Front Derailleur problems (chain falls off inside)

Old October 23rd 03, 07:54 AM
Post to newsgroup

Default Front Derailleur problems (chain falls off inside)

I have an older style Durace crankset and front double derailleur. I
used the 9speed upgrade and everything works pretty well. However,
sometimes when I'm pedalling hard, the rear cog is the 4th biggest
gear and I change the front from the big to small, the chain falls
off.

I set the inner stop as far as possible without chain rub on the
smallest gear settings but it still falls off. I put the fr.
derailleur as low as it can go and still clearing the front teeth.

It only happens sometimes but it's quite annoying because I'm usually
climbing a hill and I can't keep pedalling so sometimes tip over as I
try to unlock my cleats.

Any other ideas for adjustments? Should I replace the front
derailleur with a new 9 speed derailleur or are they the same? I'm
thinking I should buy a 3rd eye chain watcher but not sure where to
get one close to Palo Alto, CA.

Please just post to the newsgroup for everyone to benefit. Thanks.
Old October 23rd 03, 11:58 AM
Matt

Post to newsgroup wrote in message . ..
[...]

I would recommend a Jump Stop from N-Gear. There is no better way to
prevent dropped chains, IMHO.

http://gvtc.com/~ngear/

A pleased customer,
Matt
Old October 23rd 03, 01:12 PM
Joseph

I had exactly the same problem and a cyclist with a lot of experience told
me to slow down the speed of pedalling when you are changing to the smaller
chainring. That is don't try and keep up with the pedalling action. I
haven't had a problem since. I also was usually going up an incline and had
trouble getting feet out of the clips in time.

Old October 23rd 03, 03:42 PM
Voltaire

[...]

I suggest either a Deda Dog Fang
http://cambriabike.com/chain&guide/chains.htm or a Third Eye Chain Watcher
http://www.product-finder.net/icycle...n-Watcher.html . The
Third Eye Chain Watcher ($9.50) is adjustable for almost any seat tube. The
Dog Fang is available in various sizes, looks cleaner, but is slightly more
expensive ($12). Both of these are indispensable on any double or triple.
Ever since I dropped my chain at the start of the finish hill in the
District Road Race, I've used a Third Eye on all of my racing bikes.

Vol(never drop a chain again)taire

Old October 23rd 03, 04:47 PM
Matt O'Toole

"Voltaire" wrote in message

[...]

Agreed. This is probably the best solution, and maybe the only one. I can
personally vouch for the Chain Watcher. It works seamlessly.

No one seems to be able to pinpoint the cause of this problem, but it's endemic
to all Shimano drivetrains, and almost unheard of with Campy. The best
explanation I've heard is that Shimano's chainrings release the chain too
suddenly. The old "SG" style Shimano chainrings, which have gates but no ramps
or pins, seem to be the most prone. I once had this problem with an old
mountain bike, but it stopped when I switched to a generic chainring in the
middle position.

Anyway, put on a Chain Watcher or similar device, and your problem will be
solved.

Matt O.

Old October 23rd 03, 04:52 PM
Carl Fogel

[...]

Dear Nospam,

Try calling Performance Bicycles at 800-727-2433 if California
is out of chain watchers. They take checks if your internet
fears extend to credit cards.

The chain still comes off, but can usually be pulled back into
place with a friction shifter--I can't speak for brifters. You
might search for a recent thread about the "Deda Dog Fang,"
another brand.

Carl Fogel
Old October 23rd 03, 08:15 PM
Ray Heindl

Post to newsgroup wrote:

I have an older style Durace crankset and front double derailleur. I
used the 9speed upgrade and everything works pretty well. However,
sometimes when I'm pedalling hard, the rear cog is the 4th biggest
gear and I change the front from the big to small, the chain falls
off.

Is your chain the right length? When I bought my current bike I had
trouble with the chain falling off to the inside. After lots of grief
and way too many visits to the LBS they finally figured out that the
chain was too long. They removed a couple links, and I haven't had a
problem since.

--
Ray Heindl
(remove the X to reply)
Old October 23rd 03, 10:50 PM
Richard Chan

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message news:kKSlb.34647

No one seems to be able to pinpoint the cause of this problem, but it's endemic to all Shimano drivetrains, and almost unheard of with Campy.

That's not my experience and observation. I would even say that chain
watchers are mandatory for that brand while just a precaution for the
other.
Old October 24th 03, 01:44 AM
Jeff Starr

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message .. .

No one seems to be able to pinpoint the cause of this problem, but it's endemic
to all Shimano drivetrains, and almost unheard of with Campy. The best
explanation I've heard is that Shimano's chainrings release the chain too
suddenly. The old "SG" style Shimano chainrings, which have gates but no ramps
or pins, seem to be the most prone. I once had this problem with an old
mountain bike, but it stopped when I switched to a generic chainring in the
middle position.

Anyway, put on a Chain Watcher or similar device, and your problem will be
solved.

Matt O.

I have the same problem with a Sora double crankset on my 12-speed
French road bike. I'm using the matching Sora FD with it. I had been
planning on getting a chain catcher, but then read that they were for
triples.
I appreciate a thread like this, where I can learn something. I'll be
getting a Chain Watcher or Dog Fang. I'll have to see which one my LBS
stocks.
Thanks everyone, for the advice.
Life is Good!
Jeff
Old October 24th 03, 06:07 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Any other ideas for adjustments? Should I replace the front
derailleur with a new 9 speed derailleur or are they the same? I'm
thinking I should buy a 3rd eye chain watcher but not sure where to
get one close to Palo Alto, CA.

The 3rd-eye or Jump Stop are both excellent solutions, provided that your
frame accepts them. We should have them in both of our stores (Redwood City
and Los Altos); in Palo Alto, you might try Palo Alto Bicycles or Mike's
Bikes.

You mention that you've upgraded to 9-speed... was the prior equipment
8-speed? What's left of the 8-speed system? Yes, it's possible that the
newer 9-speed front derailleur will keep it from shifting off, but it might
not make any difference at all... mostly it will just shift a bit faster and
match up with the detents for trimming a bit better.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com