Touring some Alps

Old October 17th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Touring some Alps

Tim McNamara writes:

wash them, dry them with your hotel towel, finish it with the
hairdryer or take them in bed.

... best under the pillow.

I'm not sure the towel method is understood. Wring the wash out as
well as possible and then roll it up in a towel and wring again.

I find wearing socks and underwear to bed after dinner a convenient
drier after the towel wring if it is not warm and summer like weather.
You'll be surprised how soon they are up to body temperature under the
covers and how quickly they dry.

Yes, that's the drill. Wash them in the sink, wring them dry
inside the towel and they'll dry over night in the summer.

Mostly true but not guaranteed, however. When you take off again
in the morning you can expose the wear that is still damp on top of
your bags or backpack. Or even pin them to the cable housing, if
still using external routing, as I do.

I'd rather be prepared for some rain than hang out laundry,

Like Sergio, I found that my cycling shorts did not dry out
overnight in the Alps. But putting them in the sun for an hour
while I ate breakfast and got ready to go solved that. I only
washed the pair of shorts I'd worn that day each night, so that no
matter what I had a dry pair to wear the next day.

Let's not get into washing fetishes.

Jobst Brandt

Alps touring advice Lee Coomber UK 4 March 10th 06 08:16 AM
FS: Trek 720 touring rig 25" frame Unrevealed Source Marketplace 1 September 30th 05 12:40 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM