10 speed conversion pains

Old January 20th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default 10 speed conversion pains

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:33:49 -0500, Doug Taylor
wrote:

So, until SRAM finally comes out with a 10 speed chain, IRD is the
best 10 choice for Shimano drive trains for riders who want a snap
link AND use 11 tooth cogs to give them a high gear for compact rings.

A SRAM 9sp link, "Powerlink II" works fine with 10 sp chan and 11t
cogs.
Old January 21st 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

So, until SRAM finally comes out with a 10 speed chain, IRD is the
best 10 choice for Shimano drive trains for riders who want a snap
link AND use 11 tooth cogs to give them a high gear for compact rings.

A SRAM 9sp link, "Powerlink II" works fine with 10 sp chan and 11t
cogs.

I agree it "works" though the 9 speed Powerlink is clearly wider than
the 10 speed chain. I was actually surprised that the wide link
didn't skip when running through 10 speed cogs.

Still, it doesn't appear to be the optimal solution, which for my
money is a 10 speed chain with a 10 speed "quick" link that is
symmetrical and the same size as all the other links. Until SRAM
comes out with a 10 speed chain, the IRD chain and link fits the bill.
Old January 21st 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 09:43:56 -0500, Doug Taylor
wrote:

I agree it "works" though the 9 speed Powerlink is clearly wider than
the 10 speed chain. I was actually surprised that the wide link
didn't skip when running through 10 speed cogs.

I too was amazed when a friend told me he was using it with Shimano 10
chain and a full Campy 10 bike with an 11t cog. At the time, he was
having difficulty with the IRD link skipping on the 11t. I looked
carefully at the design and think that maybe the link sideplates can
move toward each other and result in a narrower profile.
Old January 22nd 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 19:21:53 GMT, Paul Kopit
wrote:

I too was amazed when a friend told me he was using it with Shimano 10
chain and a full Campy 10 bike with an 11t cog. At the time, he was
having difficulty with the IRD link skipping on the 11t. I looked
carefully at the design and think that maybe the link sideplates can
move toward each other and result in a narrower profile.

Even more amazing that the IRD snap link is made and sold by the
(only) company that makes an 11-28 cogset for 10 speed drive trains
and makes a chain to go with it, with the snap link.
Old January 23rd 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Paul Kopit wrote:
On 16 Jan 2006 20:52:04 -0800, "Joel" wrote:

4. Buy an IRD compact FD since I hace compact crankset, not sure if
this derailleur works with ST-7800 shifters?

Would not be my choice. The unit is for braze on mount only and
requires an adapter for any clamp on application. The spring or
leverage point of the unit makes it require more lever pressure to
move outward. If you still are interested, I'll sell you an almost
new one for $25 shipped.

Regular Campy 9 and 10 front derailleurs work fine with 50/34.

A Shimano 8sp DA is a great catch.

I've heard wonderful things about the FSA compact front derailleurs
but have no personal experience.

I don't know why your 7700 won't work fine.

Because shimano made the dimensions of the front derailleur and hence
the travel of the front derailleur different with 9s and 10s left
shifters. You can make it work but shimano just wears me out sometimes.