A new cell phone experience

Old February 26th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default A new cell phone experience

Pardon the rant.

On my commute to work this morning I was making a left turn on to a
side street. A BMW SUV was pulling out from the side street, also
making a left turn. I could see that the driver was on the phone and
didn't see me. So I yelled at him. I got his attention and, although
he continued to pull out, he slowed enough to not hit me.

As I went by his car I saw that his window as down and at the moment
he was no more than five feet from me. I yelled loudly "Get off the
phone".

From the look on his face it was obvious that my yelling at him did

not even register. His mind was totally absorbed by what he was
listening to on the phone, maybe his bank account, or a voice mail
from his boss telling him he's fired or who knows what. That blank
look was a totally new experience.

If someone yelling in his face doesn't register then his mind can't
possibly be focused enough for him to drive.

What can you possible do about someone like that? It seems like
Darwin in reverse. This moron will live and people like me will die.

End of rant.
Tom

Old February 26th 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Feb 26, 12:59 pm, "
wrote:
Pardon the rant.

On my commute to work this morning I was making a left turn on to a
side street. A BMW SUV was pulling out from the side street, also
making a left turn. I could see that the driver was on the phone and
didn't see me. So I yelled at him. I got his attention and, although
he continued to pull out, he slowed enough to not hit me.

As I went by his car I saw that his window as down and at the moment
he was no more than five feet from me. I yelled loudly "Get off the
phone".

From the look on his face it was obvious that my yelling at him did

not even register. His mind was totally absorbed by what he was
listening to on the phone, maybe his bank account, or a voice mail
from his boss telling him he's fired or who knows what. That blank
look was a totally new experience.

If someone yelling in his face doesn't register then his mind can't
possibly be focused enough for him to drive.

What can you possible do about someone like that? It seems like
Darwin in reverse. This moron will live and people like me will die.

End of rant.
Tom

Write your congressman.

Seriously. Write your congressman (sorry: congressional
representative).

California's implementing a "hands-free or nothing" law in something
like 7/08, BUT ... that seems like a gift to the hands-free
manufacturers; nothing more.

The studies all seem to agree that the problem isn't the hands; it's
the mind.

Write your congressional representative and urge them to implement a
distracted driver law. They can make it a primary infraction (can be
pulled over for that alone), a secondary infraction (if pulled over
for something else, they can then ticket you for the distraction, if
noted), or .... whatever.

I think it's a valid issue and a worthy cause. YMMV ... and hopefully
you'll get lots of mileage to HAVE it vary ;-)

Old February 26th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

wrote:
::
:: What can you possible do about someone like that? It seems like
:: Darwin in reverse.

Actually, not.

Old February 26th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

California's implementing a "hands-free or nothing" law in something
like 7/08, BUT ... that seems like a gift to the hands-free
manufacturers; nothing more.

The studies all seem to agree that the problem isn't the hands; it's
the mind.

I disagree that the law is useless. Even if driving distracted from having a
cell phone wired to your ear is dangerous, you're still at least sending a
message to drivers that cell phone use, in general, is something that can
create problems.

I'm curious how the law is going to go over with the average cop though.
Why? Because I have seen them *frequently* talking on cell phones,
presumably personal, while driving. My guess is that they're not allowed to
wear something (like a hands-free earpiece) that might interefere with their
ability to hear things while on the job, unless it's part of the job.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 26, 12:59 pm, "
wrote:
Pardon the rant.

On my commute to work this morning I was making a left turn on to a
side street. A BMW SUV was pulling out from the side street, also
making a left turn. I could see that the driver was on the phone and
didn't see me. So I yelled at him. I got his attention and, although
he continued to pull out, he slowed enough to not hit me.

As I went by his car I saw that his window as down and at the moment
he was no more than five feet from me. I yelled loudly "Get off the
phone".

From the look on his face it was obvious that my yelling at him did

Old February 27th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
catzz66

wrote:
[cell phone rant]
What can you possible do about someone like that?

Do your best to stay out of their way.
Old February 27th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Marz

On Feb 26, 6:57 pm, Dane Buson wrote:

What can you possible do about someone like that? It seems like
Darwin in reverse. This moron will live and people like me will die.

California's implementing a "hands-free or nothing" law in something
like 7/08, BUT ... that seems like a gift to the hands-free
manufacturers; nothing more.

The studies all seem to agree that the problem isn't the hands; it's
the mind.

Yup. Most people have trouble paying attention while driving without
adding additional distractions. I doubt hands-free makes any
difference.

So you're suggesting that the driver be cocooned in a box in the car
where they can't talk to other people in the car, listen to music or a
hands free phone. People have managed to drive a car and hold a
conversation for years, why does the fact the other person in the
converstion is on the end of a phone make any difference? Is it the
poor quality of reception, do we have to listen harder to a cell phone
conversation? All the test's I've seen compare driving in a quiet car
with no distractions to driving with a phone held to one ear. And yes
there will be a difference in response times, similiar maybe to being
drunk. But what about people who listen to loud music, have 4 kids in
the car or a bunch of chatty friends? Is cell phone use a worse
distraction than a crying baby on the back seat?

Write your congressional representative and urge them to implement a
distracted driver law. They can make it a primary infraction (can be
pulled over for that alone), a secondary infraction (if pulled over
for something else, they can then ticket you for the distraction, if
noted), or .... whatever.

I'd prefer a ban on cellphones while driving. I believe England has
such a law on the books (with spotty enforcement).

--
Dane Buson -
The only real advantage to punk music is that nobody can whistle it.

Old February 27th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Curtis L. Russell

On 27 Feb 2007 07:55:49 -0800, "Marz" wrote:

All the test's I've seen compare driving in a quiet car
with no distractions to driving with a phone held to one ear.

That makes only a small difference. A person's attention to the here
and now is much less when talking on a cell phone, even one that works
through car mounted speakers and phone, than when talking to someone
in the same car. Of course a person that is talking on a cell phone
with no other distractions and conciously attempting to pay attention
can do better than a clueless moron with four kids in the car, using
one hand to hold a cigarette and checking his or her hair in the rear
view mirror. The bottom line is that you are better off not trying any
of the above.

OTOH, it is statistically even more dangerous to pull to the side of
the road and talk. Unless you can pull into a safe parking area, you
are better off just putting off the call.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Cell Phone Risks Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 42 December 8th 06 06:37 PM
Cell Phone [email protected] General 2 April 29th 05 12:56 PM
GPS CELL PHONE Equiped g.daniels Techniques 0 July 18th 03 03:43 PM