Sealed Bearing problem in 501 hub ...

Old November 6th 06, 06:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Gillies

Default Sealed Bearing problem in 501 hub ...

I replaced the sealed bearings on the 501 hub. The grittiness in the
worn bearings is now gone. One bearing is a Phil Wood, one is an
original SKF from MAVIC. But, the strange problem still occurs, viz:

- when there is NOTHING on the hub (no freewheel), it spins smoothly.

- when a freewheel is installed, and the wheel is spun by hand
(freewheel spinng with the hub : not a freewheel problem, it happens
with several brands of freewheels), and/or when the wheel is ridden
down the road, there is a "bearing pop" feeling every turn of the
wheel - but only on the LEFT side of the wheel (i.e. when the weight
of the wheel is tilted so that the LEFT bearing takes most of the
weight.

When riding down the road, you can feel a clicking coming through the
drivetrain - at the pedals.

What could be causing this problem? I looked at Barnett's Manual and
they suggested that perhaps a loose bearing could be the cause. Both
bearings seemed exceedingly tight when they were press-fit into the
hub. I could only press them in by about 1/4 of a bearing width by
hand - after that, pressing tools were needed.

Any ideas?

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Old November 6th 06, 06:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 5 Nov 2006 22:45:33 -0800, (Donald Gillies)
wrote:

[...]

Dear Don,

The bearings are two different brands.

If it's possible and not too much trouble, what about removing and
swapping the bearings?

If the clicking follows the bearing to the other side, get a new
bearing.

If the clicking stays on the same side, the bearings aren't the
problem.

If the clicking goes away, you've gotten the bearings inserted
correctly.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 6th 06, 07:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Gillies

Ok, i failed to mention that I originally tried installing Phil Wood
bearings on both sides. The clicking still happened. After
exhausting my supply of unused Phil Wood bearings (I don't want to say
how many i wasted), I assumed I was lousy at installing bearings, so I
took the hub to the LBS and they put in one SKF bearing. The problem
still persisted.

So, to make a long story short, thanx for the suggestion but I've
already tried installing a fresh pair of matched bearings on both
sides - the problem does not go away.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA, USA
Old November 6th 06, 11:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dabac

Donald Gillies Wrote:
...when the wheel is ridden
down the road, there is a "bearing pop" feeling every turn of the
wheel ....When riding down the road, you can feel a clicking coming
through the drivetrain - at the pedals.

You've switched bearings - problem remains. You've switched freewheel -
problem remains.

If you can feel it through the drivetrain maybe it originates in the
drivetrain and not in the wheel. Check if freq matches cadence or wheel
rotations.

Is it the same coasting or pedalling?

Cracked frames can act funny - pedalling will stress one way - coasting
another. Try flexing the frame (all of it), see if there is any
unexpected movement somewhere.

--
dabac

Old November 6th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Gillies

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" writes:

Rim/tire??

This is a good suggestion, I will look at this, thanx peter.

When the wheel is spun _by hand_, _in my hand_, I can feel a popping
feeling. When the wheel is installed on the bike and ridden down the
road, popping is directly proportional to speed (and not proportional
to pedaling). Replacing the rear wheel with a different wheel solves
the problem. So the problem is definitely _somewhere_ in the rear
wheel.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old November 6th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Gillies

Can someone tell me what will go wrong if an aluminum axle is bent on
a sealed bearing hub ?? What is the symptom?

Can someone tell me what will happen if the hub shell is somehow not
completely square (i.e. if one of the bearings is not parallel to the
other one) ?? As far as I am aware, this hub never worked properly.

Can someone tell me how "loose" a wheel bearing must be in the shell
in order to shift when it is spun, with a mild load (i.e. 1 lbs
freewheel) on the wheel?

Thanx,

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old November 6th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Donald Gillies wrote:
[...]

Long shot, but it might be the freewheel rocking on its pawls.