Ergo autoshift

Old January 18th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Ergo autoshift

Hello,

I have a set of the early "pointy-style" 8-speed Ergo power
levers, I think they're Chorus. When I'm in my lowest gear.
I've always had a problem with the rear derailleur shifting if I
squeeze the hood in a certain spot on the underside in the
middle.

Recently the problem has gotten worse. As part of a fairly
recent drive train tune-up, l changed my cables and for the 2nd
or 3rd time my G-springs. I'm also riding my bike more, so it's
possible that I'm noticing the problem more because of that.

I'm thinking about trying to take the levers back off the bike
and tightening down the left-hand bolt a little more. Besides
getting new levers, does anyone know how to fix or at least
alleviate this?

-Eric

--
Miss Baby was alright until me and Junior turned her head around.
Old January 19th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Wreckless Eric" wrote in message
I have a set of the early "pointy-style" 8-speed Ergo power
levers, I think they're Chorus. When I'm in my lowest gear.
I've always had a problem with the rear derailleur shifting if I
squeeze the hood in a certain spot on the underside in the
middle.

Recently the problem has gotten worse. As part of a fairly
recent drive train tune-up, l changed my cables and for the 2nd
or 3rd time my G-springs. I'm also riding my bike more, so it's
possible that I'm noticing the problem more because of that.

I'm thinking about trying to take the levers back off the bike
and tightening down the left-hand bolt a little more. Besides
getting new levers, does anyone know how to fix or at least
alleviate this?

Yes, besides G springs, you should consider the G Spring carrier, as well as
possibly the ratchet.

Directions he
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo4.html
he
http://www.velonews.com/tech/rev/levers.html
and he
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo_ps.pdf

If you've replaced G Springs before, you are probably familiar with these.

Or consider shipping the thing to r.b.t's Campy expert, Peter Chisholm at
Vecchios in Boulder (www.vecchios.com). He'll likely be able to figure
exactly what needs replacing, and quote you a reasonable price to do it. He
will also probably respond here and tell you what he thinks needs replacing.

There are probably other shops that do ergo rebuilds, Peter's is the one
that comes to mind first, and you've got to give him *some* business for all
the free information he dispenses here.

John Verheul

Old January 19th 06, 06:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

John Verheul wrote:
[...]

i second the recommendation to look at the g-spring carrier. i had a
breakage recently and shifting became very vague with auto-shift similar
to your description. google this group to see if the pic of my broken
carrier is still around.
Old January 19th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

John Verheul wrote:
[...]

Well it 'may' be the spring carrier but that would seem like a broken
spring and the pointy 8s levers didn't have the EC-RE-111, and it's
associated breakage.

If the lever shifts when you squeeze it, I suspect a broken body-Send
it to me to check and I have new bodies for pointy top ERGO.

Old January 19th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"jim beam" wrote:

i second the recommendation to look at the g-spring carrier. i
had breakage recently and shifting became very vague with
auto-shift similar to your description. google this group to see
if the pic of my broken carrier is still around.

He

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/d...hift_mech.jpeg

James Thomson

Old January 19th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

John Verheul

i second the recommendation to look at the g-spring carrier. i had a
breakage recently and shifting became very vague with auto-shift similar
to your description. google this group to see if the pic of my broken
carrier is still around.

EC-RE-111 in the photo. Pointy top ERGO was EC-RE-011.no post and not
much breakage.

Old January 24th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hello,

I've figured out what my problem was, my cable was too tight. The cable
wasn't tight enough to mess up the indexing, but there was a lot of
tension on the cable in low gear. When I'd squeeze the lever it would
flex enough to pop out of gear. I reduced the cable tension while
riding on a climb and the problem went away.

-Eric