Scott CR1: Smart Light or Stupid Light

Old August 15th 05, 05:35 AM
PanFan

Default Scott CR1: Smart Light or Stupid Light

Scott's CR1 carbon frames pretty much stand alone as the lightest
production frames available at around 850 grams (under 1.9 pounds). I was
curious what the opinions are -- is this frame a quantum leap in durable
frame design ("smart light"), or is it a racing frame with a limited
lifespan ("stupid light")?
Old August 15th 05, 10:59 AM
Ron Ruff

PanFan wrote:
Scott's CR1 carbon frames pretty much stand alone as the lightest
production frames available at around 850 grams (under 1.9 pounds). I was
curious what the opinions are -- is this frame a quantum leap in durable
frame design ("smart light"), or is it a racing frame with a limited
lifespan ("stupid light")?

It doesn't look that stupid according to this test:
http://www.efbe.de/erenn.htm

I wouldn't call it a "quantum leap" though... other frames are pretty
close in weight and strength, and more are on the way. The more
important issue (regarding smartness) is what you would hope to gain
with such a frame, and if the considerable cost is worth it to you.

Old August 15th 05, 03:57 PM
john hood

In article ,
PanFan wrote:
Scott's CR1 carbon frames pretty much stand alone as the lightest
production frames available at around 850 grams (under 1.9 pounds). I was
curious what the opinions are -- is this frame a quantum leap in durable
frame design ("smart light"), or is it a racing frame with a limited
lifespan ("stupid light")?

I can't speak to structural issues, but there are some compromises:
the derailleur hanger is not replaceable, and at least some of the
frame fittings are riveted on, with rather small rivets. The fork has
an annoying flange and tight spacing on it that makes it impossible to
use some internal-cam skewers unless the handle points down or
forward, but that seems a stylistic compromise, not an engineering
one.

--jh

--
Mr. Belliveau said, "the difference was the wise, John Hood, cgull
intelligent look on the face of the cow." He was +usenet@
Old August 15th 05, 07:57 PM

I recently built up a CR1 in 56cm size. Mine weighed in at 910 grms with
cable guide, spec at 895 gms. Is it too light? I don't think I will break it
because I don't put in the distance or stress that a stronger more serious
rider might do. I do feel that the frame is more delicate than my other bike
a 1996 Trek 5500. The tubes are much thinner especially the seat tube where
the clamp goes. It you torque to much I feel that it could break. Also in a
crash I would think that the tubes can fracture whereas other bikes may
survive.

That said, it rides great, lighter and stiffer than my 5500. With this frame
it is easy to get a UCI illegal bike weight with clincher tires that is can
be a daily rider and durable,

cel

Old August 15th 05, 09:30 PM
Derk

PanFan wrote:

Scott's CR1 carbon frames pretty much stand alone as the lightest
production frames available at around 850 grams (under 1.9 pounds). I was
curious what the opinions are -- is this frame a quantum leap in durable
frame design ("smart light"), or is it a racing frame with a limited
lifespan ("stupid light")?

I heard at the LBS that they had a CR1 with a sticker on it that read:
"read manual B4 you ride". At the LBS they pulled the sticker off very
carefully and all the paint came off. And so they made it lighter yet!

Greets, Derk

Old August 16th 05, 12:48 AM
Baird Webel

PanFan wrote:
Scott's CR1 carbon frames pretty much stand alone as the lightest
production frames available at around 850 grams (under 1.9 pounds). I was
curious what the opinions are -- is this frame a quantum leap in durable
frame design ("smart light"), or is it a racing frame with a limited
lifespan ("stupid light")?

I have not seen the best of luck with them. Of 7 or so people I know
with them, 3 or 4 have had the BB shells come loose and require
replacement frames. Another cracked a seatstay when the bike fell over
and hit a curb, and another crashed the frame in a race. This last one
was pilot error, but it came with a 4 figure pricetag. I wouldn't call
the frame "stupid light" but it is a very lightweight race frame. Since
the pros who they build them for get a new bike every year or sooner,
why would you expect them to be durable? If they are built to be
durable, they are actually not building them light enough.

I don't think I'd shell out the money for one.

Baird
Old August 16th 05, 01:41 AM
lewdvig

PanFan wrote:
Scott's CR1 carbon frames pretty much stand alone as the lightest
production frames available at around 850 grams (under 1.9 pounds). I was
curious what the opinions are -- is this frame a quantum leap in durable
frame design ("smart light"), or is it a racing frame with a limited
lifespan ("stupid light")?

Litespeed has a 770 gm Ti frame coming out Sept 1.

Talk about a race to zero!

Let people have their light bikes - I still have about 30 lbs to go my
own frame/body before I need a lighter bike. :^)
Old August 16th 05, 05:54 AM
PanFan

Baird Webel wrote in

one was pilot error, but it came with a 4 figure pricetag. I wouldn't
call the frame "stupid light" but it is a very lightweight race frame.
Since the pros who they build them for get a new bike every year or
sooner, why would you expect them to be durable? If they are built to
be durable, they are actually not building them light enough.

You make a good point about expectations about durability -- but look at
the lineup of CR-1 bikes. The top of the line Limited is a racing bike, no
doubt. But on the same CR-1 frame Scott also sells the Pro Ultegra, with
your choice of double or triple chainrings mated to Ksyrium wheels. This
combo is clearly marketed to appeal to middle-aged Freds with disposable
incomes, not racing teams. And so if Scott markets to recreational masters
riders, I would expect enough frame durability to handle the stresses of
recreational riding and the extra 10, 15, 20 pounds of Master Fattie paunch
that goes with it.
Old August 16th 05, 02:04 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

lewdvig wrote:
PanFan wrote:
Scott's CR1 carbon frames pretty much stand alone as the lightest
production frames available at around 850 grams (under 1.9 pounds). I was
curious what the opinions are -- is this frame a quantum leap in durable
frame design ("smart light"), or is it a racing frame with a limited
lifespan ("stupid light")?

Litespeed has a 770 gm Ti frame coming out Sept 1.

Talk about a race to zero!

Let people have their light bikes - I still have about 30 lbs to go my
own frame/body before I need a lighter bike. :^)

Had a gent that bought a Ghasalo(sp?) on ebay. Was surprised that it
arrived with a front der clamped on. Upon removal of the front
der----seat tube crushed, with the fd clamp...

Old August 17th 05, 07:09 PM
Booker C. Bense