Buying a bike, what would you do?

Old January 22nd 06, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Buying a bike, what would you do?

I'm thinking of buying a decent touring bike, mainly for onroad
commuting and 20-30 mile jaunts at the weekend. I've got three
options for buying it and I'm undecided as to which way is best.

1. My LBS (half a nile away) is a dealer but not a stockist. They'll
only get the bike in that I want if I'll definitely buy it. They'll
also only charge me RRP.

2. A more distant LBS (10-12 miles away) is a stockist and will let me
try the bike out before decided to buy but will charge me RRP. They
are a proper bike shop though with competent service facilities,
they're just a pain to get to (especially with a broken bike).

3. Buy over the net/by mail order saving 200-250 on RRP by buying last
year's model.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
Old January 22nd 06, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Chris Eilbeck" wrote in message
I'm thinking of buying a decent touring bike, mainly for onroad
commuting and 20-30 mile jaunts at the weekend. I've got three
options for buying it and I'm undecided as to which way is best.

1. My LBS (half a nile away) is a dealer but not a stockist. They'll
only get the bike in that I want if I'll definitely buy it. They'll
also only charge me RRP.

2. A more distant LBS (10-12 miles away) is a stockist and will let me
try the bike out before decided to buy but will charge me RRP. They
are a proper bike shop though with competent service facilities,
they're just a pain to get to (especially with a broken bike).

3. Buy over the net/by mail order saving 200-250 on RRP by buying last
year's model.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

Unless I was going for a custom build, and if I knew what size bike I was
after, I'd buy online and have servicing/parts etc., from the LBS which
gives best service.

Cheers, helen s

Old January 22nd 06, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

1. My LBS (half a nile away) is a dealer but not a stockist. They'll
only get the bike in that I want if I'll definitely buy it. They'll
also only charge me RRP.

So like option 3, but charging you 200-250 more. Er, no :-)

2. A more distant LBS (10-12 miles away) is a stockist and will let me
try the bike out before decided to buy but will charge me RRP. They
are a proper bike shop though with competent service facilities,
they're just a pain to get to (especially with a broken bike).

It's only an hour away if you can get your bike working. They'll give you
a bit of a discount on RRP whatever they say - try and haggle for
lock/lights/panniers etc chucked in. On the down side they'll still not be
cheap, and they're a bit far away for servicing etc.

3. Buy over the net/by mail order saving 200-250 on RRP by buying last
year's model.

This is good if you know what you want. As your LBS is not a stockist
they'd probably be perfectly happy sevicing it etc when it comes round to
it. Also gives you way more choice. I'd plump for this one.
Old January 22nd 06, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Chris Eilbeck wrote:
I'm thinking of buying a decent touring bike, mainly for onroad
commuting and 20-30 mile jaunts at the weekend. I've got three
options for buying it and I'm undecided as to which way is best.

1. My LBS (half a nile away) is a dealer but not a stockist. They'll
only get the bike in that I want if I'll definitely buy it. They'll
also only charge me RRP.

2. A more distant LBS (10-12 miles away) is a stockist and will let me
try the bike out before decided to buy but will charge me RRP. They
are a proper bike shop though with competent service facilities,
they're just a pain to get to (especially with a broken bike).

3. Buy over the net/by mail order saving 200-250 on RRP by buying last
year's model.

Chris

It sounds like 1) doesn't want your business and what sort of service
will they give once they've sold you the bike in that case. 2) is
preferred because you need to ride a bike to know whether it fits you
really but if you know what you want then 3) sounds like the best option.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old January 22nd 06, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Chris Eilbeck wrote:

3. Buy over the net/by mail order saving 200-250 on RRP by buying last
year's model.

You can save up to 250 pounds and you're undecided? I take it you're
not a fellow Scot then ;-)

--
Brian G
Old January 22nd 06, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Brian G writes:

Chris Eilbeck wrote:

3. Buy over the net/by mail order saving 200-250 on RRP by buying
last year's model.

You can save up to 250 pounds and you're undecided? I take it
you're not a fellow Scot then ;-)

I've got x pounds to spend on toys, this is all I can think of that I
really want right now.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/
Old January 22nd 06, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

I bought mine (Dawes Galaxy) at a discount price from an internet ad -
but went to fetch it myself. If you get a big enough discount it could
be worth half a day to fetch it but try it out for size first.

cheers

Jacob

Old January 22nd 06, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

LBS, every time, for me.

Unfortunately its a case of use it or lose it, and bike shops are getting
thin on the ground.

(NB I see Halfords as being more like a supermarket, and thus don't fit into
this category, Despite knowing a couple of branches where the some of
mechanics really do care.)
..

Old January 23rd 06, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

R. Murphy wrote:

(NB I see Halfords as being more like a supermarket, and thus don't
fit into this category, Despite knowing a couple of branches where
the some of mechanics really do care.)

While on holiday over the new year, I noted with interest that Halfords
still have a really strong high street presence in, wait for it, Belgium --
a heartland of cycling! The stock levels and bikes were of a high standard
too. The city bikes were particularly good value: hub gears, dynamos,
carriers, panniers, alloy frames -- the lot -- for about 350 euros! If only
they were like that over here.

The Ugly Bike [email protected] General 4 October 17th 05 02:43 PM
Windosr Tourist Bike Revisiited Earl Bollinger General 16 February 13th 05 08:04 PM
Some questions etc.. Douglas Harrington General 10 August 17th 04 02:42 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
I'm thinking of buying a bike. Erdefen UK 11 July 25th 03 06:52 PM