

I'm guessing here - if you loosen the screw at the bottom it should
allow the polymer spring to relax, so it fits in the outer tube again.
The bit above the spring probably screws onto the outer tube. Then
you'll want to tighten the bottom screw again.

Thanks - I followed your instructions and unscrewed the screw at the end,
but nothing happened. The other thing here is that it is far too short
now to be able to adjust to the right height for riding.
Old September 20th 09, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Default Knocked off today.

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 10:32:01 -0700 (PDT)
John Kane wrote:

Isn't that leaving the scene of an accident? I think it's a no-no
here.

It is here too, although it's possible that the driver reported the
accident at a local police station, which is OK if it wasn't possible
to exchange details at the time.

Old September 21st 09, 03:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MatSav

Ian Smith wrote:
On 19 Sep 2009, Ian Jackson
wrote:

There's a scheme for compensating victims of uninsured
drivers, and
another for victims of hit-and-runs.

But unless you're really seriously injured, and/or really
skint, it's
not worth the aggro. ...
Plus, I was very nervous of the terms the lawyer types (CTCs
ones)
wanted me to agree to - if I started the claim, I could not
withdraw
it without paying all their costs out of my own pocket. They
could
require me to attend any number of examinations at any location
(expenses paid, but not my time paid, so far as I could see).

Your time *is* an expense. You can sue for lost income (but you
must be able to prove an actual loss). Even if your employer
gives you paid time off for the medical examinations, and sick
leave for your recovery, you can still make the claim - but you'd
have to repay your employer. Doing this will usually mean any
paid time off is "repaid" to your sick leave entitlement, so it
can be worthwhile.

--
MatSav

Old September 21st 09, 03:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MatSav

Judith M Smith wrote:
On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 17:13:40 +0100, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

Well, I've had a good run. On the way to work today I
was
knocked off by a car driver who decided he didn't
want to
wait for the car in front to turn right, so he passed
by on
its left taking me with him. ...

I was riding at 23 mph when a car came alongside me, then
saw
the right turning car ahead and he turned to the left of
this
car entering a hashed area with a solid white line into
which I
was forced and ultimately struck.

I was object x in this photo.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/zhash.jpg

Thanks for everyone's good wishes.

Is that a cycle path to the left of the hatched area? -
which is
not bounded by a solid line - despite what you say.

There is no cycle path there, just a hatched area.

HC 130
Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the
road.
These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic
turning
right.

a.. if the area is bordered by a broken white line, you
should not
enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it
is
safe to do so

Indeed

I was just pointing out that you incorrectly said it was a
solid line
- it wasn't and hence vehicles may go in to that area.

Actually, it looks like the white line *is* solid at the point of
deviation and impact. Worse than that, it's a zigzag line
indicating the approach to a pedestrian crossing - so there could
be another moving traffic offence (of overtaking a leading
vehicle within the approach).

--
MatSav

Old September 21st 09, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

wrote:
[...]

I suspect that, in fact, it isn't a statutory road marking at all -
hence completely meaningless and unenforceable. Hull is renowned for
its imaginative use of road markings, and reliance on driver confusion
as a road safety ploy - not that that is a bad thing.

Hatchings are usually used to separate lanes and to protect right
turning traffic from head-on and rear-end collisions. Also, they are
usually bounded by solid or dashed lines - not zig-zags. What are those
hatchings there for?

--
Matt B
Old September 21st 09, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Thorpe[_2_]

Eleanor Blair wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
I was given a stern
lecture about my lack of helmet by the fracture guy who recorded the fact on
my diagnosis sheet.

When I went to A&E to get a suspected broken finger checked out after I
came off my bike I too was asked if I had been wearing a helmet. Given
my injuries wearing jeans and a jacket, boots and gloves rather than
shorts and a strappy top and sandals would have made more difference.

I can understand why that question irritates, but this may be part of an
attempt to gather data for the kind of statistical studies that
fascinate parts of this newsgroup.
If you want to get meaningful data you probably do have to ask this of
everyone who presents with a cycling injury.

--
Roger Thorpe

....Wait a minute, It's stopped raining/
Guys are swimming, guys are sailing.....
Old September 21st 09, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Rudin[_2_]

Roger Thorpe writes:

If you want to get meaningful data you probably do have to ask this of
everyone who presents with a cycling injury.

I broke a bone in my shoulder when mountain biking this summer. Nobody
at the hospital asked me about helmets, so it's clearly not a policy
across the whole of the NHS to gather such data.

Old September 21st 09, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Simon Mason wrote:

Well, I've had a good run. On the way to work today I was knocked off
by a car driver who decided he didn't want to wait for the car in
front to turn right, so he passed by on its left taking me with him.
Some very kind people rang for an ambulance and I was carted off to
A+E. I was given a stern lecture about my lack of helmet by the
fracture guy who recorded the fact on my diagnosis sheet.

After the X Ray, I was told I had a broken collar bone, so presumably
a helmet would have prevented this ;-/

Good job it's the end of the season!

Hard luck Simon, hope you get well soon.

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp

Old September 21st 09, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 10:07:07 +0100 someone who may be Roger Thorpe
wrote this:-

When I went to A&E to get a suspected broken finger checked out after I
came off my bike I too was asked if I had been wearing a helmet. Given
my injuries wearing jeans and a jacket, boots and gloves rather than
shorts and a strappy top and sandals would have made more difference.

I can understand why that question irritates, but this may be part of an
attempt to gather data for the kind of statistical studies that
fascinate parts of this newsgroup.

It may be. It may also be part of policy based evidence making, for
the reason given below.

If you want to get meaningful data you probably do have to ask this of
everyone who presents with a cycling injury.

"Presents"? A perfect example of provider-centric thinking. People
are not prize vegetables, presented to judges. Rather, people's busy
lives are interrupted and they go or are taken to the people who are
paid to fix them, if they can. Lectures about silly pieces of
plastic by people who don't know anything useful about the subject
of preventing crashes is not what the public pays them to do.

If pedestrians, motorists and other groups who end up in hospital
with suspected broken fingers are asked if they had been wearing a
helmet then I would accept the interpretation you suggest. However,
since they only ask cyclists it is fairly clear that it is an
example of policy based evidence making.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Knocked off bike Steve Walford UK 8 October 27th 08 06:18 PM
Just been knocked off my bike!! [email protected] UK 18 March 22nd 08 09:37 PM
What to do when you are knocked off by another cyclist? David Green UK 12 May 29th 05 12:03 PM
Nearly knocked off by the plod. Simon Mason UK 6 September 25th 03 11:24 PM
Knocked off by a badger Gary Knighton UK 4 July 24th 03 12:43 AM