Thatcher dementia fight revealed

Old August 25th 08, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sir Jeremy

Default Thatcher dementia fight revealed

On 24 Aug, 23:48, wrote:
On 24 Aug, *
* * *"Adam Lea" wrote:

I don't doubt she did some undesirable things, but didn't she manage to
stop the decline the UK was experiencing in the late 70's?

No, in the words of a former conservative prime minister, she sold the family
silver.

She also hastened the decline and loss of independence of the country,
something we're about to discover in a big way.

--
* BD
* Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Gordon Brown sold the family gold, when the gold price was really low
Old August 25th 08, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Grange

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:44:08 +0100, wrote:

On 25 Aug,
killermike wrote:

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 07:35:30 +0100, killermike
said in :

Some of her policies were hard on communities in the North.
However, she modernised British industry.

Modernised in the sense of shut down.

You're saying that there are less jobs now than there used to be?

More jobs in service industries only, which is unsustainable.

Have you been to China? Have you seen the wages people get there for
manufacturing? Manufacturing jobs weren't sustainable here at the
salaries we were paying ourselves.
Old August 25th 08, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian Robertson[_5_]

wrote in message ...
On 25 Aug,
David Hansen wrote:

Assuming truthful speaking, what such comparisons demonstrate is a
complete lack of knowledge about the complex opinions of Mr
Churchill. He was rather left leaning in many ways and was one of
the few Prime Ministers to have been a member of a manual workers
trade union, both of which Thatcherites would probably not like if
they knew about.

He also changed allegiance between Lioberal and Conservative at least
once.

--
BD
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Conservatives only ever do anything good by accident. Unfortunately, it
seems to me, Labour people only ever do bad deliberately.

Brian.

Old August 25th 08, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sir Jeremy

On 25 Aug, 07:35, killermike wrote:
Adam Lea wrote:

I was at primary school during her reign so can't really remember much about

So was I. Some of her policies were hard on communities in the North.
However, she modernised British industry. The economic decline started
when she took office and Britain was booming by the time she left. No
subsequent government has reversed any of her major policies. Communism,
coal mines, ridiculously over powerful unions--I've never had any
interest in any of them and she was opposed to all of them.

She is, rightly, a controversial figure but all of this "worse than
Hindley" stuff is nonsense. And the "there's no such thing as society"
comment is typically taken out of context.

--http://www.unmusic.co.ukMichael Reed -- technology, gender, and geek
culture freelance writer

I didn't vote for her, but on reflection she'll go down as one of the
great Prime Ministers. I don't think she should have a state funeral
though, partly because she is still such a divisive figure and partly
because she isn't as "great" as Churchill or Wellington who deserved
their state funerals for saving the country when we were really up
against it.

Its pretty tasteless to mock someone who is suffering from dementia,
anyone with a loved one so afflicted would be rightly disgusted by
such sentiments
Old August 25th 08, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:57:03 -0700 (PDT), Sir Jeremy
said in
:

I didn't vote for her, but on reflection she'll go down as one of the
great Prime Ministers

^^^^

ITYM "grate" - she certainly grated on me.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old August 26th 08, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

gregg wrote:

Now where's that nice Dr Shipman when he's needed.

"Margret Thatcher's grave will be a urinal
for all right thinking people"

- Jeremy Hardy

BugBear
Old August 26th 08, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:28:39 +0100, killermike
said in :

Some of her policies were hard on communities in the North.
However, she modernised British industry.
Modernised in the sense of shut down.

You're saying that there are less jobs now than there used to be?

Britain's industry was decimated under Thatcher.

Decimated? As in record increases in the output of our production
industries?

1981 to 1989 saw an increase in production of 24.5% - an average of 3%
per year. Thatcher was PM from 1979 until 1990.

Following a levelling-off between 1990 and 1993 when it briefly dropped
by 3.3%, then grew back by 2.6%, it grew again between 1993 and 2000 by
14.8% to an all-time high, at an average of about 2.1% per year. Major
was PM from 1990 until 1997.

From 2000 to 2007 it dropped by 5%. By 2007 it was back to the same
level that it was at in 1996.

--
Matt B
Old August 27th 08, 01:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spokes[_2_]

"Margret Thatcher's grave will be a urinal
for all right thinking people"

- Jeremy Hardy

BugBear

As Lord Byron put it on the death of an equally endearing statesman...

Posterity will ne'er survey
A nobler grave than this:
Here lie the bones of Castlereagh:
Stop, traveller, and ****.

Old August 27th 08, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rudi[_2_]

On 24 Aug, 18:03, Squashme wrote:

Indeed, Tony Blair continued her project in some ways.

is that the Blair Witch Project?

Rudi

Old August 27th 08, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony B[_3_]

Squashme wrote:

Indeed, Tony Blair continued her project in some ways.

but in a more right wing way, natch... Gordon seems to be mining the
same Stalinist vein as well:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...berties.labour

would even Thatcher have made such outrageous plans? Although obviously
she was happy to use the security services of the day against the "enemy
within".

BTW re. Thatcher's economic miracle, let's not forget it was founded on
unemployment of 3.5 million (even after rigging, the true figure could
have been 5 million), selling off the family silver, squandering the
North Sea windfall and generally taking us down the Greed is Good, ****
you Jack route that has got us where we are today.

Her funeral should surely be a State Occasion of some importance, but
more a celebration than anything else. I for one will be celebrating
come the big day. What chance a cover version of "Ding Dong, The Witch
Is Dead" at number 1 following her departure?

Fatty Masters - Time for Your Annual Dementia Test Phil Holman Racing 1 December 1st 07 01:54 AM
31 names revealed Bill Callas Racing 1 June 30th 06 01:17 AM
Bicycle revealed BR Mountain Biking 1 June 18th 05 12:45 AM
Crit Pro Revealed bob bikeracer Racing 3 October 12th 04 03:34 AM