Bicycle Shortage Continues

Old December 21st 20, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Bicycle Shortage Continues

On Monday, December 21, 2020 at 12:27:33 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, December 21, 2020 at 10:16:39 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/21/2020 9:07 AM, sms wrote:
On 12/21/2020 6:34 AM, AMuzi wrote:

https://theloadstar.com/one-apus-sta...d-to-top-200m/

Having once lost two containers of bicycles on a ship
which sank, I know that the British Marine Insurance will
cover losses but one might grow old waiting on that
lengthy formal process. Meanwhile, it's a year of no
cash and no product...

In _Bicycle Retailer_ they said that the bike boom in the
U.S., caused by the pandemic, has enabled bicycle shops to
get out of debt and many owners decided that it was a good
time to retire.

"This year's bike boom left many retailers with empty
shelves, bulging bank accounts, and greatly reduced debt. It
also left many exhausted. More than a few have decided this
was the perfect time to get out of the retail grind, one way
or another."
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/retail-news/2020/12/17/covid-19-exit-ramp.

I guess that one positive aspect of Trumps horrible
mismanagement of the Covid-19 pandemic is that it helped
lengthen the bike boom, but the factories have been slow to
respond. I've had some tubes on order for four months now
and the manufacturer continues to show "out." I was fixing
up one bicycle I received and needed some rim strips and it
took four months to receive them. Now I have some 25 meter
rolls of Schwalbe rim tape which should hold me for a while.

While it's theoretically true that the President may have
done a much better job by preventing Governors from ruining
the economy and punishing the citizenry, that would have set
up a Constitutional crisis and as we see Courts only involve
themselves on one side of politics now.

Frankly I doubt he could have forced Governors to relent had
he tried.

Taking your question "upside down", could the President have
ruined the economy, stymied travel, forced people indoors
and out of work by ukase? No way, Jose. Presidents do not
have that power.

Presidents set the tone, and the federal government obviously can control interstate travel and many aspects of intra-state commerce, as you know from your frequent citation to Wickard. OSHA can pass COVID regulations, Medicare/CMS can pass hospital standards. The feds can leverage action by withholding federal benefits, and in the extreme case, exercise emergency powers under the NEA. If we can throw the Japanese in camps, we can make people wear masks -- or send troops to the "southern border" or issue ration books for toilet paper. The feds can make GM produce hand sanitizer.

Trump has been pulling those levers throughout his presidency -- punishing "sanctuary" cities and blue states by withholding federal funding. He can even slow COVID vaccine delivery to enemy states (the current conspiracy theory for the reduced deliveries to Oregon). He has demonstrated that yes, Jose, the president can f*** with the states and their citizens quite effectively.

Your Oregon Governor has asked Biden to make a Climate Change lockdown. I hope you realize what that means for you.
Old December 21st 20, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On 12/21/2020 9:07 AM, sms wrote:
[...]

-- Jay Beattie.

And yet in the instant case he did not order infected
patients into care homes (as NY did). All action is not helpful.

With prompt responsive effort DJT supplied several years
worth of ventilators (most of which will go past date
unused) multiple impromptu hospitals built in days not
weeks, largely unusued, two Navy hospital ships one of which
was immediately reworked with different ventilation, almost
completely unused. Governors whined, President indulged them
all with great waste but hardly 'denied'.

p.s. nice play on Wickerd. Now those veins in my forehead
are standing out again dammit.

p.p.s. Remember last spring when the President was widely
ridiculed for saying that we would have a vaccine this year,
perhaps by November? yuk, yuk, yuk what a moron they said.
Now the radio news speaks of the Biden vaccine...

This is why the Lame Stream Media and the Democrats have been attempting to paint these vaccines as dangerous beyond fear.
Old December 21st 20, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 12/21/2020 9:07 AM, sms wrote:
[...]

She did? Or is this yet another example of your delusions? Can you
post a reference?

As an aside someone said that Tommy was so thin and agile and must get
plenty of exercise... jumping to conclusions.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 22nd 20, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 12/21/2020 9:07 AM, sms wrote:
[...]

I don't think Biden is trying to take credit for anything.

Operation Warp Speed was staffed by deep-deep-deep-state HHS and DOD employees and led by a former board member of Moderna. https://www.statnews.com/wp-content/...ed-768x571.jpg Those guys and gals should get some credit.

And the real credit should go to Pfizer, who opted out of Operation Warp Speed. Moderna took Warp Speed money -- and got second place, but second place is not so bad since its vaccine appears to be more easily deliverable. In light of the massive market upside, one wonders whether federal intervention really played any role in getting any vaccine. The EUAs were issued in the ordinary time, and BTW, FDA/HHS are knocking those things out like crazy for other non-vaccine countermeasures.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old December 22nd 20, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/21/2020 3:34 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

"Oregon Governor has asked Biden to make a Climate Change lockdown"?

She did? Or is this yet another example of your delusions? Can you
post a reference?

A new word was coined for people like Tom, "agnorant." Definition:
people who are extremely ignorant, yet are simultaneously extremely
arrogant. Example: people who think they know more about science than
scientists.
Old December 23rd 20, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 15:45:27 -0800, sms
wrote:

On 12/21/2020 3:34 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

"Oregon Governor has asked Biden to make a Climate Change lockdown"?

She did? Or is this yet another example of your delusions? Can you
post a reference?

A new word was coined for people like Tom, "agnorant." Definition:
people who are extremely ignorant, yet are simultaneously extremely
arrogant. Example: people who think they know more about science than
scientists.

Well, of course they do. Tom has repeatedly told us how often he has
had to crack the whip over a bunch of engineers, doctors, and others
with excessive education.

And... his work history shows a series of short term employment which
is positive proof that his system works.

(or is that his system proves to result in short term employment?)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 23rd 20, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:
On 12/21/2020 3:34 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

"Oregon Governor has asked Biden to make a Climate Change lockdown"?

She did? Or is this yet another example of your delusions? Can you
post a reference?

A new word was coined for people like Tom, "agnorant." Definition:
people who are extremely ignorant, yet are simultaneously extremely
arrogant. Example: people who think they know more about science than
scientists.

Well, of course they do. Tom has repeatedly told us how often he has
had to crack the whip over a bunch of engineers, doctors, and others
with excessive education.

And... his work history shows a series of short term employment which
is positive proof that his system works.

(or is that his system proves to result in short term employment?)

Perhaps if you had the slightest inkling of what an engineering job is you would be able to make an educated statement about it. You use engineers to invent and/or develop and idea. They are expensive so after you have your product you only need maintenance engineers and production engineers to produce your product so they are laid off. Most of the time you hire development engineers on contract or as a "consultant". I wasn't making a quarter of a million dollars a year to teach some moron like you how to install IC's into a printed circuit board. And the fact that they no longer hire non-degreed engineers in Silicon Valley is why the area has become a technological graveyard. I was not in the least unusual until the Indians became the heads of the human resources departments which were previously called "personnel departments" and had a great deal less power in a company. It would appear that having people with degrees from prestigious universities is now more important to investors than actual success in invention and development of a product.
Old December 23rd 20, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Tuesday, December 22, 2020 at 3:45:31 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 12/21/2020 3:34 PM, John B. wrote:

snip
"Oregon Governor has asked Biden to make a Climate Change lockdown"?

She did? Or is this yet another example of your delusions? Can you
post a reference?

A new word was coined for people like Tom, "agnorant." Definition:
people who are extremely ignorant, yet are simultaneously extremely
arrogant. Example: people who think they know more about science than
scientists.

Shouldn't you be acting like a politician in the Silicon Valley area? People like you took the most advanced product research and development area in the entire world and turned it into a garbage heap and believe that you should be applauded for that. Being stupid, as you are, should have prevented you from ever gaining office which demonstrates that the Democrats would support anyone as long as they attend to attacking the opposition and teaching their "subjects" to bear up to the whip.

20" 406 Tube Shortage sms Techniques 2 June 26th 16 07:17 AM
The Carnage of the Bicycle Continues... Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen UK 0 May 15th 16 08:07 PM
Bicycle Safety Week - and the helmet debate continues Anton Berlin Racing 0 November 1st 09 04:47 PM
Time Magazine Article on the Bicycle Shortage SMS General 2 September 10th 08 02:06 AM
Ridgeback shortage? anon UK 8 August 1st 04 11:18 PM