Kirsten GUM's Predictions

Old July 14th 03, 10:05 PM
James Cagney

Default Kirsten GUM's Predictions

Was I the only one that noticed how uncomfortable Paul and Phil were
at the start of the tour when Kirsten was asking them questions? I
thought Phil was going to start laughing right in the camera. The
exchange was as smooth as sandpaper

I love to hear OLN's new upcoming star give her daily predictions of
the winner of the stage - Like she even knows who these guys are?

I wonder what genius decided to throw her in the middle of the biggest
bike race of the year with no knowledge or experience in cycling? Its
certainly not her fault but if she talks about the bikers legs one
more time, i am going to puke.

It does seem that the producers at OLN have tried to limit her on air
time and stupid questions to Phil and Paul - Poor Bob is stuck with
her now.

"OLN is honored and thrilled to play a part on this historic occasion
celebrating one of the world's most electrifying sporting events,"
stated E. Roger Williams, president and CEO of Outdoor Life Network.
"The Tour de France epitomizes the dedication and spirit of
world-class athletes performing at their highest level – ideals which
our network strives to capture in all of our programming." ALTHOUGH
OUR ANNOUNCERS MAY NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SHIMANO AND CAMPY,
WE WILL DO OUR BEST!
Old July 14th 03, 10:58 PM
Clovis Lark

Callistus Valerius wrote:
I brought this up earlier in this newsgroup about her lack of credentials
and was scolded by most here in rbr. All I can figure is that they all so
dazzled by her looks, that they would wish there was more Kirsten face time
and less TDF.

Thanks gawd you didn't ask for less time with the Captain, or the
Tomb-Raider hottie Jolie...

Old July 15th 03, 12:11 AM
Callistus Valerius

Just get over it and enjoy the coverage.

everyone in rbr is waiting for her to lift her shirt up.

Old July 15th 03, 01:28 AM
Lewdvig

Why not hire one of the cute young female pros that isn't racing in July.
Better looking IMO and you know they could kick most of our asses.

Old July 15th 03, 01:30 AM
Lewdvig

Yeah, the very fate of the world hangs in the balance with every character
typed in the message board.

Buzz off! Stay outta this thread if you can't dig it.

"IamN2Speed" wrote in message

"James Cagney" wrote in message
Was I the only one that noticed how uncomfortable Paul and Phil were
at the start of the tour when Kirsten was asking them questions? I
thought Phil was going to start laughing right in the camera. The
exchange was as smooth as sandpaper

My gawd, can we get over the Kirsten Gum posts? I am so tired of reading
every other post complaning about OLN's choice to choose her as an
announcer. You guys are giving her more attention than the race for

crying
out loud. Just get over it and enjoy the coverage.

Old July 15th 03, 02:43 AM
Robin

James Cagney wrote:
[...]

I want Phil to stop talking about the bikers legs!

Old July 15th 03, 04:13 AM
James Cagney

"Callistus Valerius" wrote in message ...
I brought this up earlier in this newsgroup about her lack of credentials
and was scolded by most here in rbr. All I can figure is that they all so
dazzled by her looks, that they would wish there was more Kirsten face time
and less TDF.

The thing is Ms. Gum does zero for me in terms of looks - honestly, i
just don't think she is that hot. Put another way, her looks do not
zero out her obvious lack of any cycling knowledge and broadcast
professionalism. I have worked in the biz and understand the "Host"
usually does not have much experience in the sport and is merely a
manager of the "experts" The problem is her managment skills and basic
lead in questions are so non-professional. She is either dating
someone at the channel or knows someone at the top, because she would
never get this job on pure talent. I am sure she does fine work in
whatever she did before, but you can tell she is nervous and has no
idea what to ask the boys! on the job experience i guess
Old July 15th 03, 04:16 AM
James Cagney

My gawd, can we get over the Kirsten Gum posts? I am so tired of reading
every other post complaning about OLN's choice to choose her as an
announcer. You guys are giving her more attention than the race for crying
out loud. Just get over it and enjoy the coverage.

Your probably right - i am enjoying the coverage, just as long as she
doesn't talk or ask stupid questions to Phil and Paul
Old July 15th 03, 01:12 PM
GreatCube

OLN is doing a fantastic coverage job, but using Kirsten Gum for color
commentary is a stroll into the Twilight Zone. It is like using Terry
Bradshaw to cover professional squash matches. But the decision to use
Gum mirrors a general social trend - to treat news coverage, talk
shows and sporting events like they are NASCAR events, and in doing
so, appeal to the lowest common denominator to achieve the highest
possible rating. OLN has made a great commitment to bike racing
coverage, and done so with aplomp. A little tweaking, starting with "
emergency gum surgery ", would make it even better!