Question Regarding Cateye Mity 8 Computer

Old August 6th 05, 11:20 PM
question man

Default Question Regarding Cateye Mity 8 Computer

All -

Regarding the Cateye Mity 8 computer: the computer is capable of
measuring two wheel sizes. According to the documentation, wheel size
'B' is programmed for slow speeds.

Does anybody know what this means? [1]
Is there a speed above which the unit will give erroneous results?

Cateye suggests that wheel size 'B' be used for a mountain bike. Many
times I have ridden a mountain bike down a steep paved road, & have
gone pretty fast.

Thanks!

Phil

[1] This being the weekend, I doubt that anybody is supporting
technical information.
Old August 7th 05, 03:06 AM
jim beam

question man wrote:
All -

Regarding the Cateye Mity 8 computer: the computer is capable of
measuring two wheel sizes. According to the documentation, wheel size
'B' is programmed for slow speeds.

Does anybody know what this means? [1]
Is there a speed above which the unit will give erroneous results?

Cateye suggests that wheel size 'B' be used for a mountain bike. Many
times I have ridden a mountain bike down a steep paved road, & have
gone pretty fast.

Thanks!

Phil

[1] This being the weekend, I doubt that anybody is supporting
technical information.

the computer just measures input pulse rate from the magnet and
calculates output data based on the size of the wheel you tell it you're
using. it has no idea what size the wheel really is or the nature of
the bike. any more than that [max speed for instance], i'd have to
refer to the manual, but you can do that easier since you apparently
already have it to hand.

Old August 7th 05, 01:18 PM
richard

I think someone muffed the translation. Anyway, I believe the
pre-programming was for "A" to be 700c wheels and "B" to be mountain
bike tires. It really doesn't matter. Since I messed up once, I've set
both "sizes" to be the same.

Old August 7th 05, 06:04 PM
Llatikcuf

richard wrote:
I think someone muffed the translation. Anyway, I believe the
pre-programming was for "A" to be 700c wheels and "B" to be mountain
bike tires. It really doesn't matter. Since I messed up once, I've set
both "sizes" to be the same.

same here, set both sizes to the same and don't worry about it.

-n
Old August 9th 05, 01:29 AM
Pete Biggs

question man wrote:
All -

Regarding the Cateye Mity 8 computer: the computer is capable of
measuring two wheel sizes. According to the documentation, wheel size
'B' is programmed for slow speeds.

Does anybody know what this means? [1]
Is there a speed above which the unit will give erroneous results?

No, it's just that things get erroneous when moving extremely slowly.

In 'A' mode, the computer display a zero speed reading until you are going
faster than about 2.5 mph, whereas 'B' gives readings down to about 1 mph.

~PB

Old August 18th 05, 03:48 PM
David Damerell

Quoting Pete Biggs :
question man wrote:
Regarding the Cateye Mity 8 computer: the computer is capable of
measuring two wheel sizes. According to the documentation, wheel size
'B' is programmed for slow speeds.
Does anybody know what this means? [1]
Is there a speed above which the unit will give erroneous results?

No, it's just that things get erroneous when moving extremely slowly.

Also the computer reads differently at high speeds. Above 40mph there is
only a 5mph resolution - at least on the Mity 3, which I believe is
essentially identical apart from keypress ordering.
--
David Damerell flcl?
Today is Oneiros, August.