Bleeding Avid Brakes.

Old April 13th 21, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Bleeding Avid Brakes.

After watching the bleeding method of Shimano brakes it was less than 20 minutes to bleed the Shimano disk brakes quite easily and efficiently. The previous brakes on that same bike have been a flat bar Avid brakeset that a shop had bled.

I could not find a shop that wanted to even touch the Avid DB3 brakeset on my Felt gravel bike so I watched a Russian video on how to bleed them and it looked easy enough.

Well it isn't. Those older Avid brakes from before SRAM bought them are painfully difficult to bleed. At one point I managed to get one of them to start working but when you have to disconnect the hypodermic syringes and put the sealing covers back on, it reintroduces air into the system and you are back where you started. If you follow the bleeding directions it doesn't seem to operate the way that Russian showed it. And I can only understand one word out of a dozen in Russian. It would be easier in French but there are no more DB3 directions on the internet that I can find. They could have easily made them bleedable by putting the bleeding ports at the highest point of the levers so why did they chose to do otherwise? Also the bleeding kit did not contain the Avid sized piston wedge so I used the Shimano. The should not have made any difference but it was irksome. Unless you fit it in exactly right it falls out.

The bottle of DOT 5.1 from the Avid dealer rapidly ran out since every time you pull off a syringe you get fluid leaking out. I went to the auto parks store and they are being acquired by another company and the 5.1 is all gone off of their shelves. There was one bottle that said that it worked for 5.1, 3 and 4. When I had looked everything up it appeared to me that DOT 4 was the same as 5.1. The kid behind the counter said that DOT 5.1 was for racing cars and showed me a bottle of European stuff. But it had no DOT numbers on it so I was forced to use Amazon and order a car sized bottle which cost the same as the 4 ounce bottle from SRAM.
Old April 15th 21, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 9:26:54 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I watched a video on how to bleed the newer Avid brakes and surprise - the guy has the ability to explain what is happening, so tomorrow I should be able to bleed them off rather easily.. I also obtained a set of those piston locks that work on Avid though the guy in the video didn't use them but instead reinstalled the brake pads and wheel disk while bleeding. This would help if you had worn brake pads but I don't.