10 speed conversion pains

Old January 17th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default 10 speed conversion pains

Well I thought I finally was going to get my bike together tonight but
Shimano did it to me again.
I have upgraded shfters to Dura Ace ST-7800 10 speed, crankset to
FC-R700 compact, cassette to Ultegra 10 speed. Now I find the Dura Ace
FD-7700 front derailleur is not working with the new shifters. When I
shift to the big ring, the derailleur is not nearly far enough outward.
Shimano must have changed the throw of the derailleur when they went to
10 speed, how nice of them. When I look at the compatibilty chart on
Shimano's web site, sure enough the ST-7800 is not compatible with the
FD-7700. Now I have the following choices:

1. Put my old ST-7700 left shifter on and have mixed shifters (No I am
not doing this)

2. Buy an Ultegra FD-6600 for about $45.

3. Buy a Dura Ace FD-7800 on ebay (can't afford $100 retail price)

4. Buy an IRD compact FD since I hace compact crankset, not sure if
this derailleur works with ST-7800 shifters?

Please vote your favorite solution, I am leaning towards #3.

Thanks - Joel

Old January 17th 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Joel wrote:
[...]

If you do not know what is or the significance of the limit screws you
shouldn't be messing around with this.

Who installed your crank?

I could be that the chainline is slightly different, not to mention the
relative position of the derailleur to the large ring. Moving to a
compact crank you should have to lower the fd a bit.

Now, what are those limit screws for?

Robin (jerk) Hubert
Old January 17th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I adjusted the limit screws so they are not the issue.
I installed the crank myself.
I did lower the fd.
The problem is shifter / fd incompatibility.
The shifter does not pull the derailleur far enough out.

Joel

Old January 17th 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Joel wrote:
I adjusted the limit screws so they are not the issue.
I installed the crank myself.
I did lower the fd.
The problem is shifter / fd incompatibility.
The shifter does not pull the derailleur far enough out.

Joel

I don't think they are incompatible, I'm using a dura-ace 7410 front der
with all else being 7800 and it works fine. Wait before buying a new FD,
I guess you can adjust it to work.

Francesco
Old January 17th 06, 08:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Joel wrote:
I adjusted the limit screws so they are not the issue.
I installed the crank myself.
I did lower the fd.
The problem is shifter / fd incompatibility.
The shifter does not pull the derailleur far enough out.

Any slop in the cable when you are on the small ring? If so, adjust it
till there isn't any.

Old January 17th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Joel wrote:
[...]

First try to mount the inner wire underneath the FD fixing bolt but you
are correct, the 7800 FD isn't compatible with 7700 levers either, it
doesn't travel far enough.

Also with the 7700, make sure the chain is REALLY close to the inner
cage when on small rig and big cog and make sure the inner wire is
really tight, no slop at all. This may get it far enough out.

Old January 17th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Peter,

Ok, that does work. I have to admit its been awhile since I messed with
a front der.
I can see the cage on the 7700 der is wider than it needs to be.
I still need to take it for a test ride but I think it will do
temporarily.
I am still going to get a FD-7800 so everything is compatible.

On another note. When I put the 7800 chain together (using a Park CT-5)
the pin is almost flush with either side of the chain. This is a little
scary to me, hope the chain does not break apart. I am used to a little
bit of the pin going beyond the outer plates. Is there a better tool
for doing this?

Thanks - Joel

Old January 17th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Joel wrote:

On another note. When I put the 7800 chain together (using a Park
CT-5) the pin is almost flush with either side of the chain. This is
a little scary to me, hope the chain does not break apart. I am used
to a little bit of the pin going beyond the outer plates. Is there a
better tool for doing this?

Yes. A quick-link.

Bill "love Shimano (road) chains; hate their little pins" S.

Old January 17th 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Bill "love Shimano (road) chains; hate their little pins" S.

Darn Shimano making their road chains completely and utterly incompatible
with their mountain chains!!!
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old January 17th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:05:12 -0500, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
wrote:

Bill "love Shimano (road) chains; hate their little pins" S.

Darn Shimano making their road chains completely and utterly incompatible
with their mountain chains!!!

And the chain knows what it's on? (I prefer to rant "When will
Shimano get into the 20th Century and put out a snaplink?")
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.