blooming considerate motorists - a rant

Old July 18th 03, 01:35 PM
Dave

Default blooming considerate motorists - a rant

"stephen pridgeon" wrote in message
om...
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - considerate motorists who
stop, give way, slow down to let me get past, drive behind me at a
distance when it's not safe to overtake - All these really really
scare me. I'm just not used to it. I expect them to drive
discourtously, then they do something nice and it completely throws me
- sometimes badly.

My pet hate at the moment is when I'm moving up through a traffic
queue, the queue starts to move, and the car immediately in front sees
me and doesn't move off - expecting me to pass it before it moves off.
I wonder why they've stopped, so I have to stop and unclip, then they
move off and I've got to reclip and move off again. God, the hassle.

ARRRGH - I'm cycling like a London Motorist - don'they realise I'm a
lean mean wheel-turning machine, a wannabe messenger, dancing on
pedals and flowing through traffic as a fish through water!!

Damm you all for driving sensibly.

Still, this morning a BMW pulled into a bus lane, and shot off down
it, slowing only marginally for the red light on the pelican crossing.
Restored all my stereotypes about car drivers (and that's all car
drivers, everywhere (but not including me or my wife)).

Thank you
SteveP

Yeahbut...
The one that really gets me is when I've pulled up at a junction in the
wrong gear, waiting for a gap to pull off into, then someone does exactly as
you describe and *politely* lets me in, holding the traffic up to do
so!!...B*st*rds!!...the humiliation of trying to pull out in top gear, with
all these cagers watching, drumming their steering wheels, looking at their
watches, while I strain to get moving, sweat appearing on my brow, veins
pulsing in my neck as I try to change my down tube gearshifter gears,
fluffing it, crunching, slipping and finally catching it, climbing back in
the saddle and still having to acknowledge their generosity with a cheery
wave over my shoulder as I finally get under way and start picking some
speed up...oh, the humiliation - they really know how to kick a guy when
he's down!!!

Dave ;-)
(happy now!)

Old July 18th 03, 02:29 PM
Succorso

"stephen pridgeon" wrote in message
om...
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - considerate motorists who
stop, give way, slow down to let me get past, drive behind me at a
distance when it's not safe to overtake - All these really really
scare me. I'm just not used to it. I expect them to drive
discourtously, then they do something nice and it completely throws me
- sometimes badly.

Of course, some (many?) of us here are also car drivers - perhaps we are
more cycle-friendly than others.

But I know what you mean...

--
Succorso

Old July 18th 03, 04:09 PM
Cupra

"stephen pridgeon" wrote in message =
om...
| I've said it before, and I'll say it again - considerate motorists who
| stop, give way, slow down to let me get past, drive behind me at a
| distance when it's not safe to overtake - All these really really
| scare me. I'm just not used to it. I expect them to drive
| discourtously, then they do something nice and it completely throws me
| - sometimes badly.
|=20
| My pet hate at the moment is when I'm moving up through a traffic
| queue, the queue starts to move, and the car immediately in front sees
| me and doesn't move off - expecting me to pass it before it moves off.
| I wonder why they've stopped, so I have to stop and unclip, then they
| move off and I've got to reclip and move off again. God, the hassle.
|=20
| ARRRGH - I'm cycling like a London Motorist - don'they realise I'm a
| lean mean wheel-turning machine, a wannabe messenger, dancing on
| pedals and flowing through traffic as a fish through water!!
|=20
| Damm you all for driving sensibly.
|=20
| Still, this morning a BMW pulled into a bus lane, and shot off down
| it, slowing only marginally for the red light on the pelican crossing.
| Restored all my stereotypes about car drivers (and that's all car
| drivers, everywhere (but not including me or my wife)).
|=20
| Thank you
| SteveP

It's interesting that the most considerate drivers I have experienced =
over the past few days are Truck drivers and White Van Man..... the self =
same groups that most motorists berate!! (and the worst.... Black VW =
Golf drivers and silver Vectras!)

---
Old July 18th 03, 04:27 PM
Jim Price

stephen pridgeon wrote:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - considerate motorists who
stop, give way, slow down to let me get past, drive behind me at a
distance when it's not safe to overtake - All these really really
scare me. I'm just not used to it. I expect them to drive
discourtously, then they do something nice and it completely throws me
- sometimes badly.

My pet hate at the moment is

snip

My pet hate is the motorist on the oposite side of the road who flashes
me to turn right, and wonders why I don't move. The reason is usually
they are trying to get me to turn right into the path of the regular
motorist undertaking them on their left. Its even worse if its a van or
lorry.

Even in a car I hate it when people think they are being polite by
giving way when they have the right of way, as it causes uncertainty
(except when they are letting you out of a side road - even that can
cause confusion if anyone hesitates).

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Old July 18th 03, 05:19 PM
Tony W

"Succorso" wrote in message

Of course, some (many?) of us here are also car drivers - perhaps we are
more cycle-friendly than others.

Not last night I wasn't. A rampant bug has left me with wobbly legs and
zero energy so I drove to a meeting last night. Town blocked up with mobile
greenhouses (now I know why I cycle -- its quicker).

Guy (not Guy, you understand -- he's in Reading but this young bloke) on a
yellow hack MTB skims off the pavement just in front of me (and gets an
irritated hoot). I pass him but he skims past my offside at the lights,
across onto the other pavement and over a ped crossing into the pedestrian
area (I've not described the geography well -- but just stay with me).

An AGE later I have struggled round the inner ring road and start to make my
way out of town -- and guess who zips across another ped crossing 50 yards
ahead of me and disappears.

*******. To take that long getting through the town centre he must have
stopped for a pint, a coffee or (just maybe) at the library to read War &
Peace.

I hate him -- for two reasons.

1. He had no consideration for others or for the rules of the road.

2. He was on a bike and not caught up in a traffic jam.

******* : (

Old July 18th 03, 07:47 PM
Tony W

"Graham Wakley" wrote in message
In my experience of motorists/cyclists I, in conjunction with my
cycling buddies have come up with a way of remembering what the driver
of what car will be like:

Audi = Asshole
BMW = *******

Cadillac?
Ford?
Toyota?

Old July 18th 03, 09:38 PM
Orienteer

"Graham Wakley" wrote in message
In my experience of motorists/cyclists I, in conjunction with my
cycling buddies have come up with a way of remembering what the driver
of what car will be like:

Audi = Asshole
BMW = *******

I finally realised what BMW stands for; the middle word is Minded.....

Old July 19th 03, 12:22 AM
Garry Broad

Even in a car I hate it when people think they are being polite by
giving way when they have the right of way, as it causes uncertainty
(except when they are letting you out of a side road - even that can
cause confusion if anyone hesitates).

Too true. I was blabbering on about this the other week. I failed my
driving test on this very issue, first time around. You got the right
of way = you go. That's just good driving. Nothing else.

Garry

Old July 19th 03, 01:24 AM
James Hodson

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:27:38 +0100, Jim Price
wrote:

My pet hate is the motorist on the oposite side of the road who flashes
me to turn right, and wonders why I don't move. The reason is usually
they are trying to get me to turn right into the path of the regular
motorist undertaking them on their left. Its even worse if its a van or
lorry.

Even in a car I hate it when people think they are being polite by
giving way when they have the right of way, as it causes uncertainty
(except when they are letting you out of a side road - even that can
cause confusion if anyone hesitates).

Hi Jim

All that up there ^^^^^ usually causes more delays than if everyone
had behaved in the fashion of a *******, IMO.

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg