Road Tires.

Old March 3rd 06, 06:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Road Tires.

Hi all I've posted here before .Thanks for the Help.What I need is a new set
of Road tires.
I live in Northwest Ind.Roads are fair and I don't compete just like to
ride.Looking for a replace ment for a set of .Michelin carbons a few years
old.
Looking for best bang for the buck .
I don't put a {lot } of road miles on bike.
Thanks .
PS hoping for a pair for under 45$
thanks.

--
J/O TrailBlazer At Large!!

Old March 3rd 06, 07:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article _VQNf.6312$FE2.2389@trnddc01,
wrote:

Hi all I've posted here before .Thanks for the Help.What I need is a new set
of Road tires.
I live in Northwest Ind.Roads are fair and I don't compete just like to
ride.Looking for a replace ment for a set of .Michelin carbons a few years
old.
Looking for best bang for the buck .
I don't put a {lot } of road miles on bike.
Thanks .
PS hoping for a pair for under 45$
thanks.

Get the Michelins if you like them. They gave good wear so
far. I like the Avocet Fasgrip 630x25 because they have a
perfectly slick tread, grip well, and ride well. Cannot
get the pair for under $45. Many people like Panracer.

--
Michael Press
Old March 3rd 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

trailblazer wrote:

What I need is a new set of Road tires. I live in Northwest Ind. Roads are fair and I don't compete just like to ride. Looking for a replace ment for a set of Michelin carbons a few years old.

The first thing you have to decide is what width tire you want. For
your kind of riding, 700x25 makes a lot of sense. I think the Michelin
Carbons only come in 700x23.

Looking for best bang for the buck .

My vote for best bang for the buck is the IRC Road II Winner Duro.
These are labelled 700x28, but actually measure 25mm. Rated 115psi and
weigh 275g. Usually on sale for about $13. I've been using them for a
few years and like them a lot. See:
http://tinyurl.com/gjlg8

Art Harris

Old March 3rd 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I like the Carbons, and in 25mm size they're very comfy. Nevertheless
they are expensive. A better deal is the Michelin Dynamic. From a
ride point of view, they feel just like the Carbons. But they cost
only $14 or so each. They are wire bead, so a bit heavier, but in the
25mm size, they are very nice.

Old March 3rd 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Andy M-S wrote:
I like the Carbons, and in 25mm size they're very comfy. Nevertheless
they are expensive. A better deal is the Michelin Dynamic. From a
ride point of view, they feel just like the Carbons. But they cost
only $14 or so each. They are wire bead, so a bit heavier, but in the
25mm size, they are very nice.

Are you saying this cheapo tire with 33TPI casing rides as well as a
flexible 127TPI tire?

Robin Hubert
Old March 3rd 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 3 Mar 2006 05:36:44 -0800, "Art Harris" wrote:

trailblazer wrote:

What I need is a new set of Road tires. I live in Northwest Ind. Roads are fair and I don't compete just like to ride. Looking for a replace ment for a set of Michelin carbons a few years old.

The first thing you have to decide is what width tire you want. For
your kind of riding, 700x25 makes a lot of sense. I think the Michelin
Carbons only come in 700x23.

Looking for best bang for the buck .

My vote for best bang for the buck is the IRC Road II Winner Duro.
These are labelled 700x28, but actually measure 25mm. Rated 115psi and
weigh 275g. Usually on sale for about $13. I've been using them for a
few years and like them a lot. See:
http://tinyurl.com/gjlg8

Art Harris

My experience with The IRC Road II Winner Duro is failed steel beads
and rubber pulling away from the casing on tires that have only been
mounted a month.
I have bought these IRC tires for the last 6 years from Nashbar and
the last batch I bought just fell apart. Not to mention they were
lumpy and out of round when mounted. I am throwing what's left out
into the trash.

I bought a batch of Flash Hutchinsons from Nashbar for $4.99 apiece
and they are working out much better.

Old March 3rd 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Well...close. It's not quite as nice. And it is a lot heavier. But
for most road riding, and for most non racing, I don't think that I
could tell the difference. Maybe you could, but I can't.

Remember that the O. P. was looking for a cheap solution.

Old March 3rd 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Fritz wrote:

My experience with The IRC Road II Winner Duro is failed steel beads and rubber pulling away from the casing on tires that have only been mounted a month.

I have bought these IRC tires for the last 6 years from Nashbar and the last batch I bought just fell apart. Not to mention they were lumpy and out of round when mounted.

Sounds like a bad batch if the previous tires didn't exhibit those
problems. I've bought them from Nashbar and never had a problem. I
usually get better than 3,000 miles from a rear tire and more than that
on the front. Avocet tires are made by IRC, and I've heard some bad
reports on the new black-sidewall, made-in-Korea versions.

Art Harris