wheel - rim upgrade??

Old December 4th 04, 10:38 PM
live-free

Default wheel - rim upgrade??

I have these cheap 26x1 3/8 rims, and want to upgrade them to a more
common and readily available size, I seem to have enough clearence in
both the front and rear to go up a bit in size to something more
standard. What would be the next size up from this?

Ken
Old December 5th 04, 08:14 AM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

live-free wrote:

I have these cheap 26x1 3/8 rims, and want to upgrade them
to a more common and readily available size, I seem to have
enough clearence in both the front and rear to go up a bit
in size to something more standard.

You may be able to fit 700C rims & tyres if you have the room; the only
problem will be the brakes, which may not have a reach long enough to
fit, requiring replacement brakes. Most bikes with 26x1-3/8 tyres were
not high quality to begin with, so you may find a newer bike to be more
satisfactory.

Old December 5th 04, 04:22 PM
bfd

"LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m" wrote in
message newsrzsd.175423$cJ3.157497@fed1read06...
live-free wrote:

I have these cheap 26x1 3/8 rims, and want to upgrade them
to a more common and readily available size, I seem to have
enough clearence in both the front and rear to go up a bit
in size to something more standard.

You may be able to fit 700C rims & tyres if you have the room; the only
problem will be the brakes, which may not have a reach long enough to fit,
requiring replacement brakes. Most bikes with 26x1-3/8 tyres were not high
quality to begin with, so you may find a newer bike to be more
satisfactory.

Alternatively, if you want to keep your rims, there are tires avaiable for
your 590mm, aka 650A rims, and Sheldon Brown has them:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/590.html

Old December 6th 04, 11:43 AM
Ken Marcet

live-free wrote:

I have these cheap 26x1 3/8 rims, and want to upgrade them
to a more common and readily available size, I seem to have
enough clearence in both the front and rear to go up a bit
in size to something more standard.

You may be able to fit 700C rims & tyres if you have the room; the only
problem will be the brakes, which may not have a reach long enough to

fit,
requiring replacement brakes. Most bikes with 26x1-3/8 tyres were not

high
quality to begin with, so you may find a newer bike to be more
satisfactory.

Alternatively, if you want to keep your rims, there are tires avaiable for
your 590mm, aka 650A rims, and Sheldon Brown has them:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/590.html

Well I can find those tires (26 x 1 3/8) in the village where I live at
Wal-Mart and K-Sears I was just curious about upgrade options

Ken

Old December 6th 04, 02:17 PM
daveornee

live-free Wrote:
I have these cheap 26x1 3/8 rims, and want to upgrade them to a more
common and readily available size, I seem to have enough clearence in
both the front and rear to go up a bit in size to something more
standard. What would be the next size up from this?

Ken

There are 2 different 26 X1 3/8 rims with different bead seat
diameters. Schwinn used S-6 designation for 597 mm bead seat diameter
while most "department store" bicycles with that size are 590 bead seat
diameter.

The 2 most popular rim sizes for quality rims are;
700C with 622 mm bead seat diameter
and 26" MTB with 559 mm bead seat diameter.

We have both of the older 26 X 1 3/8 tire bicycles in the household and
haven't found it practical to change either.
Clearance and brake adjustments are the limiting physical reasons, and
$$$ is the other limiting factor.

--
daveornee