Helmet Nazis at It Again!

Old October 7th 06, 09:40 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.general
Bill Sornson

Default Helmet Nazis at It Again!

Bill Z. wrote:
writes:

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 23:34:45 GMT,
(Bill Z.)
wrote:

(Tom Keats) writes:

In article ,
SMS writes:
I'll leave it to readers to decide whether Keats is a
bald-faced liar or merely delusional.
Please try not to run over any cyclists (helmeted or not)
while you're out driving your stoopid car.

I guess I'll vote for delusional. The sooner this guy gets some
meds, the better.

Yet you still respond to him, instead of kill-filing him as most
of us have done.

You helmet zealots are too much.
But then, you car worshippers are too much, too.
Especially when you demand that we cyclists wear
helmets for /your/ car-driving comfort.

Liar - neither of us demanded that anyone wear a helmet,

There are more than two pro-helmet zealots posting on these
newsgroups.

Keats was responding to posts from Steven Sharf and me, neither of
which are "pro-helmet zealots" as neither of us has demanded that
others
wear helmets. I don't recall anyone else demanding that either.

And some of them have posted that they are perfectly happy with MHL's
- as long as they apply to other people.

Are you really that stupid? Someone simply posted a wisecrack
suggesting that a particularly obnoxious poster, and no one else, be
required to wear a helmet. It was obviously meant as a joke.

Flailor, being one, doesn't /get/ jokes.

HTH

Old October 7th 06, 11:01 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.general
Bill Z.

writes:

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 19:27:53 GMT,
(Bill Z.)
wrote:

writes:

So what? A perfectly valid reason to use a helmet is to reduce
the time spend recovering from non-fatal head injuries, or (if you
are lucky) to avoid a head injury.

And by doing so one increases both the perception that cycling is
dangerous (false) and that probability that politicians will introduce
an MHL (true), both of which will reduce cycling, with concommittant
increases in public health costs; your vaunted validiity vanishes.

Thus proving that *you* are the true zealot, objecting to people
*voluntarily* choosing to use a helmet for whatever reason. You
simply don't have to believe that cycling is "dangerous" to decide to
wear a helmet. You may simply value your time so much that you don't
want to risk any additional unnecessary "down time" due to a head
injury. You know, you are cross training for another activity far
more important to you, and down time due to a cycling injury would
be rather counterproductive.

Your own "reasoning" would suggest that wearing helmets in a
construction zone (as construction workers sometimes must do)
discourages people from entering that line of work. Do you think
anyone believes that?

Oh, and I might add that I know one cyclist who uses a bicycle helmet
while driving her car. No, she does not think driving is that
dangerous. It is simply a very old car with a large bolt where the
shoulder harness is attached and she didn't want to bang her head on
it. Her use of a helmet has not discouraged driving.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB